The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Odd Model A gear shift lever (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174904)

P.S. 08-03-2015 12:15 AM

Odd Model A gear shift lever

2 Attachment(s)
Question- The gear shift lever that came with my 31 Tudor seems to be made of machined stainless steel, and is not chrome plated. Please see photos.

It looked so neat, and feels so solid, I just reused it after restoring the car. Does it look like someone spent a ton of time or money making this one-off? Or, did someone make a stainless repro at one point? Trying to discover its origins.

Unfortunately, I am only able it trace this car's history to about 1970, then the trail ends. The man who did its first restoration was a guy that restored several Model As over his lifetime, and was known for spare-no-expense, no detail overlooked restorations. So, this has me puzzled.

Thank you in advance!

Jwilli 08-03-2015 06:01 AM

Re: Odd Model A gear shift lever

I can't answer your question, but you have a very nice gear shift. I see why you kept it.

clo2jim 08-03-2015 06:25 AM

Original gear shifts have a "Butler Finish", not chrome. This if in great shape can have a look of unpolished stainless steel. It certainly looks like yours is in great shape and from the picture it looks like the Butler finish

Bob Bidonde 08-03-2015 07:26 AM

Nice gearshift. I cannot recall anyone producing a stainless gearshift for commercial sale.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-03-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1132544)
Nice gearshift. I cannot recall anyone producing a stainless gearshift for commercial sale.

I stripped the black finish off Vermins' shifter & looks like someone plated it over a MILLION tiny pits! It's a kinda' NIFTY look!
Bill W.

P.S. 08-03-2015 01:51 PM

Thanks guys.

I just went out there with a magnet and it DOES stick. Hmmm... Not stainless. I just assumed it was because of the looks. Very sorry for the confusion, should have checked before assuming.

It just looks and feels like brushed stainless, but it quite clearly is not stainless.

I have scoured the JS many times and could never find anything on the gear shift lever. Was there an update that I may have missed? This is a point car, want to put the (correct) finishing touches on it before the Reno MAFCA nationals.

Thanks again!

160B 08-03-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 1132729)
.......................I have scoured the JS many times and could never find anything on the gear shift lever. Was there an update that I may have missed? This is a point car, want to put the (correct) finishing touches on it before the Reno MAFCA nationals............

RG&JS page 6-7 Revised 2011

P.S. 08-03-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 160B (Post 1132732)
RG&JS page 6-7 Revised 2011

AHHA!! Thank you VERY much!!

OK, I see, "The plating of the gear shift lever was butler nickel with a circumferential grain pattern." That is exactly what it is. Bingo!

The lower bell on mine is bright nickel. Just like the JS says. Looks like it's good to go. I keep that rubber boot on it so it doesn't get scratched. It gets removed for judging.

hangarb7 08-03-2015 03:13 PM

So was the boot not standard? I just bought one for my car and thought it was a missing part because everyone in my club has the rubber ball boot. If so that explains the mystery as to why the bottom of the chromed shifter looks so nice; maybe it wasn't supposed to be covered with a boot?

JackD

160B 08-03-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangarb7 (Post 1132770)
So was the boot not standard? .....................................JackD

The boot was not standard, it is an after market accessory.

taffrail 08-03-2015 05:06 PM

I have a pick up with a black painted shifter, is that correct for a trunk or are they all butler finished?

clo2jim 08-03-2015 05:09 PM

Post #3 had it right

160B 08-03-2015 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taffrail (Post 1132819)
I have a pick up with a black painted shifter, is that correct for a truck or are they all butler finished?

From the RG&JS Heavy Commercial Vehicles page E-10 Revised 1994

........................... The AA 4 speed shift lever and the reverse shift rod were painted black.

Since the pickup is an A and not a AA the shift lever would be butler finish per RG&JS page 6-7 Revised 2011.

mshmodela 08-03-2015 05:55 PM

Looks nice, you've got something special and unique there.

RandyinUtah 08-03-2015 06:01 PM

I have seen butler finish applied to chrome and nickle shifter applied with a Scotch bright pad in a twisting motion down the shaft that turned out quite well..

Larry Jenkins 08-03-2015 09:53 PM

Just to muddy things up, 400 series Stainless is magnetic.

But I think he has a pristine Butler finished lever.

Larry

Joe K 01-07-2024 04:53 PM

And I have two four speed transmissions loose from the truck both of which the gearshift lever has never been painted.

Very flaky though. You can see the copper prep layer.

Joe K

Joe K 01-07-2024 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taffrail (Post 1132819)
I have a pick up with a black painted shifter, is that correct for a trunk or are they all butler finished?

I have made the claim that in trucks Henry tended to "use up" parts considered sub-standard for the domestic car line.

I have also been taken to task "since the judging standards say..."

Um. The judging standards are just one person's opinion at one point in time. Put there as a standard to give SOME guidance for those starting with boxes of parts.

I think I might describe my March 1929 truck as "variable." As in plated but rusted gear shift - rusting to a fault pushbutton e-brake - Instrument Panel painted black. The truck was assembled in Somerville, MA, probably from parts boxes sent along from Dearborn. The frame cross-member is so stamped.

Now I can't follow EVERY trail on this truck since it was "reworked" at least once in its life with the Town of Paxton, MA in the local cemetery. The engine was red - no number and likely a Sears Replacement. I have the frame number now which is how I derived the manufacture date.

But I expect the number was placed there in Michigan - and likely the engine too - hence the likely "together" gear shift and E-brake.

So perhaps the Judging Standards ARE correct - for those vehicles assembled in Michigan?

So to answer your question - yes you can do black. It fits with the overall presentation. Just don't expect to win any prizes.

Joe K

SHEC 01-08-2024 08:38 PM

Just a thought as was noted the original restoration was done by a gentleman that was known for accuracy and this was in the 1970’s. Perhaps he used a genuine Ford NOS shifter as they were available then with some extra effort. It has that correct Butler Satin finish just as our 1930 Deluxe Coupe has. Very nice finish indeed.

P.S. 01-08-2024 09:09 PM

I'm surprised this topic resurfaced all these years later. I got to speak with the widow of the gentleman who did the first restoration of the car. It was indeed a NOS shifter. The crispness of the lines and overall appearance of the metal are what threw me.

Many of the parts on the car were also NOS, like the ammeter, dash panel, pedals, etc. He collected parts for decades for that car. That car has almost no repro parts at all.