The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Columbia controls (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37516)

silvalms01 05-19-2011 05:13 PM

Columbia controls

11 Attachment(s)
Would appreciate any help identifying and finding the value of these Columbia controls. Got these with a couple 1946-48 Columbia rear ends. Any help on ID and value would be appreciated.

Give a call or e-mail. (828) 273-0114 (cell), [email protected]

bobH 05-19-2011 05:38 PM

Re: Columbia controls

You might want to ask the Columbia guru, listed in the V8 Times... Ask him for a price to BUY that stuff. You might be surprised.
'Course, being the 'good' guy that I am, I could offer to help you out by taking the stuff off your hands ???

Terry,OH 05-20-2011 06:40 AM

Pre war the controls are mechanical through linkage to the clutch pedal and mechanical hand controls such as the Cable in the second row of photos. After the war they went electrical. The ratio adjuster on the early columbias 34-37 was on the back of the speedometer and later 38 or 39-41 or so it moved to the firewall and was in line with the speedometer cable on both ends. The mechanical control in the second row appears to be the 39-40 vintage. A lot of Columbia parts may be for Lincoln or Mercury, Auburn?? and do they work properly?? Many of the parts you have, if good, could be used on any of the years and function. There are a couple of guys that rebuild Columbias and I suggest you contact them. John Connelly at "Columbia Two Speed" in CA. Google the Co name and send your photos to him.

jimTN 05-20-2011 08:23 AM

Lower left is a headlight wiring harness for 39 or earlier Ford. Lower right are wireing and switches for 41-8 Ford/Merc/Lincolin, the toggle is a special switch that is spring loaded on one throw.Third down from top on left are vacuum parts for under carb take off and brackets for the lines. Third down from top are shift cyl and parts that attach to the rear end and will work with all years. Third down on right are vac hoses and a couple of clutch control rods that go with a switch to kick the Col. down to low when putting the clutch in. Second down from top is the vacuum shifter valve for 37 for sure and I believe up to 40. Second down center is a bowden cable used with the shifter valve on left. Second down on right is a speedometer changing gear set that works in conjunction with the columbia manual shift valves 40 back. Upper right are 41-8 F/M/L elec shift valves. Upper center are speedometer shift units, appear to be the same as an Eaton two speed truck unit with one 41-8 bracket (the 41-8 speedometer change units have two vac pots on them and these have one). Top left are correct 41-8 speedometer shift units with both cables attached.
I could be wrong on the 41 stuff but I will say that you have a very useful sack of parts there!

jimTN 05-20-2011 08:26 AM

Missed Upper right kickdown switches attached to the valves, these work with the rod linkage in third down on right. These switches happen to be the same as
Crosley brake light switches is anyone finds a stash of Crosley parts.

tomrooster1943 08-01-2011 09:33 AM

You have controls from late 30's to 48 from the info.you have got from others , you have received the correct info. and direction Good luck , you are going to cont. your home work . Tom

OLD...BILL 08-01-2011 12:01 PM

The one to talk to is " John Connelly the columba gure on the west cost," At 951-719-4077... a good guy to talk to, and is total columba,and flathead too... John dose what he calls "bulleting proffing" he builds a collar around the drive hub/spider gears unit, keep from breaking from more power. ....OLD...BILL

4dFord/SC 08-01-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobH (Post 211130)
You might want to ask the Columbia guru, listed in the V8 Times... Ask him for a price to BUY that stuff. You might be surprised.
'Course, being the 'good' guy that I am, I could offer to help you out by taking the stuff off your hands ???

Columbia Two Speed Parts, Inc.
PO Box 891311
Temecula, CA 92589
(951) 719-4077
[email protected]

Good people.