The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   X3 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220642)

captndan 05-11-2017 08:38 PM

X3

Three batteries from O'Reillys fail within a month. What's going on here? Went to Advance Auto and their best 12v mower battery only has a 3 month warranty.
I wonder if lead acid batteries are on the way out.

Gary/IA 05-11-2017 09:59 PM

Re: X3

Interesting, I am not sure I will ever use our local O'Reillys again. I parked right in front of the door and when I went to leave my battery was completely dead. Went back in and purchased a new one for $125 explaining to them that I just had a kidney removed and couldn't lift more than 5 pounds. They took my money and then informed me because it was Saturday and that because they were busy they couldn't take time to carry my battery out and put it under the hood but would probably be able to Monday. They sat my battery on the counter and there I stood, boy! what kind of customer service is that?

I had to hire a customer to do the job for me. If their batteries last 100 years, I will buy my next one some place else.

Apologize for the rant, just trying to get it out of my system

SeaSlugs 05-11-2017 10:19 PM

I only buy batteries from farm stores and have had great success. One for my s10 and chevette is $54.99, riding mower batteries are like $20-30 depending on the CCA. 6v batteries $40....all seem to last forever.

Pinesdune 05-12-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1471241)
I only buy batteries from farm stores and have had great success. One for my s10 and chevette is $54.99, riding mower batteries are like $20-30 depending on the CCA. 6v batteries $40....all seem to last forever.

X2- if you look at the cranking amp spec on a lot of farm duty batteries it's less for the exact same physical size of battery. They claim it's due to fact that there are less , yet heavier plates in them. I rarely have trouble with them and I have around 20 in use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaSlugs 05-12-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinesdune (Post 1471355)
X2- if you look at the cranking amp spec on a lot of farm duty batteries it's less for the exact same physical size of battery. They claim it's due to fact that there are less , yet heavier plates in them. I rarely have trouble with them and I have around 20 in use

farm use aka tractor use aka vibration machines:p probably need heavier plates so they dont vibrate apart internally and crap out.

Pinesdune 05-12-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1471374)
farm use aka tractor use aka vibration machines:p probably need heavier plates so they dont vibrate apart internally and crap out.

Exactlyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f3f9da2a23.jpg

There's 3 in that girl alone.

On a side note, anyone looking to learn how to change tires or pack wheel bearings, my annual "clinic" is held every spring prior to seeding season [emoji23]

Al 29Tudor 05-12-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary/IA (Post 1471231)
Interesting, I am not sure I will ever use our local O'Reillys again. I parked right in front of the door and when I went to leave my battery was completely dead. Went back in and purchased a new one for $125 explaining to them that I just had a kidney removed and couldn't lift more than 5 pounds. They took my money and then informed me because it was Saturday and that because they were busy they couldn't take time to carry my battery out and put it under the hood but would probably be able to Monday. They sat my battery on the counter and there I stood, boy! what kind of customer service is that?

I had to hire a customer to do the job for me. If their batteries last 100 years, I will buy my next one some place else.

Apologize for the rant, just trying to get it out of my system

Always good to know who is good and who is bad

SeaSlugs 05-12-2017 08:36 AM

weve had alot of duds from autozone over the years too. like to crap out right outside any warranty (silver and gold level - not those cheap valuecrap branded ones)

Tom Wesenberg 05-12-2017 10:34 AM

When I was at STUDEBAKER INTERNATIONAL last week, they had those bottles of battery rejuvenator for only $1 each, so I bought 3 as display items. I might try one in a battery to see if it works.

SI is where Studebaker built the trucks, and is now a giant parts warehouse for NOS and related Studebaker parts.

3.6rs 05-12-2017 11:27 PM

I have great experiances with O'Reillys.
(Because they don't exist over here :D)

Kurt in NJ 05-13-2017 07:09 AM

Over 50% of all replaced batterys are good, I get most of my batterys off the junk pile, I get 5-10 years from them---but thye autozone batterys, bosch, and other discount store brands are poor canidates, many of those look new but are bad

Tom Wesenberg 05-13-2017 09:31 AM

When I bought three 6 volt batteries over 13 years ago at the recycle yard I also found a smaller lawn tractor battery with a Panasonic label. The post was broken and missing, so I soldered a copper strap to the lead, and used that battery for 5 more years. That battery weighs about twice as much as most of the cheap lawn tractor batteries, so you know it has lots of plate area, or very thick plates for long life.

captndan 05-13-2017 10:07 AM

Maybe answered my own question. The're supposed to be building a new O'Reillys just down the road. The site work was complete in three days. That was two months ago. No work since. Maybe they bought their own batteries.

Tom Wesenberg 05-13-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captndan (Post 1471936)
Maybe answered my own question. The're supposed to be building a new O'Reillys just down the road. The site work was complete in three days. That was two months ago. No work since. Maybe they bought their own batteries.

They probably interrupted the life cycle of the rare rat tailed sniper ant colony, so now they have to hire layers and write a 1000 page report on what effect the new building will have on the environment for the next 100 years. :eek:

Anteek29 05-13-2017 11:34 AM

I've heard Optima batteries are the best - but a bit pricey. Folks tell me they last 5-10 years. Just ordered a new 6 volt Red Top Optima for my '41 P-U.

captndan 05-13-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1471956)
They probably interrupted the life cycle of the rare rat tailed sniper ant colony, so now they have to hire layers and write a 1000 page report on what effect the new building will have on the environment for the next 100 years. :eek:

Don't get me started on that subject. I'm retired now.

Growley bear 05-14-2017 02:49 PM

Optima batteries need to be charged with an alternator. A generator won't do the job. I installed a 6V optima with a 35 A generator from a '49 Ford and:
The ammeter went crazy and I could not properly adjust the voltage regulator. I load tested the battery one morning, tested good, got to my destination and shut the engine down. When I got ready to leave, the battery wouldn't even cause the slightest glow in the cowl lamps. Through experience I learned that the Optima acts like a Ni Cad battery. I gave the optima to a friend who has a 6V alternator; he has had no problems and I installed a 6V lead acid battery and was able to properly adjust the voltage regulator with steady ammeter. This happened about three years and 3500 miles ago and there have been no problems with either car.
The optima company will tell you in a round about way that a generator isn't suitable for charging an optima battery. I found out that they were right.

In the case of some lead acid batteries lasting longer than others, I have found that the cheaper ones with more space at the bottom of the case seem to last longer because more time is needed before the lead oxide builds up enough to short out the plates.

J Franklin 05-14-2017 03:20 PM

Has anybody tried the Epsom salts trick of bringing a battery back from the dead?

nhusa 05-14-2017 03:34 PM

I just got a 6 v Duracell battery for my wife's Model A from Batterys plus. After the trade in and discount for ordering on line the out the door cost was about $65.00

wmws 05-14-2017 03:43 PM

I have had good luck with Walmart 12 volt batteries. I get about 5-6 years out of them so for the price thats not bad. For 6 volt I use farm store batteries.