The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Electric Wiper Questions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257970)

Pilotdave 01-21-2019 12:12 PM

Electric Wiper Questions

I'm playing with a 6v Heinz Model 1 wiper unit and am hoping for some advice on two things:

1. Initially the motor didn't run. The commutator slots were clogged. I gently cleaned the slots using a small screwdriver. I tested the motor with no load and with the cover removed. It runs but I see small orange sparks at both brushes as the commutator spins. Is the sparking normal? If not, how would I correct it?

2. The motor drives several gears - what type of grease would be best to lube the gears?

Thanks much.
Dave

ryanheacox 01-21-2019 12:23 PM

Re: Electric Wiper Questions

I would say the sparking is normal as long as it isn't excessive. Small orange sparks sound okay to me.

As for grease I'd think something light but thick enough to cling to the gears. My first thought was grease designed for the small gears in model railroad locomotives.

Maybe this? https://labelle-lubricants.com/shop/...ase-with-ptfe/

DHZIEMAN 01-21-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilotdave (Post 1718549)
I'm playing with a 6v Heinz Model 1 wiper unit and am hoping for some advice on two things:

1. Initially the motor didn't run. The armature slots were clogged. I gently cleaned the slots using a small screwdriver. I tested the motor with no load and with the cover removed. It runs but I see small orange sparks at both brushes as the armature spins. Is the sparking normal? If not, how would I correct it?

2. The motor drives several gears - what type of grease would be best to lube the gears?

Thanks much.
Dave

I rebuilt another brand motor! On the gear parts, I used vaseline! So far it has been working fine!

Pilotdave 01-21-2019 01:46 PM

Thanks, guys. Vaseline I have in stock!! BTW, I've corrected my original post as I think it should have referred to the"commutator" rather than the "armature".

I've been doing a little research elsewhere online - saw that scratches on the commutator surface may cause sparking. I'm suspecting that I might have scratched it when I cleaned the slots. Will investigate and carefully buff the surface.

ryanheacox 01-21-2019 01:54 PM

Really overthought that one.. vaseline would probably be perfect!

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-21-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1718599)
Really overthought that one.. vaseline would probably be perfect!

Chief would say, "If it won't fit, use Vaseline"
Bill W.

California Travieso 01-21-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1718728)
Chief would say, "If it won't fit, use Vaseline"
Bill W.

Wow, you're on the way to recovery Bill. Glad you're feeling better.

David Serrano

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-22-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Travieso (Post 1718730)
Wow, you're on the way to recovery Bill. Glad you're feeling better.

David Serrano

David,
It's the shits, when you have to learn to TALK, again!!!---BUT, it's going good. I practice on the Dog!
Bill Babbling

1931 flamingo 01-22-2019 02:45 PM

Nice to see you posting again Bill :):cool::):D.
Paul in CT

Smooth_One 01-22-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1718875)
David,
It's the shits, when you have to learn to TALK, again!!!---BUT, it's going good. I practice on the Dog!
Bill Babbling

Good to hear from you again Bill!!

Now if the dog talks back then we've got problems...

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-22-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth_One (Post 1719023)
Good to hear from you again Bill!!

Now if the dog talks back then we've got problems...

He talks in his own ways. I can interpret his moves & know what he is "saying"---He's an AMAZING Dog, BUT, he will NEVER play ball----LOL
Bill W.

pgerhardt 01-23-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilotdave (Post 1718549)

1. Initially the motor didn't run. The commutator slots were clogged. I gently cleaned the slots using a small screwdriver. I tested the motor with no load and with the cover removed. It runs but I see small orange sparks at both brushes as the commutator spins. Is the sparking normal? If not, how would I correct it?

Thanks much.
Dave

I am glad to see you are going through the trouble of getting your electric wiper going. Not many do. The next time you are at a show look at all the model A's that should have electric wipers, and you will find few that still do. Here is a tip: I found that the ground to the windshield frame was not reliable even though it was paint free, and I use a "star" lock washer. I ran a separate ground wire down to the body, and mine has been a rock solid performer ever since. It is very nice to have a wiper that doesn't slow down or stop when accelerating or going up hill!

DHZIEMAN 01-23-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilotdave (Post 1718595)
Thanks, guys. Vaseline I have in stock!! BTW, I've corrected my original post as I think it should have referred to the"commutator" rather than the "armature".

I've been doing a little research elsewhere online - saw that scratches on the commutator surface may cause sparking. I'm suspecting that I might have scratched it when I cleaned the slots. Will investigate and carefully buff the surface.

What I did on my wiper motor clean up, on the commutator, is I did not use any kind of sandpaper on the commutator, I used a clean new metal file and gently cleaned it up. Mine was level and just dirty from sitting. I then undercut the commutator insulators after cleaning the copper part, then washed everything with parts cleaner and then Alcohol. I actually made a small jig to hold the armature so I could turn it, holding the file on it. Worked perfect! Take your time!

ryanheacox 01-23-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1719191)
I am glad to see you are going through the trouble of getting your electric wiper going. Not many do. The next time you are at a show look at all the model A's that should have electric wipers, and you will find few that still do. Here is a tip: I found that the ground to the windshield frame was not reliable even though it was paint free, and I use a "star" lock washer. I ran a separate ground wire down to the body, and mine has been a rock solid performer ever since. It is very nice to have a wiper that doesn't slow down or stop when accelerating or going up hill!

The fact that the motor is mounted with rubber insulators doesn't help much either.

Mine works pretty well but only when the windshield is closed, must be a grounding issue. But then why would you run your wiper with the windshield open :D

Pilotdave 01-23-2019 06:30 PM

I appreciate the grounding and commutator clean-up suggestions, guys. I have been reluctant to remove the commutator but have concluded that I ought to do so. Any tips? And one question: how exactly does one "undercut the commutator insulators"? Thanks again!

DHZIEMAN 01-24-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilotdave (Post 1719332)
I appreciate the grounding and commutator clean-up suggestions, guys. I have been reluctant to remove the commutator but have concluded that I ought to do so. Any tips? And one question: how exactly does one "undercut the commutator insulators"? Thanks again!

Undercutting! My motor situation was one of more cleaning between copper segments, rather than undercutting. So in my comments, I used the wrong word What I used to accomplish that was an old hack saw blade that I cut down to the right width to assure there was no copper flakes or copper shorting between each bar. Actual undercutting equipment as I remember, even small manual devices are expensive and are available for larger commutators. If you do all you can to assure no copper between commutator segments and then install all parts and brushes and the motor runs without sparks at the brushes, you should be fine.

Pilotdave 01-24-2019 10:16 PM

DHZIEMAN - thanks for the explanation. I think I've got it, by gar!

Dave