The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   36 pickup rear view mirror location (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296771)

rottenron36 04-03-2021 09:51 AM

36 pickup rear view mirror location

Adding a rear view mirror to my pickup, not sure where it goes. Did not have one or any holes for one. In the middle of the upper dash, or a specific measurement. Thanks for your help. Ron

Jeff/Illinois 04-03-2021 09:59 AM

Re: 36 pickup rear view mirror location

Ron ours didn't have a rear view mirror when I bought it, but I found two very small divits in the paint where they had sanded and slightly filled and painted over the mounting holes. Check your's out, maybe take the wiper panels off and look behind the upper panel for a clue.

This doesn't answer you question, and if I can get over to the garage where the '36 is stored I'll try to take some measurements.

rottenron36 04-03-2021 10:57 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will check it out. Ron

Lawson Cox 04-03-2021 01:04 PM

35-36 Ford pickups did not come with an inside mirror, only one outside mirror mounted on the driver's side. That's probably why the guy filled and sanded the holes where a PO had mounted one because he knew they did not come from the factory with an inside mirror.

Henry probably thought, hey, this is a work truck and the bed is gonna be full of "stuff" and the driver won't be able to see out of the back window anyhow, so we can save 5¢ per vehicle. That's probably why trucks didn't come with white walls as well. These were WORK trucks.

I believe 37 was the first year that came with an inside-mounted mirror, but I'll let the 37 pickup experts answer that one.

FWIW, I added an inside mirror on Apatchy for safety reasons. I am 5'8' and I mounted a 46-48 style mirror in the center of the header panel over the windshield where said panel curves under toward the windshield and it suits me just fine. Looks nice as well.

38bill 04-03-2021 03:05 PM

I added a mirror to my '38 and it barely works because the rear window is so short and the mirror mounts high. Can't lower the mirror or it would interfere with vision through the front windshield so I have to bend down to use it and I'm only 5'-8". Don't know about your '36 but you may be better off adding convex mirrors to the doors.

banjoQ 04-03-2021 09:50 PM

As stated previously here, trucks from 36’ were not equipped with an interior rear view mirror. I too thought of installing one when I first started driving mine. Even went as far as to find one at a swap. The more I drove my truck I began to realize I didn’t need it. I can turn my head and see all that I need too. But that’s me, others might not agree. The mirror I picked up is still wrapped in paper, kept with all my spares.

totto 04-04-2021 09:05 AM

'32-'37 pickups and trucks (as mentioned) did not have interior mirrors; but it is "your" truck so do what you feel comfortable and safe. When I first had my '34, it had an interior mirror but the cab had "extra" holes above for placement for an interior mirror.

Kube 04-04-2021 10:30 AM

I believe, but am not 100% certain, that 1940 was the first year they were an option in the pickup trucks.
They are, as a few have you had stated, completely worthless.

flathead34 04-04-2021 10:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of the rear view mirror that I mounted in my '34 PU. Used a mirror mount from a '35 sedan. Mike

36and63 04-04-2021 11:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have one in my 36, had no idea it was not original. I could not imagine not having it though.

Brendan 04-04-2021 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hear are some photos of the mirror in my 36, it was in the truck when i got it, and it was moved over by someone in the past, uou can see the old screw holes. I don't know what the mirror is from