The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   short model a film (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258523)

dougal 02-01-2019 04:41 AM

short model a film

Hi

i have added a film to this page https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...-a.html#page=1

please let me know your thoughts, and any good tyre related photographs. specially period ones and pressure recommendations would be great

johnbuckley 02-01-2019 06:43 AM

Re: short model a film

And Dear Cousins in the USA please weep whilst glancing the prices we have to pay for tyres (aka tires) over here. ( 1£GBP=approx 1.31$) thus a Michelin tire is $374, and a Firestone is $295 (each!) However we do have consolations, no drought, great tea served with milk and lovely warm beer.:)

marty in Ohio 02-01-2019 07:52 AM

John,
I'd pay the higher price if I didn't have to drink the warm beer!
Marty

30 Closed Cab PU 02-01-2019 09:21 AM

Thanks for posting the video, was interesting to see the side by side comparison on tread patterns and physical differences of the different types of tyres (English spelling).

dougal 02-01-2019 11:45 AM

Now hang on a minute!

I don't mind that you guys speak with funny accents.

i don't mind that you can't spell tyres properly.

i can even cope with the fact that you can't make a decent cup of tea, by drinking coffee when i'm over there.

However insulting our beer! -- Now that is strong stuff. there is a misconception that our beer is warm. that is not completely true. It is fair to say that our beer is not as heavily chilled as your beer is. that is because our beer actually tastes nice, and we enjoy the flavor. And yes if i drink american beer i want it as cold as possible to help me recover from the disappointment that the flavor offers.

I am however a big fan of the model A Ford. I have a model A engine fitted in this car that i am doing tyre testing in for safety reasons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxx1Zn-NaW8&t=12s

I hope you find it informative. If you do please share it with your friends, then we can all stay safe.

30 Closed Cab PU 02-01-2019 02:09 PM

At least we drive on the correct side of the road, along with most of the rest of the world:D All of us here of here love the A, we have that in common

woofa.express 02-01-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougal (Post 1722391)
Now hang on a minute!

I don't mind that you guys speak with funny accents.

i don't mind that you can't spell tyres properly.

i can even cope with the fact that you can't make a decent cup of tea, by drinking coffee when i'm over there.

However insulting our beer! -- Now that is strong stuff. there is a misconception that our beer is warm. that is not completely true. It is fair to say that our beer is not as heavily chilled as your beer is. that is because our beer actually tastes nice, and we enjoy the flavor. And yes if i drink american beer i want it as cold as possible to help me recover from the disappointment that the flavor offers.

I am however a big fan of the model A Ford. I have a model A engine fitted in this car that i am doing tyre testing in for safety reasons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxx1Zn-NaW8&t=12s

I hope you find it informative. If you do please share it with your friends, then we can all stay safe.

you poms are difficult to follow. You reckon a 25C day is hot and your beer is cold ??????????????????????????????????

mfarley 02-01-2019 03:13 PM

Look at the tax on the tires listed. 20%? Yikes, I thought our government was thirsty.

30 Closed Cab PU 02-01-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfarley (Post 1722462)
Look at the tax on the tires listed. 20%? Yikes, I thought our government was thirsty.

Possible effects of "Free" Health Care and other services. Also possible reason for their high cost of gas. Their prices are per liter, basically a U.S. quart. Last I remember their cost per gallon is roughly 3x what we are paying - ouch!

Jeff/Illinois 02-01-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbuckley (Post 1722309)
a Michelin tire is $374, and a Firestone is $295 (each!)

OUCH:eek::eek::eek::eek: Holy cow that takes the fun out of having an old car that and your high fuel prices

1ton 02-01-2019 05:28 PM

All I heard was beer.

burner31 02-02-2019 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You crack me up dougal, I love the banter. It makes me smile
Being Irish/German I can drink my beer cold or room temperature, but mostly I like it free

dubnutty 02-03-2019 09:50 AM

Nothing beats a lovely Boddingtons Bitter hand pulled from the tap!!!!!! OH, the creamy delight!!!! But seriously, all I heard was BEER!

1930artdeco 02-03-2019 12:39 PM

Welcome to the barn! When I was in England I LOVED it! Can't speak fo the beer as I don't drink it. But your tea is outstanding.

Mike

JBill 02-03-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbuckley (Post 1722309)
And Dear Cousins in the USA please weep whilst glancing the prices we have to pay for tyres (aka tires) over here. ( 1£GBP=approx 1.31$) thus a Michelin tire is $374, and a Firestone is $295 (each!) However we do have consolations, no drought, great tea served with milk and lovely warm beer.:)

Change public houses. When I lived in the UK for a couple of years, the beer (Real Ale) was cool ("cellar temperature") not warm.

Rusty Karz 02-06-2019 11:31 AM

I would assume we drank it "cellar Temperature" until the wide spread advent of refrigeration. I like those heavy Stouts myself and yes they have a great deal more flavor. Not the sort of thing you "chug" but drink more moderately.

veggie 02-06-2019 11:44 AM

Where is this Ford beer barn?

EJ 02-07-2019 05:02 AM

It is painful the price of gas here in the UK but its going to have to go up a lot more to stop me us using our Sherman (A) .

gweilbaker 02-07-2019 06:00 AM

The chill vs cold problem maybe with the "Lucas" fridge:D

30 Closed Cab PU 02-07-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1722472)
Possible effects of "Free" Health Care and other services. Also possible reason for their high cost of gas. Their prices are per liter, basically a U.S. quart. Last I remember their cost per gallon is roughly 3x what we are paying - ouch!

I was mistaken, England gas is about twice the price of gas in the U.S. Below link was taken last year when gas was $2.99/us gallon, and equivalent price in England per gallon.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...und-the-world/

Reasons why? Below is taken from a 2005 CNN article.

"Gas prices around the world
Think you pay a lot for gas? Perhaps you'd prefer to live in Venezuela.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) � Gasoline prices in the United States, which have recently hit record highs, are actually much lower than in many countries. Drivers in some European cities, like Amsterdam and Oslo, are paying nearly 3 times more than those in the U.S.

The main factor in price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.

In a few Latin America and Middle-East nations, such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said."