The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: What to do if you could choose all over again? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235428)

bikemaniac 12-14-2017 03:27 PM

OT: What to do if you could choose all over again?

Hi,

A very off topic discussion.

What would you do job-vise if you could choose all over again - or did you choose the right career right from the beginning?

I would change all over again and do something with wood - however I cannot specifically give an exact job description at the moment. There is just something "magical" about building and constructing with wood.

Lucas

Jw 12-14-2017 03:49 PM

Re: OT: What to do if you could choose all over again?

I would be a doctor/surgeon, grew up in the sheetmetal business, been at my current job 40 years, not being funny, but being a doctor, you cant get "parts" OEM, NOS, REPOP, not really true, my brother, Dad, sister, have had knee replacements.

I would have gone to third world countries and try to improve the lives of children birth "malformations" free, or disadvantaged kids in the USA.
Got my first 28 Tudor in 1968 when I was 15 years old, still have it as well as a 29 Tudor, 30 coupe, 29CCPU, 34 Tudor, building cars is easy, but I should of been a doctor.

SeaSlugs 12-14-2017 03:49 PM

Ahh the age old question - I honestly wouldn't know. I've always heard dont turn your hobbies into a carrer or you will end up hating it. If i could do it all over i would probably find real world jobs that sound interesting and see what requirements it would take to achieve that job. So many of us are rather blah about their job and just in it for the money or health insurance.

I always thought it would be neat to be part of an R&D team and build prototypes. I kinda do it now but not my main job. I think i chose a carrer/degree to get me there just haven't found the right job. I did industrial electrical and mechanical maintenance for 5+ years and those silver lining days when something broke and you got to freely fix it by modifying a sensor or flat out finding one and making a bracket for it were the best. Team i worked with was great - office monkeys and cooporate was awful and idiotic. We weren't even part of the totem pole - just the dirt clods around it holding it up yet they failed to see that haha.

Honestly i wish a was a multimillionaire to where i could just get a fun part time job as something to do but mostly travel. I was laid off out of work for almost 4 months - at first it was great, sleep in, work on the AA, kinda do what i want when i want. Then i got bored and anxious wanting to work and have purpose. Theres only so many job listings you can comb through in a day and so many applications to fill out before you just get frustrated. Long gone are the days of a paper resume and going business to business looking.

Ive learned its all about the company atmosphere and non monetary benefits (insurance, vacation time/policy, sick days, etc) than pay. Sure you can work somewhere for $XXX,XXX but whats the point if they require 100 hr work weeks?

Altho i know alot of you can relate - what futuristic technology will spring up that will change the world works? What jobs will fade what new ones will pop up? Only 30 years ago noone had cell phones or internet... By the way were closer to the year 2040 than we are to 1994...

Interesting story:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-so-...te-their-jobs/

wrndln 12-14-2017 03:50 PM

Is this really string model A related?

Larry Jenkins 12-14-2017 03:56 PM

Being a past woodworker. I found the most rewarding aspect of the hobby, (or business,) was the pleasure derived from designing the piece(s) to be made.

Familiarity with ratios, acceptable sizes and innovative designs is where it is.

Then, as you construct the piece (s) you will really enjoy the fruits of your design prowess.

Finishing the finish is quite rewarding too.

SeaSlugs 12-14-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jw (Post 1566048)
I would be a doctor/surgeon, grew up in the sheetmetal business, been at my current job 40 years, not being funny, but being a doctor, you cant get "parts" OEM, NOS, REPOP, not really true, my brother, Dad, sister, have had knee replacements.

I would have gone to third world countries and try to improve the lives of children birth "malformations" free, or disadvantaged kids in the USA.
Got my first 28 Tudor in 1968 when I was 15 years old, still have it as well as a 29 Tudor, 30 coupe, 29CCPU, 34 Tudor, building cars is easy, but I should of been a doctor.

Thats a whole nother path in life but an interesting one. Technically you can get NOS body parts in a morbid kinda way if you count organ donation, plasma, and blood donations. They have grown OEM parts as well in the labs - or would those be repops? Id consider artificial knees and such as "service" grade replacements like the built up beefier clutch arms on a model A:D stronger than before but not as pretty

Larry Jenkins 12-14-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 1566052)
Is this really string model A related?

Read the OPs fist sentence.

Bob-A 12-14-2017 03:59 PM

I was offered the job of running a million dollar industrial supply company
after I got out of the Army in the early 70's. All I wanted to do was party
and ride my Harley. Which I did for more years than I want to remember.
The company's owner was a family friend and his son did not want the job.
There was more than a hint that I would probably become owner of the business eventually. If only if I could choose all over again..............;)

Bob-A:(

JDupuis 12-14-2017 04:05 PM

Don't think I'd change a thing.
Worked as ski instructor, license bureau, clothing sales, model, counsellor for the handicapped, hospital nursing, ambulance, owned a car dealership, still a firefighter....plus lots more. I'm a legend in my own mind. No regrets. Jeff :)

1928Mik 12-14-2017 04:42 PM

Started with my Dad in retail/wholesale right after college. I'm now the head honcho. I was tough working for my Dad, he was a tyrant. I persevered, enjoy what I'm doing, and still like going to work. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would have ditched the whole idea and gone into something car related. Maybe after I retire!

Jw 12-14-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDupuis (Post 1566066)
Don't think I'd change a thing.
Worked as ski instructor, license bureau, clothing sales, model, counsellor for the handicapped, hospital nursing, ambulance, owned a car dealership, still a firefighter....plus lots more. I'm a legend in my own mind. No regrets. Jeff :)

Ski Instructor eh? Volkl Gotama Rockers, funnest skis ever!!!!!
Union Peak at Copper Mountain and Loveland!!!!!!! a little wobbly on ice, FUN on powder!!!!!!!!!!

aermotor 12-14-2017 05:09 PM

Sat in the drivers seat of a corporate jet for 35 years (it was fun) and realized too late that the guy in the back had all the money.:eek: Should have stayed in school.

John

goodcar 12-14-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jw (Post 1566048)

Although I'm 71 years old, I'm thinking about going to medical school--as a cadaver.

jimalabam 12-14-2017 05:35 PM

I would not change one thing. Life has taught me that mine has been good. At 80 years I
hope to continue...

prpmmp 12-14-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodcar (Post 1566093)
Although I'm 71 years old, I'm thinking about going to medical school--as a cadaver.

Good one!! But there are plenty of 71 year old cadavers!! You should wait and be a 150 year old cadaver:eek::eek:(there is very little competition) Pete

SeaSlugs 12-14-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prpmmp (Post 1566105)
Good one!! But there are plenty of 71 year old cadavers!! You should wait and be a 150 year old cadaver:eek::eek:(there is very little competition) Pete

When does it change from grave robbing to archaeology?...:p

29spcoupe 12-14-2017 06:20 PM

Was a Radiologic Technologist for 45 years. Never had a boring day and would do it all over again. Still working 3 hrs a week. John

Scottio57 12-14-2017 06:31 PM

I would have stayed in two of the jobs I didn’t like but would be drawing two retirements right now. Instead I am now working in a job I love but the pay is pathetic and I will be working till I die. As mentioned before I also was to busy with bikes, bars and babes. Excellent at being short sighted.

Mike Peters 12-14-2017 07:30 PM

Went to college to be a geologist, hated my first geology job, so went farming. That was 45 years ago. Still farming, but have fun looking at rocks, including the ones in my fields.

Synchro909 12-14-2017 08:13 PM

I started studying engineering but during the first year, my parent's marriage exploded. That was the end of that! After some time off, I enrolled in Land Surveying. 4 years at University and another 2 under articles to get my "ticket". That's as long as a doctor but much less rewarding, at least financially. Land Surveying is a fantastic career, especially for a young bloke and I loved every minute of it. Wouldn't change a thing in that regard. Wouldn't change my kids or grandkids either. I'll remain silent on my wife!:D:o