The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dual distributors (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257446)

Ol' Ron 01-11-2019 01:42 PM

Dual distributors

1 Attachment(s)
How's this?? And it works,

BUBBAS IGNITION 01-11-2019 02:01 PM

Re: Dual distributors

Ron, I am sure it works, however most fire the plugs at the exact time ( i have synced a few of these) but in reality it does nothing.
I have yet to see and dyno numbers showing even a fraction of a horsepower increase.....However it does look mean !!!

Flathead Fever 01-11-2019 03:24 PM

I see a lot of blue tape on those wires with numbers on them. You don't have these all memorized by now, LOL.

flathead4rd 01-11-2019 03:33 PM

What coil are you using with that? Is it six or 12 volt?

rotorwrench 01-11-2019 03:44 PM

It would give redundancy for boats or aircraft. If one system quits the other is still working. On aircraft, it actually does make a tiny bit of difference in power but they have hemispherical chambers too. Elco heads and a few others were popular for hydroplane racing back in the day.

The mags are checked for proper drop off in rpm prior to each flight. Normal drop off in rpm is 150 to 200 rpm at 2000 to 2500 rpm engine speed depending on normal operating rpm of each engine.

40 Deluxe 01-11-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1715146)
It would give redundancy for boats or aircraft. If one system quits the other is still working.

The mags are checked for proper drop off in rpm prior to each flight. Normal drop off in rpm is 150 to 200 rpm at 2000 to 2500 rpm engine speed depending on normal operating rpm of each engine.

An approximate 10% drop-off in RPM is significant! To me that indicates a very inefficient combustion chamber design. Are piston aircraft engines still using these 1930's designs?

Ronnieroadster 01-11-2019 03:53 PM

Not a good idea to use a set screw digging into the side of the distributor housings to hold things in place that kind of drops aluminum in to the oil. Not a very good set up for economy.

Terry,OH 01-11-2019 04:03 PM

How about two Harman Collins dual coils, with 4 coils

51 MERC-CT 01-11-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1715151)
An approximate 10% drop-off in RPM is significant! To me that indicates a very inefficient combustion chamber design. Are piston aircraft engines still using these 1930's designs?

The left and right mag's are checked individually for drop off by turning off the opposing mag. So one could show drop off and the other none.
And the drop off could be the result of bad plugs for that mag and in need of service.

JSeery 01-11-2019 05:33 PM

The planes I have flown show a drop in rpm with either mag switched off. This is on new engines, so not a plug issue.

Ol' Ron 01-11-2019 05:36 PM

Aesthetics play a big roll in a system like this. You can't compare it to an aircraft engine. In theory, the secondary distributor should fire a few degrees after the primary to reduce the length of the flame front. In this case all we wanted to do was make an inexpensive way of doing it. I made a vertical distributor timing cover about 20 years ago, and knew this would work, we just had to figgerit out. once the angles had been figger out he just welled up to cast iron covers. If I can figger out how to post any more pics I'll post the construction and gearing . As for how it runs. So far the car isn't reaady for the road, but is driveable, and BVubba is right, the engine runs the same weather on one or both dists. Again It looks great and didn't cost much. And Ron one of those distributors is yours.

Ronnieroadster 01-11-2019 07:44 PM

I always mount a block to the front cover so a stud and fork can be used clamp to hold them in place. Makes fine tuning much easier.

KiWinUS 01-11-2019 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 3 sets of these & they came from European ford flatheads

KiWinUS 01-11-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiWinUS (Post 1715246)
I have 3 sets of these & they came from European ford flatheads

They are 4 cylinder scintilla mags

KiWinUS 01-11-2019 08:21 PM

I like your setup Ron just love unique flathead ignition systems

Ol' Ron 01-11-2019 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was the harrd part

tubman 01-12-2019 08:00 AM

I have spoken with the guy who makes these several times. He is from downunder and has a video showing these things in action. I think he did a hell of a job. As to increased performance, who cares? If you're running a fully dressed flathead, you are chasing looks, not performance.

flatheadmurre 01-12-2019 10:20 AM

The cars manufactured in modern time with dual plugs had it for emission reasons.
Plugs firing after each other to increase duration of spark.
So you just invented the Eco Flathead !

Ol' Ron 01-12-2019 10:57 AM

Well, if the only thing you can find wrong with the system is the way the distributors are held in place is a grub screw. I consider that to be the best compliment I've received in years. Now, I didn't make this one, I worked with a friend and was going to make one from an aftermarket unit. He decided to weld up a few cast iron ones. I'm very proud of that shows alittle ingenuity that kept the cost down even further. So I guess I don't have to worry about posting pictures and more.

khschs 01-12-2019 11:30 AM

I like it ! It shows ingenuity and craftsmanship (cast iron is hard to weld).
As for increased performance the jury is still out but I am pretty sure that it might prevent a loss of performance through redundancy.
Anyway that is what hot rodders do and I think it's cool.
Keep on experimenting Ron, it's great for the hobby.