The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Toilet paper oil filter adapter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293198)

Will D 01-18-2021 11:12 PM

Toilet paper oil filter adapter

1 Attachment(s)
After hearing and reading about toilet paper being used as an oil filter I couldn't believe it when I ran into this. Thought it was all talk but apparently this company made an adapter to do so.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1611029339

- do not use toilet paper in your oil filter canister

Blastfromthepast 01-18-2021 11:36 PM

Re: Toilet paper oil filter adapter

I have seen them before but you do run a risk of having the toilet paper
breaking down and entering your engine. It was a thing of the past.
My opinion is leave toilet paper where it belongs, in the toilet.

Flathead Dave 01-18-2021 11:45 PM

My dad used to use tp rolls for oil filters on our flatheads in the 50
s and 60's.
I am using one now in mine.

RalphG 01-19-2021 01:01 AM

I have one that was on a Cockshutt tractor from the 1950s. The "Toirol" filter was it's brand on the side. Normally those tractors took a Fram C4 but this one had been converted to the Toirol. We soon picked up an original style filter case to go back to original equipment. Just didn't have much confidence in the Toirol.

bobH 01-19-2021 01:26 AM

I think Franz (sp?) was a brand name from back in my younger days. Never used one myself, but saw a few on cars that passed through the shop.

tubman 01-19-2021 02:13 AM

"Frantz" was the most popular brand. My dad, who had been a traveling salesman all of his life, selling fuel and supplies for Municipal Generating plants, was a rep for Frantz after he retired. The thing I remember about them is that they came with a sticker, about the size of the old oil change stickers that they used to put on the door jambs, except it was made of blotter paper. You were supposed to take out your dipstick every 100 miles after you installed the filter and touch it to the blotter sticker. After you had done this (I think the sticker had 5 "boxes"), and the oil "dried", you could actually see it get cleaner and cleaner, so that part of it actually worked. We had them on our family cars, my dad's '58 Olds Super 88 and my mother's '58 Nomad. The cars retained their factory full flow filters and we considered this a "belt and suspenders" approach, and still followed the recommended oil and filter change intervals. They really did clean up the oil.

leon bee 01-19-2021 03:43 AM

I always figured that if I had one of those I'd get all stressed worrying what brand of TP to buy for it. Charmin? Dollar General? Best Choice?

fortyfords 01-19-2021 06:43 AM

I used them on a couple of cars, they worked great but as time passed, toilet paper went to single sheet and thus it was a risk using normal toilet paper. Frantz sold the good stuff but it was expensive and just got harder to find a dealer selling the good rolls of paper. So now my two filter assembly's are lying in a shed on a shelf.

Wayne Schuenke 01-19-2021 07:32 AM

My brother inlaw has used a Frantz set up on every car that he has owned in the last 50 years with out any issues

AnthonyG 01-19-2021 09:06 AM

I bought a oil. Canister to add an oil filter to my Flatty on SkeevE-Bay & was really amazed that the guy sent it to me totally filthy but also very heavy! Thinking it still had oil & he was just lazy slob & sent it that way. Open it up & it had a roll of Toilet Paper as a filter, black w filthy oil soaked in it. True story that’s funny to tell now but not then!

McMimmcs 01-19-2021 09:12 AM

In the fifty era the toilet paper filter was not uncommon. My dad owned a garage and tore apart several motors because the toilet paper had disintegrated and went thru the motor and caused significant damage. Often money not spent
Is not money saved!

tubman 01-19-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1975743)
In the fifty era the toilet paper filter was not uncommon. My dad owned a garage and tore apart several motors because the toilet paper had disintegrated and went thru the motor and caused significant damage. Often money not spent
Is not money saved!

The Frantz and other filter assemblies specifically designed to use toilet paper did not have this problem. I occurred when some cheapskate tried to run it in a regular canister system designed to use a cartridge filter.

deuce_roadster 01-19-2021 10:27 AM

I would never use one for oil but I have a Motor Guard filter in my air line coming from my air compressor to my paint gun that you can use cheap toilet paper rolls in. I change it often and also when using the Scat Blast bead blaster.

Karl Wescott 01-19-2021 11:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Another entry into the TP oil filter was a company started by Eli Faurie ("four"), POFCO. He sold a enough of these to begin to equip POFCO as a machine shop, tool and die, and stamping company. As noted by previous posters changes in toilet paper specifications made this concept impractical in the long term.

In the 1970's we developed a relationship with Eli. POFCO made the tooling and stampings for a number of reproduction parts including the 1932-36 roadster door latches.

Eli passed in the 1980's, When POFCO closed a couple of years ago I was able to get this example of their filter for my personal collection.

Will D 01-19-2021 11:22 AM

That's great. Who woulda thought....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...0&d=1611072852

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1611072852

Aarongriffey 01-19-2021 02:23 PM

I changed a few of those when I worked in a gas station.
If they are left in too long they sometimes turn into sludge and you have take the apparent out with spoon. A real mess and no longer working.
If changed regularly they seem to do the job ok.

mfirth 01-19-2021 03:25 PM

No thanks, todays toilet paper falls apart just looking at it....this is no pun...most of it isn't worth a crap.

TJ 01-19-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfirth (Post 1975870)
No thanks, todays toilet paper falls apart just looking at it....this is no pun...most of it isn't worth a crap.

:D:D Way too funny!

aussie merc 01-19-2021 07:12 PM

yeh they have been around for years frantz was popular in aus but again mixed results appears to depend on actual filter quality sum had good results sum had disasters Frantz actually supplied genuine rolls and a list of suitable replacements but outside this NO WARRANTY NO EXCEPTIONS

tubman 01-19-2021 07:36 PM

Read my post #12 again. My dad sold and used these for several years without such an occurrence or any complaints.

Put a roll of toilet paper in your OEM housing at your own peril.