The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Could Use Some Help With License Plate Restoration (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301142)

Slopey1939 07-13-2021 09:33 PM

Could Use Some Help With License Plate Restoration

So many years ago (about 2002) I located a prince of a guy that did license plate restoration in Walnut Creek, CA. He did the two 39 plates and they were beautiful and still are. $85. Then he retired a few years ago. I know, it was a long time ago but now from what I have seen restoration of plates is running $300 to $400! My second set of plates are in VG good condition but not quite good enough to complement the second car.

Any referrals or information regarding plate restoration would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.
Dave

tomcarman 07-13-2021 11:30 PM

Re: Could Use Some Help With License Plate Restoration

Here's a link I used. Plate came out nice and accepted by DMV. Also there are several restorers listed in Hemmings.
https://www.oldlicensefarm.com/contact.html

Thread you might be interested in,
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ate+nice+legal

Slopey1939 07-13-2021 11:42 PM

Tomcarman,
Thank you sir. I will certainly follow up the information you have provided.
Regards

325w 07-14-2021 08:00 AM

Man on the Hamb in st Louise does a great job on plates

richard crow 07-14-2021 08:43 AM

some states like new york will not except restored plats. you have to restore them after you reegster them. check with your state

nelsb01 07-14-2021 09:21 AM

If you are a Early Ford V-8 Club member, check the last issue of the V-8 TIMES. A very nice gentleman in Michigan does them for about the same price as you stated you paid for the first pair of plates.
Dont have the information with me -- check him out. (maybe some V-8 member will help me out here) Fast, correct service. He also has color descriptions for most states for most years.

Zax40 07-14-2021 09:40 AM

How bad of plates can they fix?

My '40 plate has a bullet hole in it. DMV did not care though and it kind of adds to the character.

TJ 07-14-2021 09:47 AM

Contact Duane Wells in Michigan. He advertises in the V-8 Times magazine in the "services" section. Ph# 517-371-3225. He has done two sets of plates for me and a great job. He's also very reasonable.

Doublepumper 07-14-2021 01:22 PM

Another plug for Bjorn Larson at The Old License Farm. He fixed me up with a plate for my '46 pickup, when nobody else could.
It's a beauty and I had no problems getting it registered. Due to it being a scarce plate (only trucks got a plate in Washington in '46), it wasn't cheap but, it was well worth it to me. Very pleased with his customer service and communication also.

51504bat 07-14-2021 03:18 PM

I've never used him for restoration but I have bought CA YOM plates from him and was very happy with the plates I bought. He is in Pasadena, CA and on the HAMB.

http://www.oldpl8s.com/

52flthed 07-15-2021 05:33 PM

I used Brian Mabry (423) 716-8094

[email protected]

What I found was amazing is the process he uses is exactly like the state uses or used back then; the paint or ink is printed on. Its not painted on with a brush -the difference is night and day. Use him if you are looking for a very high quality restoration at a reasonable price point.

Dan McEachern 07-15-2021 06:00 PM

Larry Hoeft has done a great job for me on several sets, and he won't break your piggy bank.

corvette8n 07-16-2021 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did this one myself, painted the red first, then masked the numbers and carefully cut around the numbers with a razor knife. This plate is for display at car shows as I have some YOM NY plates the car is registered with.

Anteek29 07-16-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvette8n (Post 2036654)
I did this one myself, painted the red first, then masked the numbers and carefully cut around the numbers with a razor knife. This plate is for display at car shows as I have some YOM NY plates the car is registered with.

Good job! ;)

nelsb01 07-16-2021 04:43 PM

TJ supplied the person I was talking about. You can find others, but Duane knows his stuff and like I said, if you have a year plate with not paint on it, he has the manuals to find the correct colors to restore it.

std1940 07-17-2021 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want the absolute best check Restore A Tag.
Warning very pricey!
WWW.RestoreATag.com
The topper and plate pictured in this post is his work.
Tom.

52flthed 07-18-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by std1940 (Post 2036999)
If you want the absolute best check Restore A Tag.
Warning very pricey!
WWW.RestoreATag.com
The topper and plate pictured in this post is his work.
Tom.

Tom- was that some kind of special VIP original issued plate from 1940 or a new one Shaun made for you? A 1940 plate that reads 1-940 that’s pretty unique if it’s from back in that time. Also the topper what’s the story behind that? Thanks for sharing!

Pat/Ohio 07-20-2021 08:10 AM

Duane Wells just restored a single Ohio 1947 plate for me. He did a fantastic job on it. Fast turn-around also.

Stay Safe,
Pat

Slopey1939 07-26-2021 10:20 PM

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated. It will certainly help with the project. Oh, the plates are already registered.
Dave

woodiewagon46 07-27-2021 07:19 PM

What I would suggest is to do your research on all the companies that have been mentioned. I have a friend that sent his plates to one of the companies mentioned and his plates are a work of art. BUT, do you really need two coats of clear after the plate has been painted and rubbed out? I prefer plates that look original, the way they were issued. You can over restore a car and you can over restore license plates.