The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Analyze this . . . (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272103)

DannL 11-03-2019 03:36 PM

Analyze this . . .

4 Attachment(s)
Cleaned these 30.6 miles ago. In order from cylinder 1 through 4. #1 was a little wet where I touched the edge with my finger. Thanks in advance.

F.M. 11-03-2019 03:45 PM

Re: Analyze this . . .

Running Rich...

30 Closed Cab PU 11-03-2019 04:55 PM

Was this mostly around town driving? Could try a hotter plug. Had similar issue switch from 3076 to Champion W18s, helped quite a bit. Mine were not wet though

Werner 11-03-2019 05:48 PM

Hallo Dann,
the plugs image is not perfect but not bad. The rear two plugs are also less sooty at my engine than the two from the front. They work there with hotter conditions.
In order to judge the plugs images correctly, you should travel 20 miles quickly, turn off the engine without running idle. Then you can rate the plugs face correctly.

Modern spark plugs are heat tolerant, because they have a "spread" (= multi-range) heat value.

DannL 11-03-2019 05:58 PM

Thanks yall! 14 miles was at 35-40 mph (max that sounds comfortable). The rest was local in-town 30-35. I did shut her down directly after the 14 mile hike. Then pulled the plugs specifically to verify where I was with the GAV. It was only about 1/5 open for this test. Plugs are Champion W16Y.

F.M. 11-03-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannL (Post 1817331)
Thanks yall! 14 miles was at 35-40 mph (max that sounds comfortable). The rest was local in-town 30-35. I did shut her down directly after the 14 mile hike. Then pulled the plugs specifically to verify where I was with the GAV. It was only about 1/5 open for this test. Plugs are Champion W16Y.

Put in a set of 3X or W18 and try again, they are hotter..

eagle 11-03-2019 06:16 PM

You should be able to get a lean run with the GAV. Then open it up JUST enough to smooth out. Usually I close mine a bit more while cruising. If you can't get a lean run then you need to check into the carb cleanliness, jetting, etc. Also, pull the spark lever down until it pings, then retard it just enough to eliminate the ping.

WHN 11-03-2019 06:41 PM

What setting is your spark plug gap, 35?

They do look like your running mixture is to rich. How did the engine perform on your 14 mile run?

Does your engine feel like it is loading up when you accelerate? Are you using MMO in your gas?

DannL 11-03-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.M. (Post 1817333)
Put in a set of 3X or W18 and try again, they are hotter..

http://pvmafc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1817348)
What setting is your spark plug gap, 35?

They do look like your running mixture is to rich. How did the engine perform on your 14 mile run?
Does your engine feel like it is loading up when you accelerate? Are you using MMO in your gas?

Runs well in my opinion. Steady. Reached 40mph for the first time on the flat during that run. That was after 3 months of "fine tuning", and replacing every part under the sun.

.035 on the gap.

Loading up? Not sure about the meaning there. MMO? Is that a particular tasty batch of Moonshine?

alexiskai 11-03-2019 08:50 PM

MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil

WHN 11-04-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannL (Post 1817398)

Runs well in my opinion. Steady. Reached 40mph for the first time on the flat during that run. That was after 3 months of "fine tuning", and replacing every part under the sun.

.035 on the gap.

Loading up? Not sure about the meaning there. MMO? Is that a particular tasty batch of Moonshine?

Loading up. I was asking if the car seemed to hesitate (not firing on all cylinders) as you accelerate.

If you think it is performing well. Than I would try a hotter spark plug first.

Years ago I bought a set of plugs that I didn’t know were wrong. They looked right, fit right. After running them for a few miles they looked like yours, I needed to clean them every 30 miles or so. I don’t believe that the plugs could have been the problem. They were after all new. Changed plugs, everything is fine.

DannL 11-04-2019 12:49 PM

I've ordered some "other" plugs. We'll see how they perform before I reveal what they are. A fool and his money are soon parted. :-)

Humperhill 11-04-2019 04:43 PM

In my opinion, if its running well maybe leave well enough alone. That last plugs look like you could end up too lean in a heart beat if you start leaning out the fuel/air mixture. However my experience with these motors specifically is very limited.

Big hammer 11-05-2019 09:13 AM

Looks to me #4 is running leaner, check for intake leak. All of your plugs should look the same!

Werner 11-05-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1817930)
Looks to me #4 is running leaner, check for intake leak. All of your plugs should look the same!

If there is a intake-leak, then must run #3 leaner too.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-05-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannL (Post 1817398)

.035 on the gap.

If running MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) in the gas, sometimes plugs will show additional deposits than if running without it.

It is used to counteract effects of corn (ethanol) gas, provides a little upper end lube, keeps valve from sticking, and helps Carb float needle seating, may be other advantages. Usually added 4 ounces per tankful.
Sometimes added through the intake vacuum port or through the carb air intake to free sticky valves.

DannL 11-10-2019 12:35 PM

Well, to my dismay the Autolite 3076 plugs did not help. They did make the engine sound like it was firing more assertively during idle but . . . on the road any time you would give it gas the plugs we're randomly misfiring. Went back to the Champion W16Y plugs and all is normal. Ordered some W18's and will see if that makes a difference.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-10-2019 01:06 PM

The W16s and 3076 are almost equivalent range plugs for RPMs on an A. The W16 are kinda a dual range plug, they are colder at below 2000 rpm, but hotter above 2000 RPMs for more modern motors.

If you do not read how W16 plugs are designed, the W16 plugs appear to be hotter than a W18, but in an A the W18s are actually hotter than the W16.

F.M. 11-10-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannL (Post 1819866)
Well, to my dismay the Autolite 3076 plugs did not help. They did make the engine sound like it was firing more assertively during idle but . . . on the road any time you would give it gas the plugs we're randomly misfiring. Went back to the Champion W16Y plugs and all is normal. Ordered some W18's and will see if that makes a difference.

Re-read posts #3 & #6

DannL 11-10-2019 02:56 PM

I had found a plug cross reference that put the 3076 up there with the W18. I guess we'll find out soon enough.