The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   WHAT Are These Tools??? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175264)

gogrannygo 08-08-2015 12:27 PM

WHAT Are These Tools???

1 Attachment(s)
A friend found these still in a wooden box in a barn. Are they Model A or Model T block boring tools? Looks like everything is here - no empty sections in the box. We were thinking of buying them just for kicks, but would like to know if they are something people would collect. Any idea what they would be worth or just obsolete junk? I hope the attachment is here - first time to try to attach something. Thanks, GGG

1930artdeco 08-08-2015 12:48 PM

Re: WHAT Are These Tools???

Vale seat cutters?

Mike

gogrannygo 08-08-2015 02:50 PM

Sure had a lot of people look at this, but only one guess. Maybe this isn't something I need??? Come on guys - someone out there knows what this is. Found a few numbers stamped on the large tool, but doesn't mean anything to me. Does not say Ford or anything else on it. There's got to be someone out there that will see this and say, "Oh yea, it's a __________."

Fordors 08-08-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forever4 (Post 1135561)
How about posting a photo of the tools? Looking at a box is not much use.

Yes, and include some dimensions too. What diameter at the cutting bits, is the diameter adjustable, and maybe show the slotted plates; are those plates of varying thickness?

gogrannygo 08-08-2015 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just laid out a tape and hope it helps. Looks like about 18 of the rings, (some are different sizes and are thicker on one side than the other), 10 of the small metal pointed pieces (two sizes - 5 ea.), the tool itself has one ring on it and is about 6 in. long and 3 in. across on wide end. Your guess is as good as mine. I was just hoping someone could tell me what it is. I can attach another picture if needed. Thanks, GGG

1931 flamingo 08-08-2015 06:22 PM

Any identifying words, numbers on the box itself or the tool(s)??
Paul in CT

gogrannygo 08-08-2015 08:28 PM

Paul,
The tool has 15 stamped on the side and the bell piece is threaded on the inside and has 15 stamped on it. The little pieces (5 each size) are stamped 968 and 107. Each of the ring pieces has different sizes (some too faint to really read), but numbers like 2 3/4, 2 5/8, 2 7/8, 2 1/4, 3, 3 1/32. Nothing stamped anywhere on the old box. I just thought they were neat because they have to be really old to be in a partitioned wooden box and the fact that they are all there. I thought maybe something to do with boring blocks, but I think pistons are larger than those numbers. Really a mystery to me. Thanks, GGG

maako 08-08-2015 10:18 PM

looks like its for boring cylinders.

Mike V. Florida 08-09-2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogrannygo (Post 1135718)
I thought maybe something to do with boring blocks, but I think pistons are larger than those numbers. Really a mystery to me. Thanks, GGG

Quote:

Originally Posted by maako (Post 1135773)
looks like its for boring cylinders.

The Ford V8-60 had a small bore.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...cs-V8-60hp.htm

Fullraceflathead 08-09-2015 03:05 AM

Looks like maybe a bearing race installation tool.
I don't think it for Model A though, maybe large trucks.

bobpo1 08-09-2015 06:46 AM

From a non-machinist's point of view, my first guess however would be bearing race cutters.

Good question.

Tod 08-09-2015 06:56 AM

That doesn't look like any kind of boring tool to me. Does the main body come apart? The slotted rings sort of resemble a conduit punch for popping holes in boxes for large conduit. Mine is hydraulic but I have seen the manual kind where a ratchet is used. That thing you have has a shaft with a square for turning something in it with a wrench. Does that turn independently at all? Can you take the one loose ring off of it and show some more, or take it apart more?

Fullraceflathead could be right also. It sure looks like it is meant to squeeze together and press something or cut holes.

Tod

29closedcab 08-09-2015 07:04 AM

I was thinking its a pipe cleaner. If any family is around ask them what the owner or his family did for a living or as a side job. If you attach it to a lrg drill how does it operate? Does it just spin?

Jeff in BC 08-09-2015 01:57 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Hi GGG,
What you have here is a Reboring Tool head, I have one similar. Here are some pictures and a copy of the patent for you. The box may have had instructions on it originally.

Jeff

gogrannygo 08-09-2015 02:24 PM

Thank you for solving our mystery. What was it used for (Model A, T, etc.?). Any idea when it was made or what it's worth? I am thinking this probably isn't something I need. GGG

Jeff in BC 08-09-2015 04:37 PM

Hi GGG,

I believe these predate the Model A, from what you have posted your head only goes to 3 1/32". Mine goes to 3 3/4" + 1/32". The Model A bore is 3 7/8" so both are too small. One day I may make a new set of rings that would would increase the bore.

Jeff

Fullraceflathead 08-09-2015 04:42 PM

The Model A bore is 3 7/8, I think you made a typo.

gogrannygo 08-09-2015 05:55 PM

If these predate the Model A, any idea of how long? Also, what were they used for?

gogrannygo 08-09-2015 07:30 PM

Ok, I looked at the tool with the patent on it and it looks like 1917. Anyhow, nothing I would ever use, so I gave it back. Maybe he can do something with it. Thanks for all your help.