The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   windshield scratches (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229102)

wingski 09-13-2017 06:14 PM

windshield scratches

I had to share this. There were two scratches on the inside of the passenger’s side of my windshield. I could easily imagine a woman with a diamond ring wiping that window who knows how long ago. One scratch was fairly deep and would stop my finger nail when I rubbed across it. The other wasn’t as bad, but was easily seen. I pulled out my CO1 glass polishing compound and soaked the polishing wheel in water for a few hours. After mixing the compound 2 to 1 with water, I started buffing out the scratches. I started with a battery powered drill and switched to a cord drill, but it was too fast. I recharged the battery drill and buffed on and off for about an hour. Those scratches are completely gone. No trace. NADA.
You know there are some good things about getting older. Patience is definitely one of them. Thanks for letting me share. Mike

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-14-2017 09:02 AM

Re: windshield scratches

PATIENCE, HELL:eek:---I want it NOW!!!!:D---WHAR'S my MEDS???---HEY, Dog, "Whar's my MEDS"???
Bill Nervous

wingski 09-14-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1527100)
PATIENCE, HELL:eek:---I want it NOW!!!!:D---WHAR'S my MEDS???---HEY, Dog, "Whar's my MEDS"???
Bill Nervous

Hey Bill, you nailed it about the meds. Yesterday morning I had to go without because I had to have a blood test at 8:05 am. My god, I almost turned around as I drove to the doctor to get my wife to drive me instead. I know the meds are important to the quality of my life, but geez I hate to be so dependent on anything. I can’t blame it all on old age because of all the injuries I’ve accumalated along the way. Almost all of them happened while I was doing something I loved, especially racing and I wouldn’t change anything. However, holy crap some of those injuries really like to come back and bite me in the ass.

The one time I didn’t injure myself doing something really dangerous was when I initated I-5 in my ’65 white XKE Jag. The freeway had been completed but wasn’t open to the public yet. I told almost everybody I knew about what I was going to do and where. They showed up along side the freeway at every mile marker for five miles with cold beer and stopwatches. My average speed for those five miles was 160, and that new pavement felt soo good. I can’t describe the sound of the Jag at 160, but it was totally awesome.

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-14-2017 01:16 PM

I worked on JAGUARS for YEARS, oh the stories I could BORE you with!
Bill Matey

Tacoma Bob 09-14-2017 03:33 PM

Griot's sells a clay cleaning product that worked well for me. It did take out some small scratches and imperfections in my decades old safety glass. I was really happy with the end result.

Synchro909 09-14-2017 06:31 PM

Has buffing those scratches out caused the windscreen to act like a lens and distort what you see through it? Eg, Are straight edges still straight?

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-14-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1527316)
Has buffing those scratches out caused the windscreen to act like a lens and distort what you see through it? Eg, Are straight edges still straight?

I've seen NEW cars with DISTORTED glass:eek:
Bill Mirror

Synchro909 09-14-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1527357)
I've seen NEW cars with DISTORTED glass:eek:
Bill Mirror

Yup, so have I but not sure if it was the screen or me. I've been told I'm a bit distorted too!:D

old31 09-15-2017 07:25 AM

Yes, usually a buffed out windshield will leave a wavy distortion.

wingski 09-15-2017 09:21 AM

No distortion whatsoever.