The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   coker tires out of round (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275062)

chiefdave 01-08-2020 12:08 AM

coker tires out of round

Took my '49 Tudor to the local tire shop to have the fronts (6.00R16) balanced because of a vibration. The car came with an extensive service record that shows them install in 2006 and have had about 3,500 miles on them. Balance was good but they were slightly out of round. I know bias ply are bad about flat spotting but have not heard of radials doing this. I intend on using the car as a fair weather driver. Will extended driving help them return to the original shape? Replacement would be close to $1K with tubes and mounting and I'm not a rich man.

David J 01-08-2020 01:42 AM

Re: coker tires out of round

Have them trued up . Tire cutters around here cut tires down for racers and also dealers that are replacing partial sets . Makes the new ones look like the used ones . Also makes them perfectly round . Remember to mark the wheel-tire if you dismount one .

37 Cab 01-08-2020 06:04 AM

I would not chance driving on tires that old.. Hard on the body work.

Branded 01-08-2020 09:08 AM

14 year old tires aren’t something I would trust in less you are going to be only driving around town and below 49 MPH.

TJ 01-08-2020 09:54 AM

Tires might look good, but they are too old.

V8COOPMAN 01-08-2020 10:34 AM

If only I had $1.00 for every out-of-round tire that has been reported on these forums for the past twenty or so years, I would just about have enough to buy a new, mid-engine Corvette. And yeah, FOURTEEN years for a rubber tire is far beyond any semblance of safe. The '40 coupe below obviously burned to a crisp after a perfectly good looking OLD tire threw a tread which tore-out the fuel fill pipe with a full tank of gas. Do yourself a huge favor and find a way to afford new tires, and NOT from Coker. There are too many reasonable choices for old car tires now-a-days. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=41913

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=41915

woodiewagon46 01-08-2020 10:48 AM

Excellent advice from V8coopman, I will never purchase Coker's again.

philipswanson 01-08-2020 10:52 AM

Those tires are way too old anyway. Take this as a warning from the guy upstairs. You don't need to go back to expensive Cokers either. I am running Cooper radial blackwalls at $97 a piece from Discount Tire on my 40 wagon. I went to a little wider rim using pre-67 F100s. They are true as can be and the car drives and brakes 100% better and I don't mind replacing tires every 10 years at that price. Good luck to you.

rotorwrench 01-08-2020 11:04 AM

I don't think it is so much that Coker made them bad as much as it is that a lot of them are old tech tires made the way they were back in the day with older molds. Nylon bias ply tires don't have the same carcass as a radial tire. They don't handle the same way either. You will find bad tires by a percentage level from all tire manufacturers.

If a tire is new then it should be relatively round when inflated to normal pressure. If it isn't then that could be shaved to even it up. I wouldn't bother to shave an uneven tire if it was more than 6 years old and especially if it was mounted and installed an a car that sets a lot.

A tire doesn't stay round while your driving it but the tread should be fairly close to round on a new tire before running it.

When they wind a new tread onto a carcass, there is always an overlap that makes it out of round. The mold is supposed to even the tire up when its in the final stages of manufacture but it's not a perfect world either. This is why they balance the them after mounting. There is always a heavy side where the overlap is.

TJ 01-08-2020 12:49 PM

If you really need whitewalls and radials I would use Diamondback.

tubman 01-08-2020 02:03 PM

I have Coker Classic radials on my '51, and not only are they round, but they needed minimum weights to balance. Quite frankly, I gave up on bias plies long ago since I like to drive my cars.

Tony, NY 01-08-2020 02:25 PM

I've had Coker Classic radials for about 5 yrs now with no problems. The bias plys are more know to be out of round.

Krylon32 01-08-2020 02:27 PM

Another vote for Diamond Back. Much better quality tires than Coker

FrankWest 01-08-2020 02:41 PM

who makes a good 1933 vintage 'thin" tire

JSeery 01-08-2020 09:13 PM

On the HAMB there are lots of post about issues with Corker tires and also post about no problems!

Tinker 01-08-2020 09:24 PM

JSeery, always about bias-plys. I've never had any issue what soever with the bias-ply. Usually the first thing I do with a new vehicle. Also wouldn't hesitate to buy today.

People that have issues they returned or shave the tires. No idea who does that in an area. Remember letting a car sit for months on end will create a flat spot. I put my vehicles on jack stands over the winter months. Maybe unnecessary.

A bones 01-09-2020 11:00 AM

I also have jack stands for parking my cars.
The issue of aged tires is not a debate. Just ridiculous to let your pride and joy suffer from lack of good tires.

If you can get ahold of TomT/Williamsburg, Barn member, he can give some good ideas on what to buy. He likes to run from coast to coast.

chiefdave 01-10-2020 12:39 PM

Thanks for all the input. I've decided to bite the bullet and replace the tires with what is on the car now (Coker classic radials). I have a speedo error (60 mph gauge=58 mph GPS). Would it hurt anything to go up a size to 6.50's to correct this error? Has anyone used these tires tubeless on stock rims? Thanks, Dave.

rotorwrench 01-10-2020 06:02 PM

A different circumference tire set would change your MPH actual but it could go on the other side of the scale too. Only 2 MPH isn't all that bad as long as you know where the actual ground speed is at in relation to the speedo. It's a crap shoot if your willing to throw the dice.

It generally takes a little more power to pull a larger set of tires too.

Tinker 01-10-2020 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear ends, tires, and turtles.

But if your local cop pulls you over for going 2mpg +/- then that maybe something else.