The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Ride (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204334)

jagnweiner 09-10-2016 04:54 PM

New Ride

1 Attachment(s)
I joined the forum a few days ago and received a warm welcome, as well as overwhelming encouragement to go through with a purchase of a 1947 Merc. Not being one to disobey, I went ahead and pulled the trigger after a test drive today. Test drive went pretty well, although there is a LOT of play in the steering. I'm open to suggestions, but can start a new thread.

Here's one photo. I'll attach a few more when I get home.

petehoovie 09-10-2016 05:06 PM

Re: New Ride

NICE CAR!!! Good for you! "A lot of play in the steering" - as compared to what? It ain't a Porsche. Did it shimmy at all?

jagnweiner 09-10-2016 05:13 PM

Thanks. By play I mean I could move the wheel at least 10 degrees either way without any response. It didn't shimmy that I noticed. I'm guessing something very worn in the steering gear.

Capt Kirk 09-10-2016 05:27 PM

BEAUTIFUL CAR!!! Well done! First thing to do is get a helper to rock the steering wheel back and forth while you're under the front looking for any looseness in the tie-rod ends...etc. If there is, replace those parts. If it's in the steering box...I'm not sure but I think there's a certain amount of adjustment in the box. Mine has some slop in the box too...I'll get to that issue when it comes up on the priority list.

jagnweiner 09-10-2016 05:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. That sounds like a good plan. I don't take delivery for a week or two and the seller is also going to look into it in the meantime.

Heard 09-10-2016 07:28 PM

Now that is a good looking car!!

APDAVE 09-10-2016 08:48 PM

Nice car!!

Ford Freak 09-10-2016 10:18 PM

Love your "new" '47 Merc !!

Willit Stop 09-10-2016 10:45 PM

Remember....it's 69 years old.

Old Henry 09-11-2016 12:23 AM

In my state the safety inspection standard for play in a non-power steering wheel is three inches. That's 19° on an 18" steering wheel. So, if your wheel is only 10°, that's only 1.5 inches, you're doing great. That may seem like quite a bit but it's OK, especially for these old cars.

If you want to try to adjust the steering box to reduce the play here are the instructions for doing that:

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...psf53punro.jpg

It works up to a point that everything inside is too worn out to adjust any more. Then you have to rebuild the box to take any more out. It sure worked with mine . . . for a while.

dwick01 09-11-2016 06:43 AM

Very nice car!

flathead48 09-11-2016 06:49 AM

Congrats, very nice purchase, happy motoring

47Sooner 09-11-2016 06:58 AM

congrats !!

jagnweiner 09-11-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Henry (Post 1352620)
In my state the safety inspection standard for play in a non-power steering wheel is three inches. That's 19° on an 18" steering wheel. So, if your wheel is only 10°, that's only 1.5 inches, you're doing great. That may seem like quite a bit but it's OK, especially for these old cars.

If you want to try to adjust the steering box to reduce the play here are the instructions for doing that:

It works up to a point that everything inside is too worn out to adjust any more. Then you have to rebuild the box to take any more out. It sure worked with mine . . . for a while.

Thanks for posting those instructions. That's perfect. I'll have a better idea of what the situation is once I take delivery. As mentioned, seller was going to look into it in the interim, so he may resolve it. I will also inspect for worn bushings, etc.

The 10 degree figure was just a guess; bottom line, I've driven a lot of cars with a lot of play in the steering and this was the most I've seen. To the point where I really couldn't enjoy driving it. Although it is 69 years old, I have a 91 year old Dodge Brothers with much tighter steering.

Thanks again for all the help. Glad I found this forum.

TomT/Williamsburg 09-11-2016 07:20 AM

Great looking car - congrats and welcome. Your steering has been well covered all ready - this is a great forum and the advise here is spot on. Just start with the simplest and work your way to the most difficult in troubleshooting .... btw, did you check the fluid in the box? Me personally, I use STP but I tend to lean a bit to the not-so-stock side of the house.....

Now, go enjoy your new ride, please .....
:)

jagnweiner 09-11-2016 07:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Almost forgot, here's a few more photos.

5851a 09-11-2016 07:49 AM

Very nice looking car, they won't turn you away at the country club with that.

Ol' Ron 09-11-2016 07:57 AM

Yes, That's a real beauty, If the play in the steering is the only thing wrong with this car, your golden.

jimTN 09-11-2016 08:33 AM

You have the top of the line!

Seth Swoboda 09-11-2016 10:10 AM

Great looking car. You might think about joining your nearest Early Ford V8 Club Regional group. There will be plenty of guys there willing to assist you with any help you may need in the future. For now enjoy driving that Merc in the nice fall weather. You will have lots of fun.