The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1932 ford frame differences (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267865)

evobuilder 08-13-2019 08:17 PM

1932 ford frame differences

How many different Ford frames were available in 1932?

I’ve heard three, but not sure what each would be and what the differences are.

I know the most common is the frame with the scallop design on the outer frame rails. What are the others?

I searched here and online for answers but haven’t found the answer yet. Anyone have some knowledge on this?

VeryTangled 08-13-2019 08:31 PM

Re: 1932 ford frame differences

Quote:

Originally Posted by evobuilder (Post 1787747)
Anyone have some knowledge on this?

I wonder... 1932 Fords... Hmmm.

evobuilder 08-13-2019 08:40 PM

VeryTangled.... your comment makes no sense, are you being a smart ass or just did not finish your thought? My question is worthy of feedback from those with knowledge on Ford history.

Andy 08-13-2019 08:52 PM

I have only seen one 32 frame without the roll on the bottom. The owner had beat it flat because he though it was from damage.
David can elaborate about all the running design changes. The rails stayed the same but with reinforcing plates late. The front and center crossmembers had a few changes. They all looked basically the same.

evobuilder 08-13-2019 09:00 PM

Thanks Andy.... I cannot locate David G (?) in search, any idea how to add him to this thread?

deuce_roadster 08-13-2019 09:11 PM

Andy pretty much covered it. All 3 crossmembers had differences throughout the production run. I believe the K member had the most changes, maybe 4. I think the rails did not change. DavidG literally wrote the book on this subject and hopefully will chime in.

evobuilder 08-13-2019 09:18 PM

thanks deuce_roadster.... hopefully this caught @DavidG's eye.

qmdv 08-13-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evobuilder (Post 1787747)
How many different Ford frames were available in 1932?

I’ve heard three, but not sure what each would be and what the differences are.

I know the most common is the frame with the scallop design on the outer frame rails. What are the others?

I searched here and online for answers but haven’t found the answer yet. Anyone have some knowledge on this?

I have never seen a 32 frame without the scallop. Model T's and A's had the bodies above the frame and running boars below the frame. The frames were hidden behind splash aprons. In 32 there were no splash aprons so the frame was exposed to the public. So the scallop followed the flow of the fenders.

DavidG 08-13-2019 11:02 PM

It depends on how you define 'difference'. Apart from the differences between LHD and RHD frames, there were three distinctly different front cross members, three different center cross members, two different rear cross members, and three different sets of side rails (not counting the undocumented side rails without the ridge above the running boards). Some of those changes took place at the same time, so the net number of different frame configurations is at least six for LHD frames that I can document.

Newc 08-13-2019 11:21 PM

The original post did not specify car or 1/2 ton? I have the big trucks 'BB' and they use passenger fenders/hoods , and are curved toward the front half. Newc

DavidG 08-13-2019 11:31 PM

'32 passenger car and commercial vehicle (pickup, station wagon, panel delivery, and sedan delivery) frames were the same at any given time during the model year depending on assembly plant inventories.

evobuilder 08-14-2019 12:23 AM

OK, I am trying to understand the different frame options for 1932 passenger cars, specifically, the frame rails and what the differences are in the 32 frame rails (with scallop design, without scallop design. Length and overall width differences.

deuce lover 08-14-2019 01:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a chassis a friend has and the frame has no scallop

Mart 08-14-2019 03:54 AM

The rear crossmembers were changed to accommodate the strengtheners fitted over the rear axle.

DavidG 08-14-2019 07:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The overall length and width of the passenger car/commercial vehicle frames were unchanged from job #1 to last job.

I'll amend my statement above to confine it to North American production as the photos Sheldon has provided are of a European frame.

Mart,

There were two versions of those reinforcements (in North American production). The first were attached outside the frame and could be fitted post production and the second were spot welded to the inside of the frame rails necessitating a shortening of the rear cross member. The first versions were used only very briefly and are rarely encountered on surviving frames.

glennpm 08-14-2019 12:08 PM

Hi Evobuilder, do you get it now? ;-)

"I wonder... 1932 Fords... Hmmm"

DavidG Rehor is our expert! Buy his books if you want to know everything about '32s He ALWAYS helps on this site.

https://shop.efv8.org/collections/fo...tbound-all-new

woodiewagon46 08-14-2019 12:09 PM

As David mentions there were probably dozens of small changes to the '32 frame. When people say all Model A frames were the same I have to laugh. There were four major changes and over two dozen minor changes such as added and deleted bolt holes, changes in bolt hole sizes, etc.

Kube 08-14-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1787866)
The overall length and width of the passenger car/commercial vehicle frames were unchanged from job #1 to last job.

I'll amend my statement above to confine it to North American production as the photos Sheldon has provided are of a European frame.

Mart,

There were two versions of those reinforcements (in North American production). The first were attached outside the frame and could be fitted post production and the second were spot welded to the inside of the frame rails necessitating a shortening of the rear cross member. The first versions were used only very briefly and are rarely encountered on surviving frames.

Dave, you continue to amaze me.

DavidG 08-14-2019 12:43 PM

Thanks, guys!

bluardun 08-14-2019 12:56 PM

Ah no: THANK YOU DAVID. Your knowledge and taking time to share it is always appreciated.