The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Phaeton side curtains - INSIDE (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73967)

kundun 06-12-2012 09:41 AM

Phaeton side curtains - INSIDE

Hi

I already searched the web and asked a few members but I just cant get pictures of the inside of the side curtains.

So this thread here addresses all the people that have their curtains already installed:

Please, give us some detailed pictures of how the side curtains are held up or/and fixed to the structure of the roof and the rods.

SilverGhost 06-12-2012 02:46 PM

Re: Phaeton side curtains - INSIDE

Hello Kundun
I made some pictures from my side curtains inside and outside (see albums unter my personal profile). The mails studs (A-37105) which locks into the body socket are not of the right type, this because they are actually not available.
Drop me a mail if I can be of further help.

Best regards
Eric

sethkestenbaum 06-12-2012 04:33 PM

Eric,

Thanks for the posting of the curtains up. I've never seen them up propertly (although have had them up in my own special way).

Seth

kundun 06-14-2012 04:46 AM

Eric, thanks a lot for the pictures. A good looking car you have. I also like the curtains.

It would be great if you could make a few pictures of the curtains when the door is open. Maybe you could also add a few close ups of the studs at the curtains, the body and the roof structure. Are they all of the same kind?

Which of the curtains has a fixation on the roof structure? Do I see it correct, that the the front seat curtain has 2, must they be opened when opening the door?
thanks a lot,
michael

FL&WVMIKE 06-14-2012 02:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
kundun .....................
Here are some photos of an original, genuine Ford, driver's door, side curtain, that I have had for many years.
I'm not sure, just what application this is (Roadster, Phaeton - Standard or Deluxe - 1930-31-32). I would assume that the construction would be pretty much, the same. This is how Henry made them.
MIKE :)

d.j. moordigian 06-14-2012 02:54 PM

Mike,

I don't know what it fits either...but....I think it's for a 1928 with no outside
door handles.....the lower flap is access too the handle.

Dudley

Marco Tahtaras 06-14-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 443417)
kundun .....................
Here are some photos of an original, genuine Ford, driver's door, side curtain, that I have had for many years.
I'm not sure, just what application this is (Roadster, Phaeton - Standard or Deluxe - 1930-31-32). I would assume that the construction would be pretty much, the same. This is how Henry made them.

That is a '30-31 Deluxe Roadster drivers side door curtain as shown below (also original). It's important to note (Dudley :-) that all Models A's had the flap in the drivers curtain for hand signaling.

http://abarnyard.com/temp/40-b_delux...de_curtain.jpg

FL&WVMIKE 06-14-2012 10:30 PM

Marco Tahtaras .................
WOW ! Your curtains are in GREAT shape !
I noticed a couple differences. On mine, the door handle flap has three steel rivets, while yours has two. Could be an engineering change, made down the road. Also, yours seem to be the olive coloring, while mine seems to be more tannish. Mine might have faded, or it might be earlier, before Ford went to the olive. ???????
I have the original side curtains for my 1934 Phaeton and they are definately the olive color.

FL&WVMIKE 06-14-2012 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an example of the green top material, which has been stored in it's original bag forever. The insides are tan.
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE - Twice

Marco Tahtaras 06-15-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 443633)
WOW ! Your curtains are in GREAT shape !
I noticed a couple differences. On mine, the door handle flap has three steel rivets, while yours has two. Could be an engineering change, made down the road. Also, yours seem to be the olive coloring, while mine seems to be more tannish. Mine might have faded, or it might be earlier, before Ford went to the olive. ???????
I have the original side curtains for my 1934 Phaeton and they are definately the olive color.

We've drifted a bit off topic from the original question so I'll try to keep it brief. The fabric shown in my pics was Ford's "material specification" M-5072 which was first documented in 1929 for use on the Cabriolet. It was comprised of two layers of M-5074 drab roof fabric with "a suitable rubber cement interposed between". This fabric was later adopted for the Deluxe Phaeton, Deluxe Roadster, and convertible sedan.

I know from work I did years ago that later Fords changed the inner layer from drab to tan/brown but don't recall just when but think it was about 1936.

The pics below are NOS rear quarter curtains and top deck for a Deluxe Roadster

http://abarnyard.com/temp/40-b_deluxe/40-b_top_deck.jpg

http://abarnyard.com/temp/40-b_delux...ck_quarter.jpg

kundun 06-15-2012 03:22 AM

Yes, the initial question was for a Phaeton 1929. I assume though, that the differences to a Deluxe Phaeton or between the years are not immense. So it probably doesn't matter if the pictures arent from the exact same model that I have.

Thanks for all the pictures, it really helps to get a better understanding of how they are made and used.

BUT I still miss the pictures of the curtains fixed to the car. We all have seen photographs from the outside, but I'm interested in pictures of the curtains from the inside, when the door is open, and how it is fixed to the top.

It would also be interesting to have some close-up shots of the rivets
(especially as we have some original curtains). Please, take a picture of both sides (on the curtain but also on the other side).
Are all rivets of the same kind?

SilverGhost's album gives a good idea about the inside, but maybe some others could post their set-up too.
thanks, michael

Richard Wilson 06-15-2012 11:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello Michael. Per your PM. Here are a few pictures of the LeBaron Bonney reproduction side curtains and my 1929 phaeton. These were purchased in 1988 when I redid this phaeton. They do not fit as well now as they did when new but would still keep bad weather out. I hope the pictures are helpful.

d.j. moordigian 06-15-2012 12:23 PM

Great thread...very informative! It's nice to see how all the pieces fit together.
Thank you.

Richard Wilson 06-18-2012 12:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Kundun (Michael) asked for additional pictures of the LeBaronBonney reproduction 1929 phaeton side curtains. I thought others might be interested also. These are for the passenger side. They are showing the inside. Note the single flap is for the front door. The rear door curtain has the flap attached.

kundun 06-25-2012 12:46 AM

Hi Richard
Thanks for the pictures, it does help to understand the pieces. What I still don't understand is how the flaps are fixed to the top. Are they fixed to the frame or to the canvas?
It would be great if you could add some pictures of the roof without the curtains to see how the attach.

The same question goes to those that have the original set-up, it might be interesting if it was originally done the same way.

michael

kundun 03-09-2013 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is about the best I could do, about the set-up of the fasteners on the curtains.

Tom Wesenberg 03-09-2013 09:22 AM

In the second picture Richard posted, you can see 2 oval holes in the top narrow flap, and the front side bar for the folding top has 2 twist fasteners to secure the flap.

kundun 04-08-2013 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've worked some more on the curtain story.

The attachment shows my "conclusion". I'll put it here for you guys to review.

Please, give me your feedback so that I can correct the pdf.
Private Messages are preferred

Jim/GA 04-08-2013 07:49 PM

Wow, what a great summary!

On page 20, if you connect the side curtain directly to the inside of the roof rib like that, you can not open the door! Think about it.

That is why a flap is connected to the roof and the door panel is held up to it by the rod that sticks down into the top of the door.

Others can comment on the other pages.

verrece 04-08-2013 08:23 PM

Hi
Does anyone knows where I could get the uf 40 fastener who works well?

I bought these in Le Baron Bonney a couple years ago and they did not work, all of them unplugs alone, also they are too much expensive.

Victor