The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Water Outlet Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242550)

Bud Man 04-13-2018 04:55 PM

Water Outlet Question

Just back into Model A's and trying to get a '29 back on the road. Fitted a new head gasket, and torqued the head using the correct sequence and torque stages, ending up at 55 lbs all around. Unfortunately, I have apparently cracked one of the mounting ears on the water outlet, will need to replace it. I had heard that eliminating the gasket and just using silicone RTV on both bare surfaces is the best way to go, but only after I already had fitted a gasket. New outlet is on the way. Any suggestions on what to do to not repeat this would be greatly appreciated. Also, am I correct in assuming that all cylinder head nuts will need to be fully loosened and the tightening sequence redone in its entirety? Appreciate the help!

Synchro909 04-13-2018 06:20 PM

Re: Water Outlet Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Man (Post 1617277)
Just back into Model A's and trying to get a '29 back on the road. Fitted a new head gasket, and torqued the head using the correct sequence and torque stages, ending up at 55 lbs all around. Unfortunately, I have apparently cracked one of the mounting ears on the water outlet, will need to replace it. I had heard that eliminating the gasket and just using silicone RTV on both bare surfaces is the best way to go, but only after I already had fitted a gasket. New outlet is on the way. Any suggestions on what to do to not repeat this would be greatly appreciated. Also, am I correct in assuming that all cylinder head nuts will need to be fully loosened and the tightening sequence redone in its entirety? Appreciate the help!

You need no more than just a wipe of silicone to seal the outlet. Don't use too much or what squeezes out will end up in the top tank.
You won't need to loosen all of the head studs, just the two that hold the outlet. Re torque to 55 ftlb and you're good.

Bud Man 04-13-2018 08:46 PM

Many thanks!!

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-13-2018 09:27 PM

The water outlet was NOT one of Fords' "BETTER IDEAS"!

Flathead 04-14-2018 02:09 PM

Hey, he saved two bolts and probably sold a lot of water outlets.

fordfixer 04-15-2018 01:40 PM

I just flat file the mating services, and then use non-hardening per-matex. Doesn't leak and have not broke a ear off since. Have done a hundred or more. I don't like the silicon.

Synchro909 04-15-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordfixer (Post 1618024)
I just flat file the mating services, and then use non-hardening per-matex. Doesn't leak and have not broke a ear off since. Have done a hundred or more. I don't like the silicon.

Yeh, Permatex is very good. Silicone does have its drawbacks, like the bead that squeezes out when the bolts are tightened that I mentioned.
I've never used a gasket and never broken an outlet. I didn't like the look of the arrangement when I first saw it so I threw the gasket.

Tom Wesenberg 04-15-2018 09:16 PM

Copper or no gasket, and no breaks. Paper gasket will break it every time.

Bud Man 04-15-2018 10:48 PM

I appreciate all the help. I like permatex #2 as well, and will go that route.

Again, many thanks!

denniskliesen 04-15-2018 10:50 PM

If you use RTV, I'd suggest ultra black by permatex. It doesn't peel off like the stuff of the past.