The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   U Joint Quality (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273664)

Mulletwagon 12-06-2019 09:01 AM

U Joint Quality

Does anybody make a high quality US-made U joint ? Are 1928 -1948 U joints interchangeable ? Not impressed with a foreign-made unit I have. Spline bores appear to be off center and there is perceptible axial play.

ryanheacox 12-06-2019 09:08 AM

Re: U Joint Quality

Call up Berts and see if he has a good used one. That's the route I went after he told me the rebuild kits are poor quality. The one he sent me looked and felt almost brand new.

Alternatively, Bob Drake makes a modern replacement that uses needle bearings. Have read mixed reviews on it.

midgetracer 12-06-2019 10:54 AM

The 28-48 U joints are interchangeable I believe. that is the ones where you can replace the wear parts.

Bob C 12-06-2019 12:56 PM

I checked five, some NOS, and all have about 1/16" axial play.

rotorwrench 12-06-2019 02:49 PM

I think the one with the needles is a copy of the Lincoln U-joint.

Mulletwagon 12-06-2019 03:50 PM

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=HB-7090

Looking hard at the Bob Drake option. Since the needle bearings are sealed the unit would probably not benefit from filling the U joint enclosure with mega grease. Quality looks good but do not know if US-manufactured. Anybody have any experience or info on this unit ?

Synchro909 12-06-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1828723)
Does anybody make a high quality US-made U joint ? Are 1928 -1948 U joints interchangeable ? Not impressed with a foreign-made unit I have. Spline bores appear to be off center and there is perceptible axial play.

Not trying to pick a fight here but just because something is US made doesn't mean it's high quality and just because something is "foriegn" made doesn't mean it is not.
The US has about 5% of the world's population. That means that to 95% of people, US made is "foreign made".

1931 flamingo 12-06-2019 03:51 PM

Call them...................
Paul in CT

J Franklin 12-06-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1828886)
Not trying to pick a fight here but just because something is US made doesn't mean it's high quality and just because something is "foriegn" made doesn't mean it is not.
The US has about 5% of the world's population. That means that to 95% of people, US made is "foreign made".

Your right!

ursus 12-06-2019 05:14 PM

There was some discussion of the needle-bearing U-joints on the Early V8 Forum a while back and the consensus seemed to be that this type of bearing was unnecessary in an application where there was no full rotation around an axis. These were used in some Lincolns of that era and many assumed that made them better than the Ford supplied bushing U-joints, but actual use showed no advantage.

40 Deluxe 12-07-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1828886)

Good point!

V8COOPMAN 12-07-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1828885)
https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=HB-7090

Looking hard at the Bob Drake option. Since the needle bearings are sealed the unit would probably not benefit from filling the U joint enclosure with mega grease. Quality looks good but do not know if US-manufactured. Anybody have any experience or info on this unit ?

There has NOT been much (if any) good to say about Bob's repro Lincoln joint....do a search re: "Bob Drake U-joints". Contact Fred Wilmer at Southside Obsolete for REAL Ford NOS joints. Send Fred a PM...he goes by "barnfind08" here on the 'Barn. DD

Mulletwagon 12-07-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1829111)
There has NOT been much (if any) good to say about Bob's repro Lincoln joint....do a search re: "Bob Drake U-joints". Contact Fred Wilmer at Southside Obsolete for REAL Ford NOS joints. Send Fred a PM...he goes by "barnfind08" here on the 'Barn. DD

Did some research and agree. Needle bearings appear to be not the way to go on torque tube drive lines. Since the shafts are restrained they must be in perfect alignment to avoid side loads on the joint. The bushing type joints readily accommodate minor lateral misalignment. Many antique Lincoln owners report they retrofit their rides with bushed joints because they last much longer. Appreciate the input and recommendation. NOS is clearly the best route to go.

Hitman 12-07-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1829115)
Did some research and agree. Needle bearings appear to be not the way to go on torque tube drive lines. Since the shafts are restrained they must be in perfect alignment to avoid side loads on the joint. The bushing type joints readily accommodate minor lateral misalignment. Many antique Lincoln owners report they retrofit their rides with bushed joints because they last much longer. Appreciate the input and recommendation. NOS is clearly the best route to go.

This isn't true at all. Drake u-joints don't work well on A's because of the angles, which are different than the longer V8 drive shafts.

Rumors and speculation are dangerous.

Tom Endy 12-07-2019 10:58 PM

Recently there U-joints on the market supplied by your favorite supplier that were too wide to properly fit inside the U-joint housing. Most of the better suppliers pulled them from their inventory when they were advised of the problem. Other suppliers didn't. So beware!

Out here in California serviceable original U-joints are seen all the time at swap meets for next to nothing.

Tom Endy

Synchro909 12-08-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Endy (Post 1829360)
Recently there U-joints on the market supplied by your favorite supplier that were too wide to properly fit inside the U-joint housing. Most of the better suppliers pulled them from their inventory when they were advised of the problem. Other suppliers didn't. So beware!

Out here in California serviceable original U-joints are seen all the time at swap meets for next to nothing.

Tom Endy

So it's a very different scene from here. A serviceable uni joint is pretty rare.
As I've said before, you guys don't know how good you've got it.