The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tire cover with mirrors (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254995)

Larryejoh 11-19-2018 11:50 AM

Tire cover with mirrors

I'm planning on getting spare tire covers for our roadster. Does anyone have a picture of sidemounts with tire covers and a strap on mirror? The strap will partly cover the Ford logo so I'm thinking of getting covers with no logos.

oldforder 11-19-2018 12:03 PM

Re: Tire cover with mirrors

I have heard that they look nice, but are basically useless as mirrors due to the vibration.

Larryejoh 11-19-2018 03:24 PM

Yes they do vibrate. I already have them on the car. I didn't know how they would look with the Ford logo tire covers.

Dutie 11-19-2018 03:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here ya go Larry.

Larryejoh 11-19-2018 03:55 PM

Thanks. Mine has the leather strap instead of the chain but I guess that will work.

Tom Wesenberg 11-19-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldforder (Post 1697696)
I have heard that they look nice, but are basically useless as mirrors due to the vibration.

Exactly right, plus the distance from the driver's eyes makes the field of view very small.
Consider them useless bling.

1931 flamingo 11-19-2018 06:11 PM

I have the mirror on my left sidemount, can't see ANYTHING ! ! FWIW
Paul in CT

Dave in MN 11-21-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1697793)
Exactly right, plus the distance from the driver's eyes makes the field of view very small.
Consider them useless bling.

Tom, You have a good point about the small field of view but they do help. I have one on the driver's side and use it to check the blind spot when the top is up. Yes, there is a good sized blind spot when the top is up...even more if you travel with the rear and middle side curtains installed as we often do.

I forgot to put it back on, after rotating tires, before leaving on our east coast road trip last fall. I had a few close calls that would have likely been avoided had I had the mirror installed. Maybe it's that I have become used to having it available that makes it necessary for me.

To help eliminate the vibration and blurred reflection, I fold a small cloth shop towel to the size of the base on the mirror and then place the towel between the tire and the mirror base. Tightening the leather strap with the towel between eliminates most of the vibration. Without the towel: Yes, it vibrates to the point of not being very useful.
Good Day!

daveymc29 11-21-2018 10:30 AM

I don't use fender mirrors presently. Found them blurry at best. Might try it with the towel. I use mirrors on the side windwings. I attached convex mirror over the flat glass, helps me a lot. Also the door window on my coupe without wind wind wings is convex. Might give it a go if not a show car.

Dutie 11-21-2018 04:50 PM

Tom and Flamingo are right on, useless. These cars are a lot of shake rattle and roll. The only mirror of any use are on the stanchions. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TOO ALL. Dutie