The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   6V generator (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269372)

Ricosan 09-12-2019 01:47 PM

6V generator

I just bought a “rebuilt “ 6V generator from a fellow on EBay. It looks real good but it has a loud squeal when turned by hand. Should I send this generator back?

Richard

1931 flamingo 09-12-2019 01:52 PM

Re: 6V generator

Maybe a brush "cocked" during shipping??
Paul in CT

petehoovie 09-12-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricosan (Post 1798341)
I just bought a “rebuilt “ 6V generator from a fellow on EBay. It looks real good but it has a loud squeal when turned by hand. Should I send this generator back?

Richard

If it is truly rebuilt it will have new brushes. Many times the new brushes will squeal....

Ricosan 09-12-2019 03:22 PM

I don’t want to send this generator back if there is a chance that it’s just a matter of running it for a while. Tomorrow I’ll install it and run it for a bit.

Richard

KGS 09-12-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricosan (Post 1798382)
I don’t want to send this generator back if there is a chance that it’s just a matter of running it for a while. Tomorrow I’ll install it and run it for a bit.

Richard

I would contact the seller first and discuss your concerns. I don't know the terms of your sale but most sellers won't take back an electrical item if it has been used.

flatford8 09-12-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGS (Post 1798389)
I would contact the seller first and discuss your concerns. I don't know the terms of your sale but most sellers won't take back an electrical item if it has been used.

X2 on this advice...let them know you think there might be a problem and ask if you can return it if you end up being right.....Mark

Ricosan 09-12-2019 07:48 PM

Thanks guys, good advice. I’ll get in touch he seller before I install.

Richard

Scotty's 52 F3 09-12-2019 09:32 PM

When I rebuilt my generator the new brushes on a fresh commutator squealed like you describe. They will wear in as mentioned.

Please let us know how it goes so this can help others down the road instead of being a dead end thread.

Tinker 09-12-2019 09:35 PM

I'd make a complaint to the company even if it turns out well just for records. You can always say your fine publicly.

petehoovie 09-12-2019 09:49 PM

If you've got some dielectric silicone spray or contact cleaner on hand, spray it on the commutator where the brushes mate and I'll bet the squeal goes away....

koates 09-13-2019 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1798473)
If you've got some dielectric silicone spray or contact cleaner on hand, spray it on the commutator where the brushes mate and I'll bet the squeal goes away....

Sorry but I don't recommend spraying anything on the commutator or brushes at all. Take the generator to your local auto electrical shop and have him run it up on his test bench. The only thing to do on the commutator is run some fine sandpaper around it. Don't use emery paper. Regards, Kevin.

Terry,OH 09-13-2019 06:40 AM

Did you add oil to the rear bushing through the oil cup? What year is the generator?

Kurt in NJ 09-13-2019 08:02 AM

many times brushes will squeak when the generator is turned backwards

Bill OH 09-13-2019 08:10 AM

I had the same problem with squeaky generator brushes on a flathead when I was 16 and my grandfather had me put just a drop of kerosene on the commutator and no problems after that application.

Ricosan 09-13-2019 01:41 PM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I’ve just finished installing the generator. Too hot for a long drive this afternoon so I plan to take it out in the morning for a 10 or 15 mile drive to see if I can get the brushes to settle in.

Richard

Ricosan 09-14-2019 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took my car for a drive this morning. Squeal is still there but the engine makes so much noise I can hardly hear it. Problem is that it isn’t charging. My original generator had 2 wires coming from the hole on topand this one has only a single post. I think I hooked it up correctly. Here is what I did. I made a short piece of wire to connect the “ARM” side of the cutout to the post on the generator and connected the battery wire to the “BAT” side.

No weird noises or any smoke. Does it sound like a bad cutout?

Richard

Bob C 09-14-2019 01:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like you are missing the insulator on the cutout cover.

Bob

petehoovie 09-14-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob c (Post 1798963)
looks like you are missing the insulator on the cutout cover.
Bob

yup!

Ricosan 09-14-2019 03:29 PM

Thanks guys, I found the old insulator stuck to the end of the wire on my old generator!
I installed it and I started it in the garage It appears to be working. I will take it for a drive tomorrow to see if is functioning properly.

Richard

Ricosan 09-15-2019 09:24 AM

Started my car this morning to take it out for a test of the generator. It started easily but as soon as I massaged the accelerator to keep it running, I heard a loud noise. As I raise the RPMs, this noise intermittently kicks in and out. Had no noise on my drive yesterday. The only thing different is the addition of the insulator washer.

Richard