The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Generator rebuilding (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223269)

Chris Haynes 06-22-2017 11:07 PM

Generator rebuilding

Is there anybody in the Los Angeles area who rebuilds Model A generators?

Charlie Stephens 06-22-2017 11:09 PM

Re: Generator rebuilding

Try asking at a couple of the local Model A Clubs.

Charlie Stephens

RawhideKid 06-22-2017 11:14 PM

Try calling Randy Gross 714-292-8660

califfarmer 06-22-2017 11:46 PM

If your willing to drive north to Saticoy Unit II does a good job. They have been in the area for over 30 years and going strong. Hope this is a help

Chris Haynes 06-23-2017 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by califfarmer (Post 1489463)
If your willing to drive north to Saticoy Unit II does a good job. They have been in the area for over 30 years and going strong. Hope this is a help

Are you talking about the town of Saticoy or the street?

Mel Gross 06-23-2017 07:41 AM

I have them in stock and ready to go.

Call me or email me.

Thanks

Randy Gross
Montebello, CA (10 miles east of Los Angeles)
714-292-8660
[email protected]

Charlie Stephens 06-23-2017 11:54 AM

Remember if you need to ship one they will fit in a USPS priority box at a reasonable rate (slightly under $20). Right now I would take up Randy (post #6) but if you find a good shop please post it as I am also in Los Angeles and assume I will eventually have the same problem.

Charlie Stephens

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-23-2017 03:50 PM

Most any shop that rebuilds GENERATORS/STARTERS, can rebuild them!
Bill W.

Tom Wesenberg 06-23-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1489737)
Most any shop that rebuilds GENERATORS/STARTERS, can rebuild them!
Bill W.

That was true in the 50's and 60's and should still be true, but these days I'd have little faith in many of the shops. I've had to repair two fried generators that some generator shop "rebuilt". They mixed up the output and field wires on the brushes, and this is pretty basic stuff. :mad:

Charlie Stephens 06-23-2017 08:26 PM

Before you have your generator rebuilt check in the judging standards to see that it is the correct one for your car. Cores are about $15 at a swap meet so you might as well start with the correct one. If you exchange yours for a rebuilt be sure it is correct.

Charlie Stephens

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-24-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1489783)
That was true in the 50's and 60's and should still be true, but these days I'd have little faith in many of the shops. I've had to repair two fried generators that some generator shop "rebuilt". They mixed up the output and field wires on the brushes, and this is pretty basic stuff. :mad:

But, Tom, that's only 2, out of HOW MANY???---"Maybe" the shop janitor wuz fillin' in fur sumbody that wuz sick from some CRUD:eek:---"Sumtimes" we gotta' give folks "SOME SLACK"---
Bill Defensive

RonC 06-24-2017 10:33 AM

There seems to be a lot of shops that specialize in rebuilding rebuilding charging and starting components

Railcarmover 06-24-2017 11:22 AM

Dodged this bullet for now,fifty year sitting 30/31 generator in my 29 motored for me last night..damn near danced a jig i was so happy..

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-24-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by califfarmer (Post 1489463)

Your sign off line, "EAT MORE LARGE LIMA BEANS"--Everything grows LARGER in California, come see for yourself, then, go HOME, quickly:D---IF everyone stayed here, we "might" TIP into the OCEAN:eek:
Bill Bighead

Jeff/Illinois 06-24-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1489783)

Case in point. Had a starter on the Mach 1 years ago needed a rebuild, read a story in Old Cars Weekly highly recommending Fond U Lac Electric or something like that up in Wisconsin. Sent it up to them.

What a mistake. I either got somebody else's Frankenstein starter or they just plain fouled mine up, big time. It worked all of four times then ate itself up along with the junk Taiwan Bendix they used on it.

Took it to a Ford mechanic friend of mine who went through it and it's worked perfectly for the last 7 years. He marveled about how screwed up it was and what a crap job they did on it.

Tom's observation on this merits a LOT he is right on with this.