The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Engine Paint-1953 Merc (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270106)

GOSFAST 09-28-2019 05:49 AM

Engine Paint-1953 Merc

Does anyone up here know if the "Detroit-Diesel" Alpine-Green paint is close to the original Merc color? I don't need it to be a perfect match, just close!

I called Hirsch first, they want 50.00 for 2 spray cans, shipped, tells me it is the correct OEM color though!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If this works I can get 6 cans (a case) of the Alpine shipped for under 50.00!

WABOOM 09-28-2019 06:20 AM

Re: Engine Paint-1953 Merc

It is close. It's a little bit lighter, and appears more glossy when dry. If both are not next to each other, you'd never know.

mfirth 09-28-2019 06:31 AM

I have used Hirsch paint [quart] & brushed it on. No brush marks, correct sheen and very durable. mike

tjw 09-28-2019 07:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Painted with the Detroit Green paint

Merc Cruzer 09-28-2019 08:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOSFAST (Post 1803915)
Does anyone up here know if the "Detroit-Diesel" Alpine-Green paint is close to the original Merc color? I don't need it to be a perfect match, just close!

I called Hirsch first, they want 50.00 for 2 spray cans, shipped, tells me it is the correct OEM color though!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If this works I can get 6 cans (a case) of the Alpine shipped for under 50.00!

The problem is that computer monitors don't show the actual color. I have included a picture of the thermostat housing with the original color on one half (left) and Detroit Diesel Alpine Green on the other half (right), to give to a better idea of the color match. With two 53' Mercs sitting side by side, you can't tell the difference in color.

I painted my engine with it 5 years ago and it has held up beautifully. I bought mine at the local auto parts store: NAPA Auto Parts, they carry it in the store.

GOSFAST 09-28-2019 09:54 AM

Appreciate all the replies, especially the pictures!

We decided to order the 6/case and finish up. The color is close enough for our purpose here.

If this were a 100% correct restoration my friend who owns a resto shop would "read" the original paint (he uses some sort of light meter) and mix us the 100% correct color. Unnecessary on what I need for now over here.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The idea to show a comparison between the colors on a "monitor" is a real good one for sure. Sort of "fail-safe" so to speak! I'm also sure the "real" OEM color after 65+ years in service has probably faded just a bit??

Merc Cruzer 09-28-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOSFAST (Post 1804004)
Appreciate all the replies, especially the pictures!

We decided to order the 6/case and finish up. The color is close enough for our purpose here.

If this were a 100% correct restoration my friend who owns a resto shop would "read" the original paint (he uses some sort of light meter) and mix us the 100% correct color. Unnecessary on what I need for now over here.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The idea to show a comparison between the colors on a "monitor" is a real good one for sure. Sort of "fail-safe" so to speak! I'm also sure the "real" OEM color after 65+ years in service has probably faded just a bit??

Engine heat will also change the color slightly.

GOSFAST 10-01-2019 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I brought this back to show the "Alpine-Green" paint color.

Ended up buying the case/6 for under 50.00 shipped. Certainly beats the 20.00/can price (+ shipping) we were quoted!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Figured I put a shot here of the right and left OEM Merc water pumps just painted, this is all we were aiming to do, looks excellent as far as me and my customer are concerned?

rotorwrench 10-01-2019 12:30 PM

The Hirsch stuff I used some years ago was exact for my 51 but I didn't use the rattle can stuff. I have since used the Duplicolor stuff on several occasions and am not impressed with the quality. The color is just slightly more blue than the OEM was is 51. The OEM has a touch more yellow for a better cast of light green. The color difference is miniscule I know but I'm just picky. I don't like rattle can paint for engines. It just never seems to hold up as well as the good old enamel in a regular can that can be reduced further if needed.

JSeery 10-02-2019 09:35 AM

I really like the way Hirsch brush on paints flow out.

Red98 10-03-2019 04:36 AM

Local NAPA will mix any color, factory chip or custom color for $28 into a rattle can. Takes about hour and requires a special machine and clerk attendance at 2-day t training camp stores can comply.so not all stores will have it.