The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wouldn't start - popout switch strikes again! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208304)

huddy 11-01-2016 05:17 PM

Wouldn't start - popout switch strikes again!

Yet again a model A owner is victimized by the infamous pop out switch!

I went to start my '30 coupe, so that I could take advantage of the nice day and get it into its "car bubble" for the winter. No luck. Since it ran fine about a month ago, I started by assuming a fuel problem - perhaps a stuck float valve.

I fiddled and fussed and determined it was getting gas. Move on to ignition. I tried a few tricks with wires and finally, in desperation, used my popout switch bypass, which removes the popout from the circuit and wires directly to the coil. Zoombah! Started right up.

So then I fished through my old parts and found the switch that was originally in it - a plain on-off ignition switch that had a fitting to connect to the distributor. Took me 30 minutes to replace the popout, and of course, the car ran fine with the crappy (but reliable) old switch installed. Got Enrico back into his cocoon for the winter.

Now I have a popout, good shape but not working. I'd sure like some ideas on how to get it functioning again (whether or not I put it back in is another story).

I can see why there were third party accessory switches sold in the 1930s. Glad it didn't happen on the road...

chl 11-01-2016 06:13 PM

Re: Wouldn't start - popout switch strikes again!

if you want to replace it with an original one contact Dick Crabtree.

MikeK 11-01-2016 06:38 PM

So now we're badmouthing original parts that don't last 75 years without maintenance? Send that 'infamous' popout to me and I'll give you more than enough money to buy a genuine P.O.S. replacement.

huddy 11-01-2016 09:29 PM

It was not an original part - it was a rebuilt original. Only a year old. I installed it in place of the crappy one that was there when I got the car, because I wanted an original look. My bad.

Seems I hit a sensitive nerve, and I don't recollect any badmouthing in my post. The poor reliability of the popout seems to be a proven fact, isn't it? Otherwise why would there be alternative contemporary replacements for it?

I'd kinda like a thing that's essentially "new" to work for longer than a year. I don't recall badmouthing the original, 86 year old parts that are still working, which is what most of my car consists of.

tbirdtbird 11-01-2016 09:46 PM

there has been a lot of attitude on this forum lately.......check some of the other threads. People with attitude should find a different forum..we do not need them

iverson 11-01-2016 10:13 PM

I think my first post on this site was asking about my pop out switch problem! the problem with ours was the diecast switch housing swelled up and the cable got loose and slipped down a little I fixed it at least for now by safety wiring it together tightly. at least now I understand how it works and can fix on the road if I have to!

huddy 11-02-2016 03:40 PM

I was thinking of contacting Mr. Crabtree, just so I have the option of reinstalling it should I decide to go back to the authentic look. I hadn't seen his name mentioned on the board recently and I wasn't sure he was still repairing the popouts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mitch//pa 11-02-2016 03:41 PM

Keep the authentic look and more reliable fake look alike pop out

Tom Wesenberg 11-02-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 1379114)
there has been a lot of attitude on this forum lately.......check some of the other threads. People with attitude should find a different forum..we do not need them

People need to eat more marshmallows. It keeps one mellow.:D

Bet you can't eat just one.:)