The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Getting ready to swap engines (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213929)

Art Newland 01-31-2017 12:56 PM

Getting ready to swap engines

2 Attachment(s)
I'm ready to go pick up a hoist and do my engine swap. I had purchased a new clutch and pressure plate some time ago, before I started hearing all the bad news about disc springs falling out. The disc I have is like this one from Synders. The openings around the springs are smaller than the diameter of the springs, even the wider part of the hole in the center. Any one ever seen a spring pop out of this style?

Spokes 01-31-2017 01:08 PM

Re: Getting ready to swap engines

Call Synders, ask them the Question.They will answer your question. Nice looking A

Mitch//pa 01-31-2017 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is from brattons.....u want the slanted spring retainers
Ur pic does not appear to have them

Art Newland 01-31-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1422432)
This is from brattons.....u want the slanted spring retainers
Ur pic does not appear to have them

Brattons has none...

Mitch//pa 01-31-2017 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brattons description

Mitch//pa 01-31-2017 01:22 PM

Try berts

Art Newland 01-31-2017 01:30 PM

Yes, I have one on the way from Bert's.

zzlegend 01-31-2017 01:44 PM

Way to go Art. I just got one from Steve at Berts a couple of weeks ago. Good choice.

Tom Wesenberg 01-31-2017 02:03 PM

I haven't used one like the first one pictured, but have used the ones that Mitch pictured. That's the style I feel safe to use. Too many horror stories of springs falling out to chance another style.

Art Newland 01-31-2017 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The engine is out! Doesn't look too nasty in the bell housing. Has an aluminum set of float-a-motors, one is cracked nearly all the way through.

SeaSlugs 01-31-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Newland (Post 1422613)
The engine is out! Doesn't look too nasty in the bell housing. Has an aluminum set of float-a-motors, one is cracked nearly all the way through.

IMO I would hunt up the proper ford mounts with a new mounting kit from snyders or brattons with the proper rubber L pad....

Now is the time to check your radius rod bolts in the bell housing and taking care of trans leaks/worn pedal bushings/worn clutch bushings.

MAG 01-31-2017 08:24 PM

I had the unpleasant task of replacing a disk as in Pic. 1 due to a spring coming out of place and wedging in the pressure plate. Probably less than 1,000 miles on it.

Art Newland 01-31-2017 08:55 PM

I have been looking for stock mounts for a while. I now have three, one looks useable even though it's been welded up, the others are junk. I'll keep looking, but for now it's getting a new set of FAM's from Brattons. I have a Mitchell transmission coming in 2-3 months, so it will be coming apart again. What do I need to check with the radius rod bolts?

Tom Wesenberg 02-01-2017 01:38 AM

I agree with using original motor mounts. I've welded up some that were cracked, and they hold up fine.

The rubber motor mount kits that I bought from Snyder's is the correct thickness and a perfect fit.

Art Newland 02-01-2017 07:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, you all inspired me to see about taking my original mounts to a friend that's a good welder, and letting him work them over a bit. One just needed a corner welded. One had the bolt holes severely opened up, so much that you could almost wiggle the head of the bolt through it!:eek:

Hiker 02-01-2017 08:38 PM

Mitch; What do you mean by "slanted spring retainers"? I looked at the picture and can't see it. Thanks.

A question while on the subject; I'm refreshing my spare engine and the pressure plate has what appears to be stress cracks in several areas; who makes the best replacement pressure plate (now that I know who to get the clutch disk from)? I have found Fort Wayne's website as well as the usual parts suppliers who all appear to sell the same stuff for 1/2 the price of the FW equipment. Any help appreciated. Thanks again.

Mitch//pa 02-01-2017 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Compare this area to Art's pic

zzlegend 02-01-2017 10:09 PM

Try this. A better picture in post #4

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213785

Hiker 02-02-2017 09:32 AM

Ah, much better. Now I get it. Thanks guys.

Any suggestions for a replacement rebuilt pressure plate?

SeaSlugs 02-02-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiker (Post 1423212)
Ah, much better. Now I get it. Thanks guys.

Any suggestions for a replacement rebuilt pressure plate?

Berts would be who i would go to. - Probably have rebuilt ORIGONAL pressure plates.