The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   30 Tudor Windlace question. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273881)

jhowes 12-10-2019 11:26 AM

30 Tudor Windlace question.

I just read a reply to a 29 windlace question but my 30 is different. Is it true that the front piece is attached to the door where the metal slot piece is and the top and rear of the windlace is attached to the body? If so, it must be a nightmare to get it to meet when you close the door. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, Jack

Tacoma Bob 12-10-2019 11:43 AM

Re: 30 Tudor Windlace question.

Actually it was no problem for me. I bought ready made windlace which was a mistake. It was listed as 1/2 inch core. NOT!. I unstitched everything and use 3/8 surgical tubing. Nice and soft and compresses nicely at the corners.

jhowes 12-10-2019 01:49 PM

Bob, Does it go on the door frame in the car top and back or does it all go on the door like the front piece. Jack

CarlG 12-10-2019 02:06 PM

I have a complete windlace kit for my '31 CCPU, in a box that I bought from LB 5 or 6 years ago. It's still in the box only because I have never figured out how it is supposed to be installed. If anyone has pictures of such, I'd really appreciate it.

Tacoma Bob 12-10-2019 04:52 PM

The top sill has to come out. The top windlace glues to the sill. The rear gets stapled to the door pillar top to bottom. The front slips into the channel at the forward edge of the door and as it starts at the inner door panel it gets glued to the metal panel. At the corners you have to cut just a smidge of the core (as I recall). AND to be "correct" you cut the fabric to look like an arrow head. You then take a nail and stuff that into the core for a finished look. Our Tudor is a driver so I simply folded the the ends and called it good. If you like and can post pictures but I may not be able to post until Thursday.

jhowes 12-10-2019 06:12 PM

Pictures would be good. What is the sill? Jack

jhowes 12-10-2019 06:16 PM

Pictures would be helpful. What is the sill? Is it the top piece on the door? Jack

Tacoma Bob 12-10-2019 07:14 PM

The door opening at the top. Should be six ( I think) screws that go up into the wood.

Stew Masche 12-10-2019 10:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm posting some pictures of the windlacing in our '30 Tudor. It was done by an upholstery shop 33 years ago, and I just now realize the front windlacing should be attached to the door, and not to the cowl and cowl post as our is. I'll have to change that next summer.
anyway, you can see how the rest of it looks. Hopefully others will post pictures. The national club magazines also have detailed interior pictures occasionally.

Thanks,

Stew

Stew Masche 12-10-2019 10:19 PM

6 Attachment(s)
AND FOR CARLG

Some shots of the windlacing in our '31 AA truck. The upholstery was done by Bill Sturm in Neenah, Wisconsin many years ago. The truck won a MARC of Excellence award at the 2012 MARC national meet in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

jhowes 12-11-2019 09:04 AM

The pictures are great, I think I have it now. If I were smart enough, I would post pictures of the finished product. Thanks again. Jack

CarlG 12-11-2019 01:38 PM

Thanks Stew, the pictures will help a lot!