The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flathead Longevity (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174782)

G80 08-01-2015 10:00 AM

Flathead Longevity

I've heard the flathead described as an "eternal engine" because it's geometry allows the replacement of sleeves and valve guides. Can you really run a flathead as long as your willing to rebuild it, or does the block warp after a certain number of rebuilds? I've daily drive classic cars before and I'm interested in a flathead for my next ride, so please fill me in!

JSeery 08-01-2015 10:51 AM

Re: Flathead Longevity

Most rebuilds do not get sleeves unless there is a problem to correct. IF you did use sleeves and replace the sleeves as needed the block sees little to no impact during a rebuild. Ford 8N tractors work this way and the engines should, as you say, last forever.

Even without sleeving you can overbore a flathead many times. With each rebuild you are going to get a lot of miles out of it with reasonable care. Boring a flathead block is not going to lead to a block warping.

Russ/40 08-01-2015 10:53 AM

Aside the few cracks that are terminal, I would say you could rebuild them almost forever. Too many decking procedures could also be their demise. Without proper control of rust in the jackets I suppose that could be terminal eventually. Takes a lot to kill a flathead.

Ralph Moore 08-01-2015 10:58 AM

Flatheads Forever!

Scott H in Wheaton 08-01-2015 12:25 PM

I would guess most flahead engines will long outlive their owner.

JSeery 08-01-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton (Post 1131564)
I would guess most flahead engines will long outlive their owner.

And most likely the next several owners!

Old Henry 08-01-2015 12:38 PM

Mine has 248,000 miles on it with just a couple of rebuilds. It is presently running better than it ever has. As has been said, I'm sure it will outlast me.

JSeery 08-01-2015 12:40 PM

And you probably put as many miles on them as anyone! High altitude driving, mountain driving, desert driving, etc!!!

2935ford 08-01-2015 01:22 PM

My freshly rebuilt Flatty will live way longer then me...........with about a thousand miles a season! Feels like I get 100k a season!!!!:)

Shadetree 08-01-2015 08:36 PM

The only weakness I know that the flathead has is overheating. I ruined a perfect `40 engine back in the mid 50's. A careless teenager didn't see the heat gauge in time.

I have heard you can run the engine wide open without a load and the valves will float before it comes apart.

Bubsyouruncle 08-01-2015 09:06 PM

The Ford flathead was designed by good engineers paid by a demanding boss who was determined to get the most out of the investment in time and material.

Given proper care and reasonable demands a flathead may well see service on the moon.

Will an SBC?

Admiral 08-01-2015 09:59 PM

When asked if driving on the highway was too stressful for the engine in my ‘36 sedan, John Miller, my engine builder and loooooong time flathead V8 enthusiast said, “Don’t worry, just drive it.”

When asked if a Columbia or similar OD was a good idea he said, “Don’t worry, just drive it.”

When asked about oil viscosity and change intervals, valve adjustments, carburetor rebuilds and the like he said, “Don’t worry, just drive it.”

My take on all of this is that Henry’s venerable side-valve V8 is pretty much unbreakable in stock form so long as you take reasonable care of it and don’t allow it to overheat. Mine routinely sees 4,000 RPM and sounds sweet all the while. Do I ever worry about sending a rod through the block or blowing the bottom end out? No, not really. If something ever did happen out on the road I can probably fix it with a crescent wrench and some bailing wire.

I think a lot of folks are far too easy on these machines (though it is understandable if you just spend six figures and a decade’s worth of time restoring a 1,000-point car); they were designed to give years of trouble-free service under the most trying conditions. My 59L block was already hogged out 0.060 when I got it and John took it another 0.020, so it's probably been rebuilt, what, at least four times? Like him, I say, “Just drive ‘em.”

scooder 08-02-2015 04:40 AM

The block doesn't warp after so many rebuilds. Also it's been said that the cranks can only stand a couple of grinds before the hardens is cut through, this is also a steaming pile of toss! The crank will go as far as you can get bearings. The big journal cranks can even go to small journal size then it's undersized bearings if you needed too.
The saying "Flatheads Forever" is true. Not regarding the terminal cracks that can effect any engine.
Don't worry, just drive it.
Martin.

earlyride 08-02-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubsyouruncle (Post 1131791)
The Ford flathead was designed by good engineers paid by a demanding boss who was determined to get the most out of the investment in time and material.

Given proper care and reasonable demands a flathead may well see service on the moon.

Will an SBC?

Love my flathead and love my SBC also, it's in my suburban and has over 334,000 original miles without a rebuild, so yes they too may well see service on the moon