The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   elongated holes for steering box on a 34 frame (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206879)

31steve 10-13-2016 11:55 AM

elongated holes for steering box on a 34 frame

I just rebuilt the steering box on my 34 coupe and noticed that the three holes in the frame that it bolts to were elongated. Is this factory or has someone done it to lower the steering column? I was going to weld them up but thought I should ask first after reading that some 32's came with elongated holes. What about 34's? Thanks, Steve

Ken/Alabama 10-13-2016 01:49 PM

Re: elongated holes for steering box on a 34 frame

My guess is that they came that way. Being elongated allows for proper alignment of the steering box and shaft . I always loosely bolt the box to the frame and then tighten the column drop to the dash. If you bolt the box tight first you run the risk of the shaft being in a bind when the column drop is mounted.

FlatheadTed 10-13-2016 01:51 PM

Yes they came that way Ted

Bruce Lancaster 10-13-2016 02:12 PM

Same as '32...same frame was used on pickups and passenger. The shorter cowl on the pickups meant the steering angle was different...slots allowed use of same box tilted to suit.

Jack E/NJ 10-13-2016 02:19 PM

Related question. Can the steering box be slightly lowered to accommodate a header which just kisses the box, thus preventing installation of the header? I'd rather not dimple the header tube to accommodate the box.

Jack E/NJ

DavidG 10-13-2016 02:55 PM

Only late '32s have the elongated holes. All other '32s had three round holes and separate sector housings for passenger cars (and sedan deliveries) and commercial vehicles with the more upright steering column.

FlatheadTed 10-13-2016 04:47 PM

34s had the elongated holes ,at least Canadian or foreign RH drive .Ted

DavidG 10-13-2016 05:10 PM

My comment about round holes was limited to '32s.

Jack E/NJ 10-13-2016 05:19 PM

OK. So can I accommodate a header that's kissing an early 38 steering box by lowering the box instead of dimpling the header? Thanks.

Jack E/NJ

Mart 10-13-2016 05:47 PM

Jack:
Yes you can.
You can do what ever you want.

Whether it is a good idea is a different question. Personally I would not modify or alter Ford parts but would modify the non ford part - namely the header. Could you create a clearance by spacing the engine mount just a tad?

Mart.

31steve 10-13-2016 07:36 PM

Thanks for the help! After reading the replies I looked at the passenger side and it was set up for RHD with the same elongated holes. Steve

Jack E/NJ 10-13-2016 08:15 PM

Mart>>>Could you create a clearance by spacing the engine mount just a tad? >>>

Guess I could, Mart. Seems like there's a bit of slop in both the engine and tranny mount holes. Maybe also loosen the nuts on the tranny mount. Easy to do now since the floor is out. Then nudge the whole affair a quarter inch or so toward the passenger side. The universal joint probably wouldn't notice. Whaddya think? Or should I just pound a dimple in the header to be on the safe side?

Jack E/NJ

Lawrie 10-13-2016 09:52 PM

would not the elongated holes be there to allow the steering box to be adjusted in the car,as when the adjustments are done the the part that bolts to the chassis moves in relation to the box.
lawrie

Mart 10-14-2016 02:26 AM

Don't move the trans mount to the side, (assuming torque tube drive) as it will "steer" the rear axle off line a bit.

Jack E/NJ 10-14-2016 08:43 AM

Mart>>>Don't move the trans mount to the side, (assuming torque tube drive) as it will "steer" the rear axle off line a bit.>>>

Mart---Then I guess I don't see how it'd be possible to space the engine mount just a tad without also affecting the solidly-connected transmission alignment? For that matter, the anti-chatter rods probably wouldn't allow it anyway.

So at this point I guess my only options are to dimple the tube with a hammer or determine if the box can be 'easily' lowered a tad.

Jack E/NJ

40 Deluxe 10-14-2016 09:22 AM

Saw a video done by Hot Rod magazine where they dynode an engine, then proceeded to bash in header tubes with a blacksmith hammer. Power output was not affected until tubes were crushed nearly flat. So a dimple or two won't hurt anything.

Jack E/NJ 10-14-2016 09:33 AM

Yeah, I saw that video and result too. But, as Lawrie suggested, if the elongated holes are there, an adjustment downward is probably possible. I don't need more than a 1/4" of clearance to avoid having to bash the header.

Jack E/NJ