The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sector Shaft Adjusting Screw (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191849)

moonshine runner 03-17-2016 09:06 PM

Sector Shaft Adjusting Screw

Hello Barners!

Hope everyone is doing well !

I am wondering if it is possible to replace the sector shaft adjusting screw on a 1956 Ford Victoria steering gear box, and if so, is it even possible to find one?

Thanks!!

Kevin

Daves55Sedan 03-17-2016 11:28 PM

Re: Sector Shaft Adjusting Screw

Why would you want to replace it. It is not something that incurs wear, and normally shouldn't need replacement. It is not something you could find in a hardware store, and I have not seen one offered by any of the resto parts suppliers.
If adjustment is needed, remove the hexagon cap on top of the screw, then remove the star washer. The star washer must be temporarily removed to allow for the screw to be turned as it has a keyway that locks the screw in place when the cap is bolted down. After the star washer is removed, use a large screwdriver to turn the screw clockwise to take up the slack between the worm and roller gears. Re-install the star washer and hex cap.

moonshine runner 03-18-2016 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan (Post 1260500)
Why would you want to replace it. It is not something that incurs wear, and normally shouldn't need replacement. It is not something you could find in a hardware store, and I have not seen one offered by any of the resto parts suppliers.
If adjustment is needed, remove the hexagon cap on top of the screw, then remove the star washer. The star washer must be temporarily removed to allow for the screw to be turned as it has a keyway that locks the screw in place when the cap is bolted down. After the star washer is removed, use a large screwdriver to turn the screw clockwise to take up the slack between the worm and roller gears. Re-install the star washer and hex cap.

Dave,

How you doing sir?

I totally understand what your saying and I'm not wanting to just replace it for the sake of it. Here's the story.

The other evening I put a 3/4 socket on the hexcap and it just fell off! I thought what the heck. I looked and where the adjustment screw is slotted, one side was broken off.

I got under the car and got the cap, because that's where it fell and when I looked inside it, there was something in it that looked like someone took a cap full of Tide, wet it and allowed it to dry. (I know that wasn't what it was), but I scrapped it out and cleaned it up but what concerns me is that 1/2 of the top of the adjuster is gone!

So, I was wondering it there was one available.

Thanks!!

Kevin

JeffB2 03-18-2016 06:42 PM

www.owenssalvage.com would probably have a good used one.

nascardave 03-18-2016 10:39 PM

Hi, I have the adjustment screw, washer and cap nut, all in good shape. $15 delivered, by way of u.s. mail. Dave

JeffB2 03-19-2016 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascardave (Post 1261019)
Hi, I have the adjustment screw, washer and cap nut, all in good shape. $15 delivered, by way of u.s. mail. Dave

:D I'd call that a good deal !

moonshine runner 03-20-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascardave (Post 1261019)

Hello nascardave!

Yes that is a great deal. Please PM me your address and I'll put a money order into the mail tomorrow for you.

Thanks!!

Kevin

moonshine runner 03-20-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffB2 (Post 1260906)
www.owenssalvage.com would probably have a good used one.

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply with that information!!

I appreciate it!

Kevin