The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ignition points (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269065)

Afordman31 09-06-2019 04:36 PM

Ignition points

Anyone have a cross reference for breaker points for 1937 to 1940 Ford distributor? Wondering if I can get them local. Thanks

cmbrucew 09-06-2019 05:31 PM

Re: Ignition points

1 Attachment(s)
37 to 41 Ford V8 is CS47 Echlin at Napa Auto Parts.

Bruce

Afordman31 09-06-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbrucew (Post 1796309)
37 to 41 Ford V8 is CS47 Echlin at Napa Auto Parts.

Bruce

Thank you Bruce, much appreciated!

35fordtn 09-06-2019 11:13 PM

Standard owns echlin and the standard Motor products number is Fd6770. Usually available at any big chain store

Afordman31 09-07-2019 07:40 AM

Thank you also! 35fordtn

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-07-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1796414)
Standard owns echlin and the standard Motor products number is Fd6770. Usually available at any big chain store

Got to be carefull with the change in Standard , the actual standard point set can be a cheaper set of contacts. Standard offers a couple grades of points and the lower set is NOT the Echlin set. I buy these 10-12 sets at a time from napa and often have to return the cheaper (standard) set for exchange to the Echlin all in the same box...

The Echlin set has a double spring arrangement with a brass strap and a spring . The cheaper set doesnt usually have the brass strap , just a steel spring by its self.....:eek::eek:

35fordtn 09-07-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 1796483)
Got to be carefull with the change in Standard , the actual standard point set can be a cheaper set of contacts. Standard offers a couple grades of points and the lower set is NOT the Echlin set. I buy these 10-12 sets at a time from napa and often have to return the cheaper (standard) set for exchange to the Echlin all in the same box...

The Echlin set has a double spring arrangement with a brass strap and a spring . The cheaper set doesnt usually have the brass strap , just a steel spring by its self.....:eek::eek:

Jim currently standard only has the standard line, the days of cheap blue streak are gone. I too had to return some echlin sets due to weak spring tension. Since I have been using standard Fd6770 I have NEVER had to return any. We sold and used 54 sets this month alone. This all tells me it’s a echlin issue not a standard issue. A good set of fd6770 and a good set of cs47 both have the same spring tension. The only issue with some of the older stock 6770’s is the LH stationary point needs to be adjusted (bent) slightly. That’s my opinion only, the echlins I bought at my Napa were not satisfying to me and seemed to be old stock. I buy the 6770’s from rockauto.com,

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-07-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1796493)
Jim currently standard only has the standard line, the days of cheap blue streak are gone. I too had to return some echlin sets due to weak spring tension. Since I have been using standard Fd6770 I have NEVER had to return any. We sold and used 54 sets this month alone. This all tells me it’s a echlin issue not a standard issue. A good set of fd6770 and a good set of cs47 both have the same spring tension. The only issue with some of the older stock 6770’s is the LH stationary point needs to be adjusted (bent) slightly. That’s my opinion only, the echlins I bought at my Napa were not satisfying to me and seemed to be old stock. I buy the 6770’s from rockauto.com,

WOW two different worlds i guess , my local supplier still offers some blue streak (lower priced) stuff and i just yesterday afternoon picked up a few boxes of the CS47s ( from napa)that were reboxed Standard stuff...

i really understand the reasoning as i have worked for both companies over the years as a rep and trainer as well..... Anyway my orginal point (which seems pointless :D) for this post still stands "be carefull""""...:eek:

I will call you first of week as i need some parts.....

35fordtn 09-07-2019 03:41 PM

Ahh I see blue streak is still around!! Maybe there are accidentally slipping some blue streaks into echlin boxes?

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-07-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1796611)
Ahh I see blue streak is still around!! Maybe there are accidentally slipping some blue streaks into echlin boxes?

"Grass hopper" you need to listen to us old guys more often.......:eek::):)

35fordtn 09-07-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 1796612)
"Grass hopper" you need to listen to us old guys more often.......:eek::):)

True that but I’ll still stand behind standard products in the red box, NOT the blue box.