The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   '28-'29 Open cars - Windshield Wipers ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158425)

DougVieyra 01-03-2015 11:43 PM

'28-'29 Open cars - Windshield Wipers ?

What are drivers of 1928 & 1929 open cars using for windshield wipers? On my 1928 Phaeton, I use a mechanical hand wiper, a hold over from the 1926 - '27 Model T open cars. The MAFCA / MARC Restoration Guidelines says the Hand Wiper was used through October 1928. And ofcourse there is always a month or two of 'slop' over. The Owen-Dyneto electric wiper was used from December 1928 thru all of 1929.

However, I am not so much interested in the Restoration Guidelines. Nor am I interested in the continued use of my original Hand Wiper while driving in the rain. I would like to know what other "Drivers" of '28-'29 open cars are using, and more importantly, what other types of wipers are successfully being used in lieu of the "scarce as hens teeth", "expensive as hell", original factory Owen-Dyneto electric wiper.

Has anyone come up with an electric wiper that will work on a '28-'29 open car, like has recently been done for the Closed Cars ?

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif

Tom Wesenberg 01-04-2015 12:44 AM

Re: '28-'29 Open cars - Windshield Wipers ?

I try to never drive in the rain and don't take the car out if rain is 50% chance. I've been caught in the rain and used Rain-X. My hand wiper isn't much good.

pooch 01-04-2015 01:15 AM

What's wrong with an electric universal wiper kit from Bert's or others ?

Scuff the chrome finish and paint it satin black.

colin1928 01-04-2015 01:47 AM

still using the hand wiper

dave in australia 01-04-2015 03:30 AM

Yep, agree with Pooch. If your not concerned with points-J/S, then an after market electric is a good option.

Hoogah 01-04-2015 06:56 AM

I had an aftermarket electric wiper in my '27 Ch*v Tourer. It's motor was directly in front of and alarmingly close to my forehead, and I always had visions of it smashing a horrible hole in the front of my head in the event of an accident. :eek:

Not sure that a lap belt would change any of that scenario either.

My present '28 Phaeton has just the hand wiper. I think I'd sooner rely on that and Rain-X if I get caught in the rain.

...and, best not to envisage accidents in a 1920s open car (2015 New Year Resolution!).

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-04-2015 07:10 AM

To me, the issue with the aftermarket (Boat) wiper that the vendors sell is that its' sweep is only 90 degrees from left to right, ...which means when it is not raining, the wiper arm & blade are always in your line-of-sight. This is extremely annoying to me.

C26Pinelake 01-04-2015 08:50 AM

I use mechanical with several coats of Rain X. I avoid rain at all costs. When I do get caught glad when I am in the Cabriolet and not the Roadster !
Wayme

ericr 01-04-2015 11:53 AM

I often wonder if there would be a market for a quality 28-29 electric wiper though I hate to start an extended debate here about what collectors will support in terms of quality.

sethkestenbaum 01-04-2015 12:04 PM

Eric, I would buy an aftermarket open car wiper I it fit/worked and didn't look out of place.

jthomas6 01-04-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1009505)
I try to never drive in the rain and don't take the car out if rain is 50% chance. I've been caught in the rain and used Rain-X. My hand wiper isn't much good.

X 2 :o

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-04-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1009693)
I often wonder if there would be a market for a quality 28-29 electric wiper though I hate to start an extended debate here about what collectors will support in terms of quality.

Yes, but IMHO the way to go about it is manufacture some parts to retrofit into what parts are already reproduced for the original wipers. That way it would appear to be original in aesthetics.

pooch 01-04-2015 04:09 PM

I have an aftermarket 90 degree wiper in my 28 CCPU.

I threw it in quick for rego, and did not put any screws in the 2 side rubber mounts.

All that holds it in is the main shaft nut.

It has worked out good, because it is snug enough to work when raining, but the whole body can still be twisted up out of the way, so wiper arm is behind mirror.

I will leave it as is, as it is dry running 99 % of the time.

And the wiper body being on a slight angle does not bother me at all.

Hoogah, I never really gave the wiper much thought about bashing my head, but probably will now, (thanks to you ).

I probably think more about saving on the crematorium costs if the cowl tank on my roadster goes up.

ericr 01-04-2015 04:48 PM

it is a complex little device, appears delicate, and it makes me ask what an owner did for repair/replacement as years went by. I suspect there were independent repair shops for things like this as I can't imagine most dealers having the desire or ability to rebuild them. People have commented here that Western Auto, Sears, etc, took over the parts business as factory channels dried up. It would be neat to have a Western Auto catalog from like the late '30s or later.

springerpete 01-05-2015 07:38 AM

Hand wiper and Rain-X . And I really try to stay out of the rain. Been caught out twice and found that Rain-X works well even at 25-30 mph but it does absolutely nothing for keeping the water out of the cockpit !

nosbod 01-05-2015 10:23 AM

Living in the UK it is very difficult to avoid the rain if you want to enjoy your A.
I have gone down the path of Rain X and hand operated wiper which in the odd storm dont really cope very well.
Happy new year to you all from a gloomy UK.
John

fordcoupe 01-05-2015 10:39 AM

Hand wiper and rain x on my early 1928 open pick up rain x works well hand wiper not so well looks good on the truck

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-05-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1009909)
it is a complex little device, appears delicate, and it makes me ask what an owner did for repair/replacement as years went by. I suspect there were independent repair shops for things like this as I can't imagine most dealers having the desire or ability to rebuild them. People have commented here that Western Auto, Sears, etc, took over the parts business as factory channels dried up. It would be neat to have a Western Auto catalog from like the late '30s or later.

Yes, dealers did what dealers do today, ...they either replaced them with a brand new unit, or made a repair. It is also very likely that you would see open-cars either do without if one became broken, --or they would retrofit with a vacuum unit.

jthomas6 01-05-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springerpete (Post 1010285)
Hand wiper and Rain-X . And I really try to stay out of the rain. Been caught out twice and found that Rain-X works well even at 25-30 mph but it does absolutely nothing for keeping the water out of the cockpit !

I agree, but last time I was caught I discovered that if I put the top up - it helped with the cockpit. ;) :D