The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Newbie but am I in the right place (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294749)

UKMercury 02-20-2021 07:55 AM

Newbie but am I in the right place

Hi Guys and Gals,

I’m in the UK and after 16 years of Mopar (48 Plymouth sedan) I’ve put a deposit to down on a 47 Mercury convertible.
Am I in the right place for help - It’s unlikely I’ll get to any meetings :-)

FortyNiner 02-20-2021 08:01 AM

Re: Newbie but am I in the right place

Yes, you are in the proper place. There is a delousing process some may seek for non-Ford ownership, but that's a personal preference.

Tell us about the Merc.

UKMercury 02-20-2021 08:10 AM

I hope to pick it up in April, it’s in Scotland, I’m in England and we’re not allowed to cross borders under Covid restrictions.
It came into the UK in or around 2005, it had a ground up rebuild before it arrived. Sat in a museum and then a private collection. When they came to try and run it the oil had congealed and they promptly blew the engine. It was rebuilt, I am told with a French block and some nice hop ups.
I’ll post some photos soon.

Bored&Stroked 02-20-2021 08:15 AM

Welcome on board . . . sounds like you have a cool car (or will soon have). This is a great site for just about any kind of information related to early Fords - so you've come to the right place. Take some time to introduce yourself and post some pictures of your car when you get it. Take care and enjoy your new ride . . .

Ford Freak 02-20-2021 08:20 AM

You are in the right place . Welcome aboard ! - F F

47Monarch 02-20-2021 08:47 AM

Welcome to the barn

UKMercury 02-20-2021 09:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve attached a couple of images of the engine.
If it is a French engine am I right in assuming it’s 4.2 litre?

corvette8n 02-20-2021 09:00 AM

Welcome to the Barn, congratulations on your purchase.
This book may help https://shop.efv8.org/collections/fo...book-softbound

Post pictures when you get the car.

UKMercury 02-20-2021 09:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Now I know I’m in the right place, a more formal introduction. My name is Garry and I live with my wife in the Midlands in the UK. I’m not retirement age but I’m getting perilously close 😳. I run my own (small) company Moulding polyurethane foam so I tend to be busy and my only real hobby is my car.
The pictures show my 48 Plymouth which I imported from South Africa in 2004.
I do all my own maintenance including an engine rebuild, the only other person whose been allowed to touch my Plymouth is the guy who line bored the king pins
Thank you for your welcome, I look forward to interacting with members although, as a complete Ford virgin, I’ll be asking more than I’ll be telling 😏

Zeke3 02-20-2021 09:26 AM

Welcome to the Barn, looking at that engine, you are definitely in the right place. Your Plymouth is a nice looking car also, do you drive it often?

51504bat 02-20-2021 09:27 AM

Welcome aboard. If your new Ford is as nice as you're Mopar looks you've got a nice ride coming. I'm always amazed by what you guys in the UK (as well as the rest of Europe and really anywhere else non USA) have to go through to get cars and parts. Shipping, duties, fees, etc. make things difficult I'm sure. Looking forward to more photos when you get your new Ford.

KiWinUS 02-20-2021 09:48 AM

Welcome friend. Nice engine. You will get all the help you need here. Enjoy.

19Fordy 02-20-2021 09:54 AM

Welcome Garry.

You have two really nice cars. Enjoy every mile with a smile.

tubman 02-20-2021 09:57 AM

Welcome as well! That Plymouth sure looks nice, but I have feeling that you'll like the Mercury better.

Mart 02-20-2021 10:01 AM

Hello Garry, welcome to the barn. I'm in the midlands too, in Solihull so it will be nice to have someone closer to home on here.

The motor looks pretty dressed up. If you need any advice or help, the barn is a great resource. And like I say, I'm here in Solihull and can offer help and advice if you need it.

Mart.

UKMercury 02-20-2021 10:28 AM

Unfortunately I can’t keep both the Plymouth & the Mercury so it will be a whole new (Ford) world for me. The Plymouth has been a good car and I’ve not been afraid to go anywhere in it - it’s been all over the U.K.
In answer to 51504bat, parts can get a little expensive with shipping and duty but I think it’s worth paying, there is something about American cars you just don’t get with British cars - not just size but the American vehicles were built for a larger market and larger distances - it shows.
I think I will like the Mercury more. Plymouth was the bottom of the Chrysler range followed by Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler at the top. I think the Mercury is a DeSoto equivalent.
Unlikely that I’ll be able to view it until April. I originally said no to the car - the top didn’t work and the car didn’t have a heater. He’s having the top rebuilt (new pump and pistons) and fitting a heater so I don’t think I’ll be coming home without it. Can’t wait!

flatjack9 02-20-2021 10:34 AM

Welcome here. Sounds like you've found yourself a very nice car.

deuce_roadster 02-20-2021 11:54 AM

Welcome, and you are already "attending a meeting"!

Anteek29 02-20-2021 11:57 AM

Oh, you are gonna have a blast! :)

50fordcoupeman 02-20-2021 02:17 PM

Yes welcome! The Ford Barn is a great read with all these experts on here (not me!)