The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lost our real guru. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161276)

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-12-2015 03:04 AM

Lost our real guru.

Saddened by the loss of our REAL GURU OF ALL MODEL A STUFF!
Last Saturday, 86 year old Claude Henry passed away. I've quoted his WISDOM many times, here on the Barn. He is credited with the NAIL in the overflow tube trick.
Compared to Claude, I'm just THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF!! Claude was instrumental in helping me find an EXCELLENT care home for my Dear Wife, Pat, a few years back. Wish I knew 1/4 of the stuff he knew & he was one of the FINEST MEN I ever knew.
He would NEVER sell me a part, he'd just GIVE them to me! His Running Board Luggage Rack will adorn Vermin's R/H running board! Rest in peace, Claude!
Bill W.

tbirdtbird 02-12-2015 04:00 AM

Re: Lost our real guru.

I'm sorry for your loss, Bill, it is so hard to see the old timers that we learned everything from pass on. From your description, I am sure he is touring all day long on the gold roads now. dave

C26Pinelake 02-12-2015 04:17 AM

My sincere condolences to you and his family and friends. Obviously you held him in very high esteem as did he you. Cherish the memories you enjoyed together because they are yours to keep forever my friend. May his soul rest in peace and May God bless you and all the other special people in his life. God Bless ! Wayne

colin1928 02-12-2015 05:03 AM

Bill sorry for your loss sure wish I had met him

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-12-2015 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin1928 (Post 1032336)
Bill sorry for your loss sure wish I had met him

Colin,
Claude & his Dear wife, Marge, has visited your world, Marge has relatives here.
Bill W.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-12-2015 06:26 AM

Sympathies to you Bill in your time of hurting.

Big hammer 02-12-2015 07:29 AM

Sorry for your loss. Hope he patented the nail trick.

Mitch//pa 02-12-2015 07:40 AM

pop sorry to hear that and i am sure he is happy that you pass on some of his wisdom to us here on the barn. may he RIP

Skibb 02-12-2015 10:08 AM

Bill, please accept my condolences for your loss. Claude's idea of using a nail in the overflow saved my engine. You and he made a great team.

31 Model A 02-12-2015 10:17 AM

My sincere condolences..............

Willie Krash 02-12-2015 11:17 AM

Condolences as well Bill and to his family. My 87 year dad passed last December. It was his wish.

Fullraceflathead 02-12-2015 11:35 AM

Sorry to hear of the Passing of another "Great One" in the History of the Vintage Fords.
Another reason to Listen and Learn when they Speak while they are still with us.

mshmodela 02-12-2015 12:09 PM

Bill,

Sorry for the loss of your friend Claude --so very nice he shared his wisdom and hard work with Model A's with the next generation. As had been said "We stand on the shoulders of Giants..." and clearly Claude was of them.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-12-2015 12:46 PM

Claude was a practical, NO nonsense diagnostician & kept these cars SIMPLE! He was a master at diagnosing front ends that felt "funny", or downright DANGEROUS! For steering & front ends, he used Ford Tractor's Factory Approved Safety Inspection, which mostly applies to Model A's.
Once, I tiped the WHOLE thing, can anyone find it through "SEARCH"? I tipe SO SLOW!
Bill W.

jax55 02-12-2015 01:15 PM

Sorry for your loss, Bill. And condolences to his family and friends.
I will have to look up the Nail in the over flow tube trick.

Skibb 02-12-2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax55 (Post 1032490)
Sorry for your loss, Bill. And condolences to his family and friends.
I will have to look up the Nail in the over flow tube trick.

Just open a cold Model A radiator and find the offending loverflow tube. In my radiator that overflow sucked the life out of the motor by funneling all coolant off. The motor was hotter than the grill at Geno's Steaks at 9th and Passyunk. Bill suggested a roofing or broad headed nail in the opening (if the nail is too long cut to size). Bingo, no more hot engine. My Thanks to Bill and Claude.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-12-2015 02:23 PM

Just heard that our club Vice President, Dick Paris, lost his Wife, Orine, who was the club Secretary. Please pray for the whole family.
Bill W.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-09-2015 11:01 AM

I was "DUBBED"---"ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"--As I wuz only QUALIFIED to carry around his NOTE BOOK.
Bill W.

2manycars 08-09-2015 11:12 AM

Sorry for your loss, Bill. We lost a great guy here locally a few years ago, who knew more about old cars and machinery and model T fords than anybody. His absence left a big hole in the pool of knowledge around here. We should listen to and learn from the old guys before they are gone, as we are now the old guys.

DougVieyra 08-09-2015 12:42 PM

With the news of the passing of yet another great guru of the Ford Model A, it becomes even clearer to me just how important the FORD BARN Forum is. This forum serves as a pooling resource for the accumulation of Model A knowledge. This is the knowledge that goes beyond the 'text books' that serve us so well. Here the Model A owner can find, if not the answer to a question, at least a pointer to where the answer lies.

I hope the older ones of us have the foresight to share their wealth of practical knowledge and years - decades - of experience, with us here on the Ford Barn. For it is here that experience OUTSIDE the formal printed 'text books' is found.

We all should offer a big THANK YOU to all those 'old farts' that have given us so much, and to those who continue to add to our understanding of the iconic Ford Model A.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif