The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's the latest you can remember anyone using an A? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259544)

nosoup4u 02-22-2019 09:34 AM

What's the latest you can remember anyone using an A?

For actual transportation and not as a collector car?
In the early 1960s, our rural mail carrier would sometimes deliver mail with one when there was snow on the roads. I was just a little kid so I don't remember what specific year or model it was. Probably had chains on it.

rfitzpatrick 02-22-2019 09:48 AM

Re: What's the latest you can remember anyone using an A?

Picking up sod at HomeDepot --- often

Joe K 02-22-2019 10:05 AM

Around here now not so much.

I do remember my brother's friend in the 1960s.

"Scab" his nick-name. He drove a 1929 Tudor and brought me on a short "drive" as a 10 year old - and where I fell in love.

Scab drove the car daily - seemingly a hand-me-down from his aunt who was elderly and no longer driving.

It was in reasonably good shape. Scab had done some re-work of various components to keep it going.

Joe K

1928Mik 02-22-2019 10:05 AM

There used to be a clock repair business called The Time Shop in Zanesville OH and the guy drove a Yellow '30 coupe with Time Shop logos on it to work every day, even in the winter. He closed in the '90's and I have no idea what happened to the car.

Tom Wesenberg 02-22-2019 10:14 AM

In 1962 my elderly neighbor lady was still driving her Model A coupe to church, and she bought it new.

1965 my 16 year old neighbor drove his Model A daily.

fixitphil 02-22-2019 10:15 AM

12:00pm

ModelAMike1930 02-22-2019 10:21 AM

My friends father drove his daily in the late 40's, it was a green 2 door sedan.

leo 02-22-2019 10:34 AM

Back in the late 1960's there was a ninety plus year old gentleman in my home town who had a 1928 tudor sedan since new, never repainted, faded slate blue color. He drove that car until he passed. I also remember that our post office got mail deliveries with a Model A mail truck.

37 Coupe 02-22-2019 10:53 AM

Buddy of mine drove a '31 Model A coupe that his grandpa bought new or fairly new,this was when we were in high school 1961-1964. His grandpa drove it until he passed mayby late fifties,only car he had all those years. It was originally black but it was just surface rust all over,very solid just no black paint at all at 30 years old,must have set outside a lot. One time we parked downtown and when we got back someone stole the rumble seat cushions,why back then who knows? When I was about 14 years old and before my buddy got to drive it a guy stopped where he lived and offered $500 for it,we couldn't believe it and my dad couldn't either when I told him.Just 4 years later I borrowed $800 to buy a '30 roadster.

Oldbluoval 02-22-2019 11:02 AM

Guy drove one to high school as true transportation thru 1965. 1930 Tudor

Ran well

goodcar 02-22-2019 11:29 AM

We lived on a farm in Nebraska in 1949. My older sister and a few other farm kids were picked up every morning and transported to kindergarten in a Model A. My 1st grade teacher drove a Model A coupe,1952. Our neighbor was an electrician, used a coupe converted to pickup with a ladder rack and side storage boxes. There were several others on the farms and in town who were still driving Model As into the late fifties.

Purdy Swoft 02-22-2019 12:27 PM

The last time that I remember seeing a model A used as an only car was around 1956 . there was a guy that drove a 1930 strip down model A with a home made wooden pickup bed . The guy always let his dog ride in the home made bed . I was only about 10 years old at the time . I was already fascinated with model A's .

37 Coupe 02-22-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1729470)
The last time that I remember seeing a model A used as an only car was around 1956 . there was a guy that drove a 1930 strip down model A with a home made wooden pickup bed . The guy always let his dog ride in the home made bed . I was only about 10 years old at the time . I was already fascinated with model A's .

Me too and we must be about the same age. 10 years old 1956.

juke joint johnny 02-22-2019 01:07 PM

In 1975 I lived in North Palm Beach Florida and was restoring my first Model A a 28 Tudor.

There was an old Black man that had a 29 Tudor in Rivera Beach . He had Pigs in his back yard and drove to every Supermarket in the area every day, getting food from the trash for his pigs. Must have done 30-40 miles every day in it . He had no upholstery on the seats just the springs and wood boxes on the running boards and in front of the rad.

Purdy Swoft 02-22-2019 01:07 PM

In response to post number 13 , I will turn 73 near the end of November . What a drag it is getting old .

Dodge 02-22-2019 01:14 PM

I have lived in our house for 43 yrs. and one of my neighbors used his 1928 Roadster pickup For daily transportation until he passed away about 3 years ago. I miss hearing it go up and down the road every day.
A least one of the members in our club uses his Coupe for every day transportation also.

DD931 02-22-2019 01:24 PM

I drove a '30 Tudor as a daily driver when I was in the Navy stationed in Newport, RI from '64 until '69.

Tudortomnz 02-22-2019 02:23 PM

Dad had two Model A Fordors, as family transport from 1957 up to 1965 ; was replaced by a '55 Studebaker. In 1968 he got a Model A to restore. Cheers. Tom

Keith True 02-22-2019 02:38 PM

I set out to drive mine when I got my license in 1972,but it was just too cold to use.I bought a VW with no heat,much warmer than the A.Town next to me had a lot of mills,and there were a lot of A's driven to work there every day up into the mid 70's.A lot of the workers lived 1-2 miles away,and used the A's that their dads had used to go to the same shops.Those A's were quite a sight.Plywood on the roofs,sometimes no glass except the windshields,the guys that drove them saw no need to tie up a perfectly good family car all day sitting in a parking lot a mile from home.The man that kept them running,who I worked for,called them generational.Some had been bought new by their grandfathers.Some of the pickups were used to go to the dump on Saturday,but most of them hadn't turned a wheel outside of their home-shop route in 25 years,

mrraford 02-22-2019 02:41 PM

Over in Creek County in and around the township of Oilton, the local fixit guy Warren Chambers could be observed driving his '30 coupe with a work rack engineered to the bumper ends well into the late 70s. The name Joad would come to mind.
As a teenager, I recall driving to and from Drumright on highway 99 after dark many times and seeing a dim taillight or headlights ahead as we topped hills. Yep it was Warren going or coming behind the wheel of his A. Later in his life after he had retired, he would only carry his fishing gear in the rack above the car.
He passed on in the ultimate manner. His car was parked at one of his favorite fishing holes.
A rural (urban doesn't apply in this area) legend persists in the area about his hoard of parts gathered from the old oil leases in the area that he was supposed to have stored in an old oil tank.