The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parts found at an old mine, are they Model T? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263983)

Toysx2 05-27-2019 07:32 AM

Parts found at an old mine, are they Model T?

6 Attachment(s)
I recently came across an old automobile frame and several other parts at an abandoned mine site in central Arizona. With limited knowledge and experience as far as vintage cars go, I would appreciate any input as to what I saw. I think that the frame and the majority of the parts are Ford Model T, but I am not 100% certain. I would appreciate thoughts as to the relative age of the frame and the parts. The mine was in operation from the 1920s through the 1930s. I am curious about the box near the front of the frame that seems to have a switch or valve control. I have not been able to locate any info on what that was about. Is it possible to infer whether the frame was once a car or was it a truck? The pair of axles are confusing. Their parts do not seem to belong together, is that correct? Thanks for any assistance!

rotorwrench 05-27-2019 08:28 AM

Re: Parts found at an old mine, are they Model T?

Some of them certainly appear to be. Model Ts were sometimes used as what a lot of folks refer to as donkey engines or a form of rotating power for moving mining ore or for logging as winches. I'm not sure about the solid wheel parts though. They may be Dodge Brothers. Most model T & TT vehicles had wood spokes till 1926 or 27. They may have been adapted but I don't know for any certainty.Maybe someone else will have more recognition.

The switch box was for ignition and one ammeter gauge.

stevests 05-27-2019 10:12 AM

Yes, Model T parts & the chassis is the remains of a TT truck - the front axle is Model T with non-Ford disc wheels.

redmodelt 05-27-2019 10:33 AM

yes to most of the car/truck parts except the disk wheels which look to be Chevrolet.

Randy in ca 05-28-2019 12:52 AM

Hard to tell for sure, but after blowing the pictures up I don't think that the axles are from a Model T -- maybe came from the same vehicle as the wheels did. Also interesting is that the front axles shown have rear Model T springs mounted on them!!

Toysx2 05-28-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy in ca (Post 1761964)
Hard to tell for sure, but after blowing the pictures up I don't think that the axles are from a Model T -- maybe came from the same vehicle as the wheels did. Also interesting is that the front axles shown have rear Model T springs mounted on them!!

That the axles, wheels and springs might have been a clever hack was what I had wondered.......It appears that the springs were welded onto other spring eyes to fit the spacing needed.

redmodelt 05-28-2019 09:52 AM

You are right about the two front axles not being Ford.

dumb person 05-31-2019 02:41 PM

Model T ton truck with random oil pans and some axles made into a trailer.

And i've built running cars from worse parts than that.

Ed in Maine 06-21-2019 02:04 PM

I think those solid disc wheels were used on a rail system, maybe carrying ore out of the mine??? The rims look like they have a stepped edge to fit a rail. The top of the steering column is Model T from the 1920s. The smaller sheet metal next to the engine pans is from the lower radiator shell. The front axle is up side down and I think I can make out the oiler for the kingpin on the right side of the picture. These pictures are great to look at. Somebody worked their tail off using this equipment. Ed

t42 06-21-2019 09:02 PM

The box you are asking about is the keyed ignition switch and the opening next to it was where the large ammeter was installed. This box was used on T trucks back in the day.
Nice photos by the way