The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil change (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107581)

Msaby 05-30-2013 06:23 AM

Oil change

I am planning on draining the oil on my car this weekend.
* Do I just remove the drain plug and empty the pan?
* Is there a screen or filter of some sort?
* What oil is recommended?
* How may quarts of oil are needed?

Sorry for the basic questions, I am still learning the vehicle.

Thanks
Mike

al's28/33 05-30-2013 07:02 AM

Re: Oil change

5 quarts non-detergent just remove the plug and drain it. lefty loosy righty tighty

1931 flamingo 05-30-2013 07:03 AM

Yes, install 4 1/2 quarts of YOUR choice oil. Many different views on what type/brand to use. I use 30W. Do a search at top of page. Also suggest you get a copy of Les Andrew's book Vol 1, available from any of the vendor's and possibly amazon. Lots of good info. Al;so get some free catalogs from the vendors, there's a wealth of info in them also.
Paul in CT

ctlikon0712 05-30-2013 07:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A new engine takes 5 quarts but a half quart is retained in various places in the motor so it will take 4 1/2 on a refill. Also the change frequency is 500 miles because there is no filter and a few other reasons. It is just as important to lube the cars lube points properly and on a set schedule. Here is that info...

I got the lube chart from an owners manual that can be found here.
http://www.motormayhem.net/mode-a-fo...owners-manual/

V4F 05-30-2013 08:33 AM

personally i would not use non-detergent oil . it causes sludge . new oils are just fine . i run 20/50 valvoline VR1

sethkestenbaum 05-30-2013 09:13 AM

Mike,

Good questions... especially if you have never changed the oil in your car. I received the following advice when I did my first oil change about 1.5 years ago.

If this is the first oil change on a "new to you" car, be certain to look at how opaque or transparent the oil is that drains. If it looks like chocolate syrup or is really gritty, it may be time to consider "dropping the pan" and cleaning out the valve chamber. If the oil looks like light or dark maple syrup, you are in good shape -- change it regularly and enjoy. If it looks milky, that is a different can of worms completely as you have water or coolant getting in there. If it has pieces of metal in it, call a mechanic!

bogdonj 05-30-2013 09:21 AM

Should also note that when you loosen and take out the plug in the pan make sure you grab the small ring/washer that comes with it and don't allow it to fall into the oil catch bucket...done that and isn't fun. Also when tightening the plug don't over do it and strip the threads. If it's an older engine I run Shell Rotella 15W-40.

J Franklin 05-30-2013 09:26 AM

If you can, find out what the previous owner was using for oil, that will tell you a lot.

baquetA1929 05-30-2013 09:48 AM

As you can tell equals liters? "install 4 1/2 quarts"

Dave in Boise 05-30-2013 11:01 AM

I like the Delo 400 as it is a 15-40 weight and has some zinc in it as it was formulated for diesels.. Just remember, *any* oil is better than none at all :)

- Dave in Boise

James Rogers 05-30-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al's28/33 (Post 661292)
5 quarts non-detergent just remove the plug and drain it. lefty loosy righty tighty

Wrong!

James Rogers 05-30-2013 11:49 AM

Just drain the oil and replace it with enough to bring the level to half way between the F and the L. You may find it will only take 4 quarts to get to that point. Use any Diesel grade HD oil or if you don't want to use Diesel oil any kind of High Detergent is good. Non detergent oil is for lawnmowers and I don't even use it in mine.

Hicktick 05-30-2013 12:09 PM

Warm the engine up first , it will flow out better .

Purdy Swoft 05-30-2013 12:33 PM

I only put in four quarts when I change the oil. Ford recommended 40 weight for summer and 20 weight for winter. 20w40 should be good with todays multi viscosity oils. I've never been able to find a 20w40 oil. I use Walmart 20W50. I figure that the 50 weight will be good for the old engines for summer and the 20 will be good for winter so 20w50 works good for me. One of the members pointed out that the 20w50 Walmart oil is actually Mobil, this confirms that there is really no need to pay more for an advertised brand.

Rock Hornbuckle 05-30-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msaby (Post 661282)
I am planning on draining the oil on my car this weekend.
* Do I just remove the drain plug and empty the pan?
* Is there a screen or filter of some sort?
* What oil is recommended?
* How may quarts of oil are needed?

Sorry for the basic questions, I am still learning the vehicle.

Thanks
Mike

YOUR favorite brand is recommended.

Msaby 05-30-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Hornbuckle (Post 661532)
YOUR favorite brand is recommended.

Sorry I guess I should have been a little more specific as to what weight oil should be used. i didn't mean to create a debate between any members.

Msaby 05-30-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogdonj (Post 661371)
Should also note that when you loosen and take out the plug in the pan make sure you grab the small ring/washer that comes with it and don't allow it to fall into the oil catch bucket...done that and isn't fun. Also when tightening the plug don't over do it and strip the threads. If it's an older engine I run Shell Rotella 15W-40.

yea, I have had that happen to me a few times over the years.

Thanks
Mike

Msaby 05-30-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 661376)
If you can, find out what the previous owner was using for oil, that will tell you a lot.

My father has owned the vehicle for maybe 15 years and hardly drove it. I would have been the one who changed the oil many years ago. The car has been sitting under a car cover for atleast 7-8 years now.

Thanks
Mike

marc hildebrant 05-30-2013 04:51 PM

Msaby,

I would urge you to get the Model A owners manual and other Model A books and THEN ask for help on the Barn.

In that manner, you can compare the answers....

Marc

Jordan 05-30-2013 04:52 PM

I have used 50w, 30w, 10w30, 10w40--- the point is, nothing's blown up yet! If you don't know what was used in it before, I would go with a 30 or 40w valvoline. Valvoline is the best oil on the market. Stay away from Penzoil. There's no need to change your oil every 500 miles with todays quality of oil. Any engine building will tell you about 1,000 miles without a filter, or 2,000 with a filter.