The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   30 tudor front seat question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234782)

Tacoma Bob 12-06-2017 11:10 AM

30 tudor front seat question

OK I decided to re-upholster our Tudor. The old interior appeared to be a cut and sew and in it's day was a very very good job. I don't think it was original. In any event ....The front seats had the valence ( some call it a flap) that goes from the backrest to the seat cushion. My question is this. How was the valance attached to the backrest? What I took out was so tattered the a PO had used common fancy upholstery tacks. I checked the JS and the web with no luck. Thanks guys! TB:confused:

jw hash 12-06-2017 07:11 PM

Re: 30 tudor front seat question

BOB

yes that is how in was assembled, the early Victoria`s did the same and they called it a flap back.

glenn in camino 12-06-2017 08:37 PM

On my 28 tudor the flap is tacked to a wood strip in the backrest.

Tacoma Bob 12-06-2017 10:43 PM

Thanks John and Glen. I did in fact replace the wooden tack strips as they were shot. I opted for what is known as a gimp tack. It looks very factory so I'm pleased.

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-07-2017 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob (Post 1562144)
Thanks John and Glen. I did in fact replace the wooden tack strips as they were shot. I opted for what is known as a gimp tack. It looks very factory so I'm pleased.

Bob,
I'm a "GIMP", but what in the world is a GIMP TACK?:confused: "Maybe" I need some???:D
Bill W.

john charlton 12-07-2017 04:12 AM

My RHD de luxe pheaton came in from Argentina with VW bug front seats . I know it would be virtually impossible to locate a correct pair . I have a very nice pair of 30/31 tudor front seats with good intact upholstery . My plan would be to use these by fitting pleated leather "slip on " covers . These seats have no flap so Tacoma Bob could you please post some pics on how the attachment goes. I checked my elderly judging standards but the flap is not mentioned at all . It would seem that de luxe vehicles with two front seats had these but standard did not .

John in very windy storm "Caroline" on the way Suffolk County England .

Tacoma Bob 12-07-2017 10:59 AM

Bill and John...Yes pictures are in order. I have no clue on how to post so I will ask my better half to help. Gimp tacks are a rather small round headed tack. Originally gimp tacks were used to secure fancy scroll gimp to furniture. Eventually they were simply glued on. John, in close inspection the flap is sewn in such a way that the top acts somewhat like a moveable hinge. The reason of course is the flap would simply tear off as the seat is tilted forward.

john charlton 12-07-2017 01:49 PM

After 78 1/2 years on the planet I had never ever heard of a "gimp tack" so I assumed it to be a USA term . I googled it and much to my surprise they are alive and well in England too . Here they called "Gimp pins" and the heads come a veriety of colours !!! So could choose a nice match for my de luxe leather seat uoholstery .

John in same place same weather Suffolk County England .