The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First Model A 1930 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205962)

32 chevy vett 09-30-2016 09:40 PM

First Model A 1930

4 Attachment(s)
This is the first model A for me. It is 100% rust free never had rust But best of all it was given to my wife by a friend. It sat outside for five years with a cheap blue tarp over it that had rotted away. And the mice did a job on it.

1930artdeco 09-30-2016 10:03 PM

Re: First Model A 1930

Welcome to the Model A hobby. A little WD40 will preserve the carif you wanted to keep the patina. If not, that is not really rust at all considering some cars I have seen. Throw a seat cover over the seat, rewire her and make her safe to drive and get driving her.

Mike

Mike V. Florida 09-30-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930artdeco (Post 1363017)
Welcome to the Model A hobby. A little WD40 will preserve the carif you wanted to keep the patina. If not, that is not really rust at all considering some cars I have seen. Throw a seat cover over the seat, rewire her and make her safe to drive and get driving her.

Mike

With all the mouse turds and pee, I'm not so sure.

I will agree that there are a variety of ways to keep the exterior look from deteriorating and to get the car running and stopping. It would become the most looked at car where ever you go.

32 chevy vett 09-30-2016 10:29 PM

That was my plan but I started to clean her up and the side panels had way to much mouse pee on them very stinky. I have started a ground on it.
Thank you for the welcome. I like that (Still learning after all these years.)Never stop learning.

Big hammer 10-01-2016 01:38 AM

Welcome to the Barn! Thanks for the smelly mouse pee I have in my nose/head now :-)
I bought a old farm truck once, it was a cool fall evening. When I got it home the weather warmed up and I had the windows up. When I opened the door the pig manure odor knocked me down! I parked it sideways on a hill and hosed it out, but really never got rid of the smell.

C26Pinelake 10-01-2016 04:11 AM

welcome to the Barn. At least the price was right. Wayne

cradlescyth 10-01-2016 04:48 AM

Looks like the one in my garage, except for color.

fire it up and go.

What is the # on block. I have a June of 30.

bobusnick104 10-01-2016 06:05 AM

You will enjoy it more than you thought. Sometimes when I go to the garage I have to think, what will I drive today. The Model A beats the Corvette most times. It brings a smile to people as you drive by, along with a lot of thumbs up. Have fun!

Terry, NJ 10-01-2016 08:06 AM

Welcome to the hobby and the Barn! I have two 30 coupes and I suggest that if the mice were peeing in the car, there's more rust and corrosion than is obvious from the outside. Especially those three rust spots at the bottom of the panel just behind the door. This is a common place for rot on coupes. I also have a 30 Town Sedan. It looked so solid when I bought it. My friend, Chris sandblasted it for me and the sand blew the old paint off of the cowl and it was quite "lacy". (I have pictures of this in my profile under "My A") The point is that this stuff can be deceptive. Sorry If I took some shine off of it for you, that wasn't my intention. Over all, it looks like a really nice body, and I wish someone would give me one too.
Terry

Veger 10-01-2016 09:15 AM

That is just Beautiful! :) Reminds me of our barn find coupe not so much as mice but the flies WOW 30 years of fly crap all over the inside LoL took me a whole week to scrub that out. Even though you can tell it was 30 years of sitting it cleaned up rather well. Pops always ask why we don't restore it. LoL I go WHY it looks GREAT and runs GREAT. I think the outside of the old coupe looks GREAT I would leave that as is if it was mine and just deal with the inside once it was up and running. NICE CAR and Good Luck!

Keep on Truckin'! :)

Barber31 10-01-2016 09:18 AM

Congrats on your new A! I wonder when that shade of blue was popular? My Tudor fenders and body were painted that same shade and I've seen others with the same blue. They've all had about the same patina so I'm assuming it was around the same time they got painted.

Bill Cilker 10-01-2016 09:39 AM

Congratulations on getting a car with original interior. Take lots and lots of pictures of the interior before you take it apart and while you take it apart. My July 1930 coupe still has the original interior in it also. Now go out and join the local Model A Club.

Licensed to kill 10-01-2016 09:57 AM

That is an awesome acquisition. Congratulations. Regarding the mousy interior, I bought a '31 delivery a couple months ago that was stored in a shed for the last 30 years or so and the interior was very mousey. We have had cases of hantavirus around here (three over the last 20 years that I know of) and 2 of the 3 people died, Last case was about 3 years ago. I used my charcoal mask that I wear for painting and cleaned out all the junk that was stored in the back along with any nests I found and burned it, removed the seats, then doused the whole inside with Lysol (lavender scented :) ). I also soaked the seats with it. Bleach would have been fine (I'm recovering the seats anyway) but it's corrosive so I chose Lysol instead. besides, bleach smell isn't much of an improvement. For this large of an area and the desire to soak everything, you can get a little 3 gallon weed sprayer from a hardware store for about $15, fill it and spray LOTS without getting carpal tunnel. hantavirus is rare but is nothing to fool around with.

d. 10-01-2016 04:54 PM

Re: blue, baby blue

about the baby blue color...I'm thinking mid-50's, early 60's. I have lots of parts I collected from that period with the light blue color under later paint jobs.

32 chevy vett 10-01-2016 06:30 PM

Hi d. The baby blue was a repaint. The color was Andalusite Blue.
Bill I did just that I took a lot of photos of the interior as I took it all down. A long with the roof.
Bobusnick 104 I have same problem. I have a 60K street rod its fun. But I still like driving
My 23 T touring. I think you are right I will be driving the A more then the both of them because my wife can't take the cold open cars.

32 chevy vett 10-01-2016 06:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Started to strip her down all the interior is out, roof is off. All the wood is good.I got a good start on removing the paint. A few photos to show the progress.

32 chevy vett 10-24-2016 09:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Striped it down. Sand blasted it. Epoxy primed.

Anteek29 10-24-2016 11:27 AM

Nice work...She's beginning to look pretty :)

32 chevy vett 10-26-2016 07:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Back at it again front fenders and braces off. Sand blasted bumper braces.
Did find rust. Rear fenders. a little in the wheel weld.

32 chevy vett 10-26-2016 07:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cleaned up muffler and covered it with POR.Sand blasted rear bumper braces and painted
with KBS rust seal. A few more parts to seal with KBS and I can start on the frame.