The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Goodyear Tire (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192664)

farmerjohn39 03-28-2016 01:54 PM

New Goodyear Tire

Anyone have a reccomendation for removal of the blue coating on wide whites. I've tried westleys and green scotch brite. It's working but slow.

Bill Snyder 03-28-2016 01:58 PM

Re: New Goodyear Tire

I just purchased and mounted four Goodyear tires last week. I used Westley's and a high pressure sprayer at the local car wash. It came right off with no problem.

farmerjohn39 03-28-2016 02:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I used Westleys and a stiff brush and let it soak but took forever.

Tom Wesenberg 03-28-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Snyder (Post 1266644)
I just purchased and mounted four Goodyear tires last week. I used Westley's and a high pressure sprayer at the local car wash. It came right off with no problem.

X2, it's always worked fast for me, but I haven't washed whitewalls in over 30 years.

Fhane 03-28-2016 02:51 PM

Pink Brillo Pad only. Chemicals tend to crack the WW and turn it yellow

C26Pinelake 03-28-2016 03:19 PM

sprayed mine with Windex and let it sit a half hour and came off nicely with a stiff brush. Wayne

Dollar Bill 03-28-2016 07:33 PM

It's water soluble. Use plain water and a tire brush. Be sure to get it good and wet and then get after it with a brush keeping it wet until the blue is completely gone.

SeaSlugs 03-28-2016 07:40 PM

was gonna say like a stiff brush wesleys and about 5 minutes and its white as can be...

2manycars 03-28-2016 08:19 PM

Hot water works well.

Fhane 03-28-2016 08:38 PM

This is from the Coker Tire website. Check the last paragraph.

If you’ve owned a car with whitewall tires, then you know that the road grime and brake dust can quickly take away the beautiful, bright white finish. We always want our whitewalls to have the cleanest appearance possible, so we have a special blend of whitewall cleaner and tire dressing. It is not advised to use products that contain bleach or other harsh chemicals, as this is not good for the white rubber and can lead to problems down the road. For all of our whitewall tires, we use a cleaner called Wide White, and then finish off the sidewall with Big Classic tire dressing. We offer a Cleaner and Dressing Package deal, which also includes Whitewall Wipes as an added bonus! These products are citrus-based, so it’s safe for white and black rubber, and it smells good, too!

Frequent cleaning of whitewalls is advised, because staining can occur if the whitewalls are left untreated for long periods of time. As a last resort, you can use an SOS pad (steel wool) to scrub the whitewall.

29Cabriolet 03-29-2016 09:19 AM

I purchased a set of 4 GY whites just last summer. Mounted them and kept one of the old tires mounted for the spare. I was out driving one day when a gentleman following stopped me to advise the left rear tire was wobbling. At home later I confirmed the wheel was to blame for the wobble. So I bought another tire, mounted it on the spare wheel (which ran straight) and left the wobbly wheel as the spare. Aside from the wobble, a couple of strange things here:

1. First time out this spring I noticed three of the tires on the car and the spare had yellowed slightly over the winter while the 5th was still bright white.

2. When I was unpacking the original 4 tires one of them had a label, presumably from the warehouse, that said "Last Tire".

Obviously the 5th tire was not from the same manufacturing lot. I wonder what changed at GY? I'm afraid I bought the first 4 just a little bit to early!:(

jm29henry 03-29-2016 11:39 AM

Wesley bleach tend to make your white walls yellow Snyder catalog tells you not to you any bleach it will not warranty them there was a post on what to use some won suggested a product called Spray 9 it works well , as well as Simple green !

C26Pinelake 03-29-2016 12:01 PM

Take it to the GoodYear dealer if all the aforementioned does not work! Wayne

Dollar Bill 03-29-2016 12:43 PM

Here's another tip for maintaining whitewall tires that turn yellow or if your regular tire cleaner isn't providing the desired results.

Paint a thin coat of straight Murphy's Oil Soap on your whitewalls.
Let set about 20 minutes.
Scrub lightly with a soft brush and clear water.

Charlie Stephens 03-29-2016 12:46 PM

Call the place you bought them and tell them unless they tell you how to get the blue off you are going to return them.

Charlie Stephens

C26Pinelake 03-29-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1267153)
Call the place you bought them and tell them unless they tell you how to get the blue off you are going to return them.

Charlie Stephens

I have GoodYears on at least a dozen old cases and every new tire comes with a sticky on it telling you how to clean and not to store the whitewall next to a blackwall. Wayne