The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   starting problems (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269434)

jstrez5 09-13-2019 10:02 PM

starting problems

39 flathead wont start the motor turns over but wont start i am not getting any spark to my plug wires where would be the first place to start looking the motor just quit a few back firings also i am getting gas to the carb any help would be appreciated thanks jim

cajunfirehawk 09-14-2019 01:05 AM

Re: starting problems

a) have a firewall resistor, if so ck that
b) bad coil, ck that
c) wiring to one of the above, ck that
d) dizzy issues, ck that

Has to be one of those for no spark, IMHO

chap52 09-14-2019 06:24 AM

If you have looked down the carb and pumped the throttle and saw gas spraying your good there.
Now You say that there is no spark at the plugs. Start backtracking from there. Remove the center coil wire from the coil a bit, is there spark there? If so it's in the distributor. Keep backtracking until you locate the last "hot" spot that has juice. Don't start ordering parts because "it may be" this or that. Unless you want to be like the rest of us and have a tote full of extra parts.
Keep us posted, and "Enjoy the adventure"... Chap

G.M. 09-14-2019 11:42 AM

Send your coil and a few condensers to Skip Haney. He will rebuild
your coil and hot test the condensers. [email protected] G.M.

jstrez5 09-15-2019 04:53 PM

Had a spare resistor so I replaced that. Spent a little more time with the spark plugs and I am getting a spark, but it is very inconsistent. After a couple tries at starting the engine sounds like it is about to start, but never fires up. Anyone else have any ideas?

JSeery 09-15-2019 05:43 PM

You can try bypassing the resistor and see how it works. Take the wire that comes from the ignition switch and move it from the ignition side of the resistor to the coil side of the resistor (connected on on top the coil wire already there). You can run it for a short period of time to test it.

jstrez5 09-16-2019 09:46 PM

The problem was a bad condenser thanks guys for all your help till next time ? Jim s.

Gumpy 09-17-2019 06:38 PM

Its always a good idea to replace the points also..

tubman 09-17-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumpy (Post 1800182)
Its always a good idea to replace the points also..

He's right of course. In the course of going bad, the condenser usually loses capacitance, which leads to material transfer between the points. If you find you have a bad condenser, at least check the points and dress them with a points file if there is any deposition.

Blastfromthepast 09-17-2019 07:16 PM

I agree with that. I had a similar problem and the points were dirty and the point gap was way off. I cleaned the points, adjusted them correctly and there was spark. Check your point gap.

jstrez5 09-21-2019 08:15 PM

i check the points and they are clean and set right thanks again. jim s.