The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Air shocks ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267773)

big job 08-12-2019 07:05 AM

Air shocks ?

I have been on the search for brackets etc. for rear air shocks from all the
usual vendors with no luck. And yes I know its a band aid but I don't have
the time plus the shop is plugged up with customer repairs. My car a 46
looks like its got 10 100 lb bags of cement. I can put three fingers between
the front fender and the tire and my rear is three fingers sagged. Not only
don't look good but being a tail dragger it effects front end caster too. So I
guess I'll have to fab up some kind of mounts. Has anyone done this? And
then Speedway has the proper spring kit but almost $1000 plus shipping for
1942 - 1948. Maybe a air bag between the rear end and the spring that
won't bother the axle myth back in the day we jacked 1,000s of these on
the center banjo with no harm done.... ideas?

TJ 08-12-2019 08:18 AM

Re: Air shocks ?

Pull the rear spring and go to a good spring shop. They can re-arch the rear spring for you. The other option is to look for a NOS rear spring.

A bones 08-12-2019 09:44 AM

I can say you must satisfy your need. One of my vehicles has air shocks. Just want to point out that while you can control ride height, you cannot ride comfort. Down is soft, up is hard.

Sorry I can't answer your question. Good Luck.

1931 flamingo 08-12-2019 03:35 PM

Do you have tube shocks on the rear now??
Paul in CT

JSeery 08-12-2019 04:43 PM

I have run air shocks on cars I towed boats with. Worked ok, at the time there were not that expensive and easy to install. I also ran air bags on a new 67 mustang (to keep the body off of the slicks!). They were easy to install and not expensive.

39portlander 08-12-2019 06:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This might help with some options, it's on my 39 P/U. I'm using NAPA 48785-L air shocks, what worked for me on this vehicle it probably was in an accident @ some point and some farm hand welded in some U channel stock for a rear cross member and mounting these was easy.

Routed the air lines up and over my fuel tank and have a fill schrader out the rear frame, last picture. There was a certain ride height I was trying to obtain based on the still height when parked.

I do have new Posi super slider rear springs and Bob Drake rear sway bar installed, hope this helps you out. Again on my truck this was a good option as the rear frame section from the bed back was modified from anything resembling stock.

39portlander 08-12-2019 06:18 PM

ooop's

40cpe 08-12-2019 06:21 PM

I see you have leafs removed from your rear spring. Was that for comfort or ride height?

39portlander 08-12-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40cpe (Post 1787332)
I see you have leafs removed from your rear spring. Was that for comfort or ride height?

There were 9 on the old spring and 9 on this new spring:confused:

Again, it was and old apple orchard farm truck rescued from VT, who know's what was done to it before I resurrected it. Put another hundred on it over the weekend, she puuurrr's like a kitten that's all that matters.

Ggmac 08-12-2019 07:12 PM

You could add helper springs , they are coil springs about 4-5"" in dia and come in 3 diff load levels , should say over load weights . They have a bracket that mounts it on the axle tube and the top is resting under the frame the bottom mount has a u bolt that mounts to the axle tube .
I have a really old leaf spring helper also but I don't think it's available anymore . It was specifically made for transverse leaf springs and didn't require the spring to be removed .

big job 08-13-2019 05:37 AM

All good ideas, I do not have tube shocks mine are original and work perfectly. TJ's
reply was my first though BUT around here the simple answer to that is 'gone' gone'
we had many truck /bus springs re arched U bolts made while I watched=radiator shops
all gone. Makes ya want to cry. Ggmac's reply I remember those. Again not looking for
load, just want to raise it up so it don't look like a DC 3 parked on the runway lol sam

Ggmac 08-13-2019 07:04 AM

They do lift it . The load was to determine how much lift you need

5851a 08-13-2019 07:53 AM

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ I used springs from here on a Bronco, Mustang and a Pinto Never had any problems. I tried adding air shocks and extra leaves, helper shocks over the years to various cars. By the time it was all done in every case I should have just saved my time and replaced the springs.

Ray Balukas 08-13-2019 06:04 PM

Eaton Detroit springs are very good. replaced the front springs
on my 37 and am very happy with them. fit perfect and brought the front up 2" . talk to Gary at eaton, knows his stuff.

tubman 08-13-2019 09:22 PM

I have also had good luck with Eaton-Detroit. I needed a spring built to fit the rear end of a hot rod I am building. I sent them the specifications and they returned a spring that was exactly right after a couple of weeks. The price was reasonable as well.

JSeery 08-13-2019 09:27 PM

Any local spring shop should be able to build you a spring. Truck spring and axle type shops. I always just go to the shop and have it built, saves a lot of shipping! The last reversed eye main spring I had made ran about $25.

big job 08-14-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1787786)
Any local spring shop should be able to build you a spring. Truck spring and axle type shops. I always just go to the shop and have it built, saves a lot of shipping! The last reversed eye main spring I had made ran about $25.

Don't I wish = spring shops are as rare as radiator shops around here
struts and air bags killed spring shops Aluminum radiators with plastic
tanks killed radiator shops, like button pushers are machinist now.

JSeery 08-14-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big job (Post 1787848)
Don't I wish = spring shops are as rare as radiator shops around here
struts and air bags killed spring shops Aluminum radiators with plastic
tanks killed radiator shops, like button pushers are machinist now.

No idea about your area, but anywhere that works on large truck chassis should be able to fabricate springs. But then again maybe I'm just spoiled! I have been using the same spring and axle shop for almost 55 years, LOL. Man, all the radiator shops around here have disappeared.

TJ 08-14-2019 09:07 AM

Advertise on here and the V-8 Club website for a NOS rear spring. If no luck call Eaton-Detroit spring. They have a good reputation. Personally I would avoid the air shock fix.

Seth Swoboda 08-14-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 1787894)
Advertise on here and the V-8 Club website for a NOS rear spring. If no luck call Eaton-Detroit spring. They have a good reputation. Personally I would avoid the air shock fix.

I agree. The air shock is a band-aide. A nice original or NOS spring should be easily found. Put an ad here on the fordbarn for starters.