The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Header Suggestion (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278677)

51 MERC-CT 03-30-2020 08:24 PM

Re: Header Suggestion

Quote:

Originally Posted by petes 50 merc (Post 1868174)
fenton headers fit on my 50 merc with no problems been on there at least 30 years

Guess you got me beat, my Fentons have been on my '51 Merc. for only 27 years. :)

Pete 03-30-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1868044)
On the Hemi in my race car, I can see the whole bottom of the valve through the ports; try that on a flathead, especially the exhaust.

Sure. I can see the whole bottom of the intake through the port and part of the exhaust. It is not stock though.

tubman 03-30-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1868197)
Sure. I can see the whole bottom of the intake through the port and part of the exhaust. It is not stock though.

Very helpful.

Pete 03-30-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1868203)
Very helpful.

I forgot to say, it is a flathead Ford.

corvette8n 03-30-2020 10:34 PM

When I bought my '41 it already had a set of Red's headers on it, they do throw off some heat, but it's all worth it when you stand behind the car and listen to that unique flathead sound.

flatheadmurre 03-31-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1868206)
I forgot to say, it is a flathead Ford.

Your flathead has probably been put on a diet...loosing some weight with a diegrinder :D

Tinker 03-31-2020 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvette8n (Post 1868216)
When I bought my '41 it already had a set of Red's headers on it, they do throw off some heat, but it's all worth it when you stand behind the car and listen to that unique flathead sound.

Reds have been around for a while. Great exhaust manifold or header also.

mfirth 03-31-2020 07:08 AM

Wanted the cast ones, but were back ordered. Got Reds & am very happy with them.

chap52 03-31-2020 07:12 AM

Ran a set of "Red's" headers on my F!, hooked up to a pair of Heddon turbo mufflers sounded SWEET! Besides, it was cool going to the old school muffler shop and watching the expert create my custom exhaust system the old fashion way.... Chap

RKS.PA 03-31-2020 07:58 AM

Had a set of Fentons on my '39 and the only "fitment" issue I had was with the dip stick, which was an easy modification. Had them on for 22 years until I sold the car. Did have to have the muffler fabricate the rest of the system....was not cheap, even in 1996.

On my '47, I went with Red's because I was worried about the steering box. Talked with them by phone and ordered what they recommended. When they arrived, installed them in about 30 minutes...(I'm not the fastest wrench in the West!!). No modifications on anything needed!! It could not have been easier....no clearance issues. Am delighted with my duals and also got Smithys from Reds. Only thing I would do differently is to have painted them before I installed. Also, was able to get the extensions from the headers to the mufflers. That saved me a lot at the muffler shop who only had to fabricate the tailpipes.

tubman 03-31-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1868197)

That is amazing! Do you have any pictures? I would love to see it.

Pete 03-31-2020 01:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1868308)
That is amazing! Do you have any pictures? I would love to see it.

Here is a pic looking from the top with the block laid over. The fuzzy white bars are the flourescent lights on the ceiling. The port walls are .100 max all the way through. We will scan the port and then CNC the rest of them.

tubman 03-31-2020 01:30 PM

WOW! Those things are HUGE. Just for conversations sake, I have always heard that working on the intake ports on a flathead yields more and better results than working on the exhaust. Do you agree with this?

Pete 03-31-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1868406)
WOW! Those things are HUGE. Just for conversations sake, I have always heard that working on the intake ports on a flathead yields more and better results than working on the exhaust. Do you agree with this?

Not quite. That was thought to be true in the old days but as we developed ways to get the port bigger safely, the gains were evident. We use a larger exhaust valve than intake now.