The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   options for electronic ignition conversion on my '41 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266353)

BUBBAS IGNITION 07-17-2019 07:15 AM

Re: options for electronic ignition conversion on my '41

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1778043)
I think I meant what you thought I meant. In summary, the Bosch blue coil has 1.5 ohms of additional resistance over the resistance of the windings, so an external resistor is not needed.

The primary winding of the Bosch Blue coil is wound so it has approx 3.0 ohms of resistance from end to end,there is no resistor etc in the coil.

Coil winding wire sizes changes with needs and output requirements. Center steel laminets wire size ( as well as position some put primary windings in the center and other makers put it on the outside) . Each coil has a inductor rating for the job. The low compression of the flatheads make this a easy job for most coils....

RKS.PA 07-17-2019 07:32 AM

Guys, it seems like the preference for electronic vs. stock ignition is highly personal, with undying fans on each side......a little like the 6 volts vs. 12 volts conversion pros and cons.

I have both electronic and "conventional" or stock ignitions on my cars. When the electronic (Pertronix) failed, my solution was AAA with the roll back to get back to my house where I could fix it. Carrying a spare distributor etc. and changing it roadside isn't my idea of a good time, but I could do it and admire those who do.

I love the electronic ignition that the PO put on the car that has it.....12 volts and instant starts etc. I also love the 6 volt conventional...Bubba crab and Skip coil... that's on the the car set up that way.

So, to each his own...and I am thankful we have the options and the tech support to keep each one going!!:)

randy993 07-17-2019 08:38 AM

I want to thank everyone for the replies and suggestions. I beleive for now I'm going to stay with the stock set up. I've ordered a service manual and hope I can get educated on how to service it.
Thanks again,

tubman 07-17-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy993 (Post 1778203)
I want to thank everyone for the replies and suggestions. I beleive for now I'm going to stay with the stock set up. I've ordered a service manual and hope I can get educated on how to service it.
Thanks again,

A good plan that's not dependent on the type of ignition you choose.

RKS.PA 07-17-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy993 (Post 1778203)
Thanks again,

Despite my natural resistance and lack of talent, the "learning and getting educated" is my number one source of happiness with this hobby!

Tubman nailed it in his post above!!!

4dFord/SC 07-17-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKS.PA (Post 1778187)
Guys, it seems like the preference for electronic vs. stock ignition is highly personal, with undying fans on each side......a little like the 6 volts vs. 12 volts conversion pros and cons.

Or which oil to use in a flathead.

Tinker 07-17-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko39 (Post 1778173)
fa54

Thanks Marko. I might order a few from napa and mess around changing them out to see if I feel a difference.

I might also buy tubmans version too. Seems like a very good one. Pre-tested anyways.

ct1932ford 07-18-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxle (Post 1777921)
How much of a difference is there when you use another coil?

The resistance needs to be correct for the module requirements. I think 1.5
All the failures I have seen were using the wrong coil.

BUBBAS IGNITION 07-21-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct1932ford (Post 1778551)
The resistance needs to be correct for the module requirements. I think 1.5
All the failures I have seen were using the wrong coil.

Yep every time.......:eek: