The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mercury Glass Replacement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258020)

RalphG 01-22-2019 01:41 AM

Mercury Glass Replacement

Drivers door glass in both my 52 and 53 Mercs is cracked so bad I don't dare try to open the window. Crank mechanism is seized up solid anyway. I'm considering the possibility of replacing the glass myself. Assuming new glass is available locally. I've never tried this job before and have no idea how its done. Watched a few videos on youtube applying to fifties GM trucks but have not found one specific to 52-54 Ford/Mercury cars.
https://youtu.be/s9WV-1eFgbc

51 MERC-CT 01-22-2019 06:37 AM

Re: Mercury Glass Replacement

Your first hurdle is to remove the garnish molding, window crank and door latch handle.
Then remove the upholstered door panel along with the arm rest by prying away from door to disengage the spring clips on the outer edges.
This will expose the inner workings and is just the first hurdle.
(more to follow)

One method to remove inner handle horseshoe clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLweWp72tU

flatford8 01-22-2019 08:00 AM

I would remove the upholstered panel (as 51MERC advised)and see if I could get the window to go up and down first. If you can’t roll it up and down, there’s no sense in replacing the glass......Mark

RalphG 01-22-2019 09:50 AM

I did work on one of the rear doors a couple of years ago as it was seized up solid too but the glass was still good. Handles were a challenge but workable. Door panel was really not salvageable by the time it came off. (rodent damage). According to the video I watched on the GM truck, the vent window and frame have to come off first before the side glass. My vent window glass is long gone and I carved out a new one from plexi glass just to get by. Wonder if I might do the same on the side glass?

TJ 01-22-2019 09:56 AM

Plexiglass will scratch easily and eventually get brittle. I think that would be a waste of money.

RalphG 01-22-2019 10:24 AM

I see new glass available but not in Canada. What are the chances of glass surviving a trip to Canada through couriers and the postal system?

51 MERC-CT 01-22-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphG (Post 1718920)
I see new glass available but not in Canada. What are the chances of glass surviving a trip to Canada through couriers and the postal system?

If you have automotive glass shops available then they can cut a new glass using an existing pattern (save old glass) and can mount the glass to the channel.

corvette8n 01-22-2019 10:38 AM

Ralph: I had a local glass company cut me a new vent window using the cracked one as a pattern. Any glass places near you?

rotorwrench 01-22-2019 11:49 AM

Glass shops used to keep a pattern portfolio but those items tend to fall by the way side over time. Any good glass shop should be able to cut you one to your pattern. Most folks in the lower 48 package there stuff well enough to get it to you. Shipping over an international border always has its ups & downs though.

Your channels & fuzzies need to be renewed or your new glass will crack sooner than later. That was all the protection the glass ever had in the older cars. If I go into a door, I usually replace everything that goes in there but it depends on how far you want to go with the car. The 4-door cars have a lot of parts in their doors and especially cars that have vent wings front and rear like my 51s.

50fordcoupeman 01-22-2019 01:17 PM

As stated above, I also had a local glass company cut me a rear quarter window using the old glass as a pattern. Was fairly cheap and they did it while I waited.

RalphG 01-22-2019 08:22 PM

I see there is a glass shop in the city that might do that type of cutting. But I'm fairly sure this window is coming out in pieces. Cracked from front to back along the bottom and actually a small piece missing in the lower front corner. I have clear tape over it to help hold it together. These cars must have had weak glass. The drivers door on my 53 parts car is cracked almost as bad so I don't know if it would do for a pattern or not. Looked at the door panel and handles this afternoon but thats as far as I went.

rotorwrench 01-23-2019 11:05 AM

Rough roads tend to beat the glass up after the channels deteriorate. If you can get the window out with the setting channel still attached then you should be able to use it. If not, try to save the pieces to puzzle back together and make a cardboard pattern. Masonite or lauan plywood may work better as a pattern but it's a bit thick and its not as easy to cut to shape.

Most of the glass was flat laminated safety glass back in the day and it can be cut without too much trouble. Modern cars use tempered safety glass but it has to be cut and formed prior to tempering. It's about 3 times stronger than the laminated type but it just shatters instead of cracking.

Mart 01-23-2019 12:40 PM

Is the passenger side ok, Ralph? If it is, and flat you could switch the channels and use the passenger glass in the drivers side.

I once used a passenger side rear glass from Ford Prefect in the drivers side front door. It was the same shape and worked perfectly.

Mart.

RalphG 01-23-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1719242)
Is the passenger side ok, Ralph? If it is, and flat you could switch the channels and use the passenger glass in the drivers side.

I once used a passenger side rear glass from Ford Prefect in the drivers side front door. It was the same shape and worked perfectly.

Mart.

Passenger front window looks good and I have to admit I did consider that option but don't like to leave the parts car without a window. Suppose I could tape some plastic over it.

Mart 01-24-2019 11:47 AM

Put the cracked one in the parts car?

RalphG 01-24-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1719527)
Put the cracked one in the parts car?

Yes, if its only cracked and survives the removal that might be an option. Too cold to think about it now in the -20s. But warmer weather is on the way, eventually.