The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Williamson’s instruments.. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267544)

35fordtn 08-07-2019 09:44 PM

Williamson’s instruments..

Has anyone else on here had any issues out of Williamson’s for gauge repair? While I won’t go into my specific situation, thus far I’m not to pleased; and I haven’t even received my gauges back yet.

petehoovie 08-07-2019 09:48 PM

Re: Williamson’s instruments..

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1785470)
Has anyone else on here had any issues out of Williamson’s for gauge repair? While I won’t go into my specific situation, thus far I’m not to pleased.

They restored/repaired my glove-box clock and it turned out excellent but their turnaround time was very slow....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1565232501

big deuce 08-07-2019 11:45 PM

They converted an old Sun football tach from battery to 12v for me, did a fantastic job. Best suggestion is keep the communication lines open... Not just anyone can do what they do, be patient and check in with them.

tubman 08-08-2019 05:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by big deuce (Post 1785494)
They converted an old Sun football tach from battery to 12v for me, did a fantastic job. Best suggestion is keep the communication lines open... Not just anyone can do what they do, be patient and check in with them.

They're not the only ones who can do that; 12 volts is easy. We converted it to run on 6 volt positive ground. I have a video of a conversion we did, but can't upload it to this site for some reason. If anyone has any interest, contact me.

big deuce 08-08-2019 07:21 AM

Good to know!

Seth Swoboda 08-08-2019 08:10 AM

There is a place near Chicago called "Instrument Services". They will do gauge repair and restoration. I have used them in the past with quick turn around and good results. They do aviation instrument repair also.

uncle buck 08-08-2019 08:41 AM

They did great work for me , but as said slow turnaround.

4dFord/SC 08-08-2019 10:11 AM

The Sun Football tach they converted for me nine years ago quit working earlier this year. I contacted them through the website, and Ron promptly replied to send it back. It was repaired and returned in good working order within three weeks, at no charge and with a lifetime warranty.

paul2748 08-08-2019 08:00 PM

They converted two clocks to quartz movements. First one was done 16 years ago, second about 10 years ago. No trouble with either of them, both keep excellent time.

1948F-1Pickup 08-09-2019 11:28 AM

Had them repair and calibrate a Faria tach for a race car many years ago.
(as in the early 90's)
Drove that car last week- tach still works great.
They were definitely not fast turnaround, even back then....

russcc 08-09-2019 07:15 PM

Ron does good work, you have to be patient, as turnaround depends on how busy they are Well spaced, positive phone calls to Ron tend grease the ways. Worth the wait.

big job 08-10-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1785516)
They're not the only ones who can do that; 12 volts is easy. We converted it to run on 6 volt positive ground. I have a video of a conversion we did, but can't upload it to this site for some reason. If anyone has any interest, contact me.

Just curious, I have several EB 9 8cylinder 12 vt senders and tach gauges
that are special that go to 3500 rpm with indicated road speed with
Flxible logo (special made for the Flxible Co.) question is; is it possible to get
rid of the two batterys ? I read somewhere it can be done. I'll try to load a
picture if I can. Sam

sanford 08-15-2019 06:30 PM

I've spoken to Ron of Williamson a few times recently. They had a family member with sudden serious health issues and problems at work due to bad weather. I spoke to someone I know who finally got a part back that they restored and he was estatic with the job they did. But it took 5 months! Ron told me he loses sleep over how far they are behind and how he's letting customers down because the time it takes them to do some jobs.