The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Battery Comment - Not What You Think! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295134)

Marcus 02-28-2021 06:26 PM

Battery Comment - Not What You Think!

Remember when your mentor (Dad, Uncle, Cousin, whomever) told you to ALWAYS use two wrenches when loosening and/or tightening the battery cables to the terminals, or you risk breakng the battery terminal away from the battery? Well, I didn't and I did: thank goodness it was a 12 year old Optima, and I have a "hot" spare. But still.......listening, JWL?? I won't do that again!!

Mart 02-28-2021 07:22 PM

Re: Battery Comment - Not What You Think!

Doh!

paul2748 02-28-2021 08:35 PM

Never used two wrenches in loosening or tightening the cables to the battery. never had a problem either. They certainly do not need to be that tight

50fordcoupeman 02-28-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 1990615)
Remember when your mentor (Dad, Uncle, Cousin, whomever) told you to ALWAYS use two wrenches when loosening and/or tightening the battery cables to the terminals, or you risk breakng the battery terminal away from the battery? Well, I didn't and I did: thank goodness it was a 12 year old Optima, and I have a "hot" spare. But still.......listening, JWL?? I won't do that again!!

While growing up on the farm, that our instructions also!!

WABOOM 02-28-2021 09:41 PM

I was taught to put the clamp on about 3/4 of the way down and the hammer it down the rest of the way. (I don't do it like that)

Lawson Cox 02-28-2021 09:46 PM

Most of the cables have a flat where the head of the bolt goes, to keep the bolt from turning, and you can't get a wrench on it. My 2¢.

mfirth 02-28-2021 10:09 PM

Also, NEVER let your wrench touch the other post.....when you're hot ; you're hot....put a nice mark on my ring finger & pited my wedding band....talk about DUH.

Craig CT 02-28-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 1990615)

Hello Marcus; So this is actually a post about a post. Very clever. I hope you and the Mrs. are well, Craig.

cmbrucew 02-28-2021 10:53 PM

Marcus
If the battery is new/good/expensive, take it to a battery shop that remanufactors or builds them, the post can be repoured.
Bruce

JWL 03-01-2021 12:47 AM

Yes, I understand and am paying attention.

JWL

Ford Freak 03-01-2021 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=paul2748;1990668]Never used two wrenches in loosening or tightening the cables to the battery. never had a problem either. They certainly do not need to be that tight[/QUOTE

x2!!

Mart 03-01-2021 07:48 AM

Learnt the hard way as a snotty nosed kid not to tap them in place with a hammer. The post went inside the battery.

40cpe 03-01-2021 08:23 AM

As others have noted above, it doesn't need to be really tight. I also hold the cable up close to the post in the opposite direction of the wrench force to support the post.