The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Model T Is For TANK (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10675)

Ryan 08-13-2010 09:51 AM

Model T Is For TANK

https://www.fordbarn.com/wp-content/u...tankleader.jpg

Here's one that popped up on the H.A.M.B. It's a model-T with tracks. The photo didn't come with an explanation at all, but one can gather some assumptions. In the backgrou... To read the rest of this blog entry from The Ford Barn, click here.

hotcoupe 08-13-2010 10:42 AM

Re: Model T Is For TANK

i think they are all standing around wondering how in the hell do you steer this thing?

Jack Innes 08-13-2010 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This looks like the grandfather of the Ford Universal carrier used in WWII.

They were based on a flathead 8 coupled to a truck transmission & rear end. They also had a steering wheel that warped the tracks a bit for high speed steering, then on further turning of the wheel the brake on that side was applied. There was a later US design that had tiller steering & the rear axle had steering clutches & brakes.

I have had quite a few of these & they are even more fun to drive than you could imagine. Deep mud or snow is not their strong point!! A hot rod driver, turning too fast crossways on a hill, will learn how to put the tracks back on as well as to take it a little easier. There is very little that will engrain itself in your mind greater than the sound of a track coming off anything!!!

WWII Ford Universal Carrier

fordy_nine 08-13-2010 12:01 PM

Does that front license plate say "ORD DEPT" (Ordinance Dept,) ? Maybe they were pitching its use as a replacement for horses, as in towing a wagon of ammo or a small cannon...Bob L

Model T Monte 08-13-2010 12:04 PM

Jack, I know a little about putting tracks back on. It never happens where you have a good place to re-install, but a little like putting on a bicycle chain?!?! Monte

T-Time 08-13-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordy_nine (Post 61151)
Does that front license plate say "ORD DEPT" (Ordinance Dept,) ?

Yes, it does. In fact, it says:

U.S. ARMY
ORD DEPT

And, there is writing pressed into the plate above that, but I can't make it out.

Rich in Tucson 08-13-2010 12:51 PM

There is a great documentary that has been on TV several times recently that had a lot of information on the use of Model Ts in France during WWI.

My favorite bit showed dough boys draining hot water directly out of the radiator to make warm beverages, any of you all still do that?

therupperts 08-13-2010 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In 1921 the Ford Model T was tested with the Chase Track System. Top speed of the vehicle was 25 to 30mph depending on conditions. The Chase Track was made of canvas and cleats.

I searched for Model T with tracks - this looks like the same car as the photo submitted is adjacent to this one.

therupperts 08-13-2010 01:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
found under g__gle images (Model T with tracks) then click on web link.
Enjoy!

Capn John 08-13-2010 04:09 PM

The bridge in the background is the Francis Scott Key bridge linking Georgetown, DC and Roslyn, Arlington, VA. Built between 1917 and 1923.

Dean Borchert 08-13-2010 04:58 PM

Unless I am blind, the gent 4 from left, hat/coat and all is Black Jack Pershing. The 3rd guy in the black coat looks like a young Henry Ford.

It probably steers like that snowmobile with the two worm-drive tracks did, declutch/braking one side or the other.

Roadster62 08-13-2010 08:59 PM

Thanks Ryan, every Hot Rodder wants a T track roadster.:)

Roach In Tacoma 08-17-2010 11:22 PM

I would say an early command car....Roach.

Tman 08-21-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Borchert (Post 61309)
Unless I am blind, the gent 4 from left, hat/coat and all is Black Jack Pershing. The 3rd guy in the black coat looks like a young Henry Ford.

It probably steers like that snowmobile with the two worm-drive tracks did, declutch/braking one side or the other.

Thats Pershing allright.

Special Coupe Frank 08-23-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Borchert (Post 61309)
Unless I am blind, the gent 4 from left, hat/coat and all is Black Jack Pershing. The 3rd guy in the black coat looks like a young Henry Ford...

Agree about Pershing; also Ford, but Henry was not so young... if this photo was taken in the late Teens / early Twenties, "Old" Henry was closing in on 60.

Capn John 08-24-2010 02:48 AM

And Pershing was born in 1860, making him 60ish.

treb11 09-02-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in Tucson (Post 61180)
My favorite bit showed dough boys draining hot water directly out of the radiator to make warm beverages, any of you all still do that?

nah, C4 burns hot

[email protected] 09-02-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treb11 (Post 72205)
nah, C4 burns hot

Wow, cooking C-rats over C-4. That really brings back some memories. You think there was ever any truth to the story that someone tried to stomp the fire out and lost his leg? I used to just let mine burn out under my homemade stove cut from a pound cake C-rat can. I loved my C-4. It always gave me something to play with and made me comfortable during the rainy season. Det Chord was fun too. Great article Ryan.

22dodge 09-04-2010 06:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another photo of the Ford T based version, and a very
similar Dodge (I believe) version.