The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   non restrictive aircleaner (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269689)

estout81 09-19-2019 11:20 AM

non restrictive aircleaner

3 Attachment(s)
Think this will flow enough air for a flathead?

flatheadmurre 09-19-2019 11:45 AM

Re: non restrictive aircleaner

More about the quality of the filter element then size sometimes...
What may work from start can clog up very fast.
Those small round ones with a KN filter works...with the cheap crappy filters they come original equipped with itīs like putting a cork in...

supereal 09-19-2019 12:01 PM

We have converted all oil bath air cleaners to modern paper filters available at NAPA. No more oil mess, and the flow is unrestricted. When in place, it does not alter the appearance of the cleaner.

Darrell S 09-19-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supereal (Post 1800832)
We have converted all oil bath air cleaners to modern paper filters available at NAPA. No more oil mess, and the flow is unrestricted. When in place, it does not alter the appearance of the cleaner.

Is there a paper filter that will fit into the original air cleaner?

51 MERC-CT 09-19-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell S (Post 1800852)

Most oil bath filters may need a little modification and ingenuity to prepare the cleaner assembly for the installation of a dry filter.
Then measurements have to be made to determine what size filter will work.
This site (K&N) will give some of the sizes available by plugging in the size you need.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/uni...und-air-filter

tubman 09-19-2019 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it doesn't flow enough the way it is, it looks like you have enough room to stack one filter element on top of another. That's what I did with the 2GC on my '51. You just need to make longer mounting studs.:D

RKS.PA 09-19-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell S (Post 1800852)

Although this doesn't relate to the OP question, we did a recent post on converting the original oil bath to a paper...in my case WIX....filter. Check Search for the postings.

RKS.PA 09-19-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estout81 (Post 1800814)

Your setup sure looks sweet!! How does it perform under varying driving conditions?:confused:

estout81 09-19-2019 10:31 PM

RKS,
Thanks. Haven't tried it out yet. Just put it on today but, had other things to do and didn't get to drive it.

Ford Freak 09-19-2019 10:55 PM

Where did you get the 2 carb mounts in the first (far left) pic ?

40 Deluxe 09-19-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estout81 (Post 1800814)

Looks far better than those upside-down chromed soup cans that are seen far too often!

chap52 09-20-2019 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ended up using scoops with foam inserts on my dual 94's. Ran great. I first tried the chrome cans and couldn't get the carbs to sync properly. Chap

tubman 09-20-2019 09:11 AM

"Chap52" - What kind of foam is that? Is it something special? I would think just plain foam rubber stuffed into the scoops would be quite restrictive. No criticism, just a little curiosity.:confused:

19Fordy 09-20-2019 09:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I used 2 similar set ups on a Holly 390 and it works fine. First photo uses a Kand N filter.
I forget what filter came with the 2nd photo but it worked fine also.

estout81 09-20-2019 10:28 AM

Ford Freak,
The top and bottom plates I made. I used the bottom part of the little chrome air cleaners to adapt the bottom plate to the carburetors. Bottom plate is a piece of metal cut out of an old car hood and the top is a piece of .050 aluminum. The filter is a NAPA Gold 6150.

Ford Freak 09-20-2019 05:29 PM

estout81 - Ok - thanks . You did a great job ! - F F

Ford Freak 09-20-2019 05:32 PM

19Fordy - That is one sweet looking engine . Nice work !!

Ford Freak 09-20-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1801144)
"Chap52" - What kind of foam is that? Is it something special? I would think just plain foam rubber stuffed into the scoops would be quite restrictive. No criticism, just a little curiosity.:confused:

tubman makes a good point . I was thinking the same thing because I did something similar yrs. ago , and the engine ran a little on the rich side .
It was as if I had the choke partially closed , restricting the air . However , I may have used some foam that was too restrictive , as I got it from an upolstery shop . Your results may vary . F F

estout81 09-20-2019 05:46 PM

Thanks for the complement Ford Freak but, I think 19Forty out did me.

chap52 09-21-2019 07:23 AM

Tubman,
The foam that came with the scoops didn't look like anything "special". It was quite porous and did not seem to restrict flow. I no longer have the truck so I can't take any more pictures.
As I recall, originally the foam was just placed between the scoop and the carb. I cut a round piece of 1/4 inch hardware screen material and placed it between the carb and foam. I was concerned that wimpy foam placed directly over the top of an air sucking carb was asking for trouble. Chap