The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering Wobble (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271877)

rfitzpatrick 10-29-2019 07:26 PM

Steering Wobble

New Spindles, Shocks, Tires (balanced), F-150 Steering, Brakes -- and it just started with this wobble -- so what did I forget, and yes, I rechecked my front wheel bearing - again.
What am I over-looking PLZ -- what a disappointment this is. It's a '31 PicUp
Tires about 12 months, rest of work last 4 months

Thanks Guys

dbaldwi3 10-29-2019 07:36 PM

Re: Steering Wobble

Did you look at front radius ball? I was told this can cause wobble.

wmws 10-29-2019 08:07 PM

Did you check your toe in and caster. Toe in should be about 1/16 inch and caster I believe about 5 degrees.

Patrick L. 10-29-2019 08:10 PM

There is something loose. It can be anything between the wheel bearings back thru to the steering box adjustment. Also the toe-in should be 1/16".

rfitzpatrick 10-30-2019 08:43 AM

OK, took the nose tires off and compared them -- drivers has a very slight wear on the out-most tread --would this be "toe-in"? Also I said spindles what I meant was King-Pins. Does this change your opnion? I do have Club-Support, but sometimes I'd like to figure things out myself?
Thanks Guys

Tacoma Bob 10-30-2019 09:36 AM

Long story short. In my case after screwing with everything imaginable check your spring perch nuts. It was a last resort for me. Drivers side took two full turns and pass. side 3/4 of a turn. Problem solved. Patrick L. nailed it.

katy 10-30-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1815634)
There is something loose. It can be anything between the wheel bearings back thru to the steering box adjustment. Also the toe-in should be 1/16".

Ditto

Patrick L. 10-30-2019 02:58 PM

Kinda thought you meant king pins.

The tire wear can be camber [ excessive camber is normal for old cars] or improper toe setting. Old cars tend to have a lot of caster too, but, thats not your problem.

Look for something loose first, there is a lot to look at.

1931 flamingo 10-30-2019 03:29 PM

What kind/brand/size tires?? Air pressure?? Tie rod ends good?? Steering box tight to the frame?? Pitman arm tight to the steering box?? Balls on the spindles round?? Toe in??
Paul in CT

Werner 10-30-2019 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fitzpatrick, my roadster also had this problem.

It gots better when I increased the tire pressure to >2.6 bar. But that was not good enough.
I've found the real problem: The pan that is sitting on the center ball cup for the front axle triangle (under the car approximately in the middle, don't know the exakt name; see picture) had too much play.

dbaldwi3 10-30-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1815911)

It gots better when I increased the tire pressure to >2.6 bar. But that was not good enough.
I've found the real problem: The pan that is sitting on the center ball cup for the front axle triangle (under the car approximately in the middle, don't know the exakt name; see picture) had too much play.

Radius ball

Werner 10-30-2019 05:44 PM

Thanks for this language hint!

rfitzpatrick 10-30-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1815911)

I have hip-arthritis -- getting under the PicUp requires two days out from under the Piczup to recover--right now, am checking the spring pearches per a previous post. Found nothing Passengners side today -- Thanks

rfitzpatrick 11-07-2019 05:05 PM

Steering Wobble Update: After contacting Mel Gross about my steering box -- he e-mailed me the adjustment instructions. Our club mechanic and I were able to correct my problem in about ten minutes, fifteen if you include clean-up time. Also didn't realize how loose my steering had become -- there's a lot of confidence driving my PicUp when my steering and brakes are in top shape

Tacoma Bob 11-07-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 1818859)
Steering Wobble Update: After contacting Mel Gross about my steering box -- he e-mailed me the adjustment instructions. Our club mechanic and I were able to correct my problem in about ten minutes, fifteen if you include clean-up time. Also didn't realize how loose my steering had become -- there's a lot of confidence driving my PicUp when my steering and brakes are in top shape

HOOORAY!. Randy is a saint. My issues drove me crazy and after going through 95% of everything known to man.................Spring perch nuts. Glad you got it sorted out!!

History 11-08-2019 07:51 AM

Here's something that would help IF you had the car/truck on jack stands.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVVcIj879Y

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 1815945)
I have hip-arthritis -- getting under the PicUp requires two days out from under the Piczup to recover--right now, am checking the spring pearches per a previous post. Found nothing Passengners side today -- Thanks