The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '41 Brake Pedal Bushing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244494)

drolston 05-17-2018 10:32 AM

'41 Brake Pedal Bushing

The brake pedal is a little loose on its pivot and I have the replacement bushing. Pulled the floorboard last night and am wondering if I can even get the pedal off of the pivot, due to little clearance between the brake pedal pivot and the side of the transmission.

I guess I could remove the side plate from the transmission, but would rather avoid, if possible. So, will the pedal come off without taking other stuff apart, or not?

Are there any tricks in removing and replacing the copper (bronze?) bushing?

Thanks,

cmbrucew 05-17-2018 02:38 PM

Re: '41 Brake Pedal Bushing

I would put the floor back in and think about it for a while. I do not believe you should remove the side plate. Difficult to remove and much harder to replace.
JMHO
Bruce

drolston 05-17-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbrucew (Post 1630166)
I would put the floor back in and think about it for a while. I do not believe you should remove the side plate. Difficult to remove and much harder to replace.
JMHO
Bruce

I have had top off of floor shift a few times with not too much trouble, but never taken the side off of a column shift. What makes that difficult? Is it a lack of room to maneuver the forks out and back on, when the transmission is in the car?

svm99 05-17-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1630176)
I have had top off of floor shift a few times with not too much trouble, but never taken the side off of a column shift. What makes that difficult? Is it a lack of room to maneuver the forks out and back on, when the transmission is in the car?

Yes, you've answered your question. It's probably better to remove the complete pedal assembly, that way you can hone the bushing to fit the shaft and polish the shaft or replace if badly worn.

drolston 05-18-2018 10:38 AM

I will dismount the pedal assembly far enough to get the brake pedal off. The bushing on the clutch side is fine.

Are there any tricks to get the new bushing in? Do I need a press, or can I do it with a mallet and some finesse?

19Fordy 05-18-2018 02:20 PM

Would be nice if you have a pilot shaft with correct ID and OD of bushing so bushing goes in squarely without collapsing. Kind of like a cam bearing install tool, only much smaller. If you have a lathe you can make one.

FlatheadTed 05-18-2018 03:20 PM

You may be able to remove it by using something like a small screw driver in the edge and collapse the bush .If the bush is a .3 Thou interference fit it should tap in with a small steel hammer tapping evenly around the edge ,if its larger it might collapse ,it may need reaming to fit the shaft .

Bob NH 05-18-2018 05:39 PM

For items like this I usually use a bench vise and press them in. Sometimes you would like to be blessed with three hands !